The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Can Anybody Name This Effect/Accessory??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
This is what I saw when this was demonstrated at a local magic get-together: the performer cupped his hands together and a miniature pair of hands and arms slowly poked out of his hands to pick up the sponge ball left on the table.

Sure, it was basically nothing more than a pair of plastic "doll arms", but his smooth handling made it look downright spooky! (the open end of the "arms" were pushed onto the thumb and little finger of his covered hand)

Now, before I go out and start cutting the arms off of inocent dolls, does anybody know an on-line source for this item? (and the name, if it has one)

Thanks - Ron
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
It sounds like Arlen's "Creature" but with arms... I believe he said he was going to make an arms version of it, instead of the face... perhaps you could contact him.
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
It's maybe John Hiatt's Magician's Helper. Works on the same principle as Judy the Mouse.

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Close-up/CU27.htm#MAGICIAN'S HELPER by JOHN HIATT

Except this is just one tiny hand, and not a pair of arms. What you saw could have been just a finger puppet from the local toy emporium.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I've been doing this for years on St Pat's day as a leprauchan. I think I actually got it from a Penn and Teller book years ago. Instead of two arms I use one arm and a leg. Cupping your hands just right it looks like you really have something, or someone in your hand struggling to get away. Sometimes it really creaps people out. I just do it as an aside like I'm catching one off the floor and putting it to the pocket. I've found the perfect items to use to make it as realistic as possible if you want to PM me.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
John Riggs was the first to publish the idea I believe, he also contributed it to Steve Beam's magazine "Trapdoor" some years back. It can be found in "The Magic of John Riggs" (1995)where it is called "Mr. Jimmy". This was before John went completely over to the dark side (mentalism). Steve Beam sometimes includes it in his lecture. I wasn't/aren't aware of anyone marketing this.

Paul.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I mentioned this to my partner and we both think it may have actually been in Magic for Dummies also. One of our students brought it to class many years ago.
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Appreciate your solid leads and great suggestions!
I'll follow up on all the info.

Thanks - Ron
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
I've had so many messages about this simple gag that I'm sending everyone to my video archive where I keep short clips of every effect I learn.

Email me for the link.

You can see the handling and supplies I used. I have also used this with the pixie dust joke and with a croc hunter accent "I'll have to save this beaut for the blender."

Christopher
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
And whats wrong with the mutilating dolls idea? Go for it!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
531 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Is it wrong when it becomes ritualistic? I saw whatever a guy wants to do with his dolls and sharp implements is his business, and I hardly ever make my daughter watch the procedure.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
It is in magic for dummies.
sniper1
View Profile
Veteran user
malta eu
343 Posts

Profile of sniper1
Cnn news report . the serial killer better known as the barbie doll ripper is still at large and scaring the whole lot of barbie dolls . last night another body of a barbie doll was found missing 2 arms and a leg . what could be the motive behind such macabre mutilations . Smile
THE MOST CRAZY MAGICIAN ON THE MALTESE ISLANDS
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Quote:
On 2004-01-28 10:56, Paul wrote:
John Riggs was the first to publish the idea I believe,

I believe it was in fact Bob Farmer published under the title "The Miracle of Life" published in Gary Ouellet's column Fulminations in Genii magazine.

MS
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Elite user
Magic Forest
428 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Guilty! I invented this trick. I've never heard of the other guys claiming to have invented it. Keith Lack's authorized version, "Creature," has a nice twist on the idea -- a little head appears.

I prefer the hand because it's a lot sillier.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Can Anybody Name This Effect/Accessory??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL