The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opening approaches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
What do you use as an openining effect or what do you say if you are going to approach a table of strangers in a paid or unpaid environment....hey wanna see something? nah!
magicalsongwriter
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magicalsongwriter
My best opener is to approach a group of people with a dollar bill and say "Hello I'm Jeff. I'm the restaurant magician. Do you have change for a dollar? preferably 4 quarters" I then quickly say "never mind I'll just change this into 4 quarters" and I go into the mismade bill. It's quick, visual, and then I ask if they would like to see more. If not then it was only 20 seconds of their time and I move on. Hope this helps. Jeff Blum
bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
Thanks, but I am thinking more for mentalism.
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi Bigdunk007

I would recommend you take a look at "Pure Effect" by Derren Brown. I think he covers this issue very well with advice on what kind of routines to use to open and also the psychology behind what to say to put your audience at ease and make them eager to see your effects.

Hope that helps.
Dave
scottr
View Profile
New user
Michigan
69 Posts

Profile of scottr
Bigdunk,

I posted recently about how I think Jim Steinmeyer's column in MAGIC has some wonderful thinking in regard to presenting mentalism.

In January's issue he shared some great thoughts on opening a show, and then goes onto share a really great mentalism effect as an example.

Worth hunting up!

Scott
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are working in a venue, it helps to have some kind of sign or other indication that you are actually an "official" part of the goings-on, such as a lobby board. This makes it much easier to approach a table.

Walk up to them and say, "Yes, I'd be glad to read your mind. Would you like for me to do it again?"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
LOL...Good one, Bill.
bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
Any good first words, or mentalism effects to introduce yourself as a mentalist without having to state that!?
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I usually wait for an opportunity when someone starts talking about mystical or psychic stuff or when someone who has seen me do this stuff before asks me to show everyone something. This is my favorite way of doing it, but have just said right off that I wanted to show them something.

Anabelle
Mel Toyer
View Profile
Loyal user
Luton, England
216 Posts

Profile of Mel Toyer
This has absolutely nothing to do with this post, magic or mentalism so before I continue, I apologise.

I am completely computer unfriendly, and it makes me smile like a big girl (I am a man, by the way, regardless of my name) when I figure out such things.

IMO = In my opinion
IMHO = In my honest opinion

For the life of me I can't figure out LOL.

Please excuse my ignorance but someone please help. I am beginning to lose sleep.

Thanks in advance.

Mel (MALE)
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Mel,

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

Hope that clears things up a little... Oh LOL = Laugh Out Loud

ROTFLAMO!
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
I think you mean ROTFLMAO.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Mel Toyer
View Profile
Loyal user
Luton, England
216 Posts

Profile of Mel Toyer
ROTFLAMO?

Please don't do this to me. LOL
bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
OK good one, guys.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
ROTFLMAO. Rolling On The Floor Laughing My --- Off.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
IMO, enough already!

Here is one of the openers I have used for a stage venue after being introduced.

"Good evening, I'm Marelli and I am pleased to be with you tonight. We are going to have some fun as we explore the powers of the mind. To be successful I will need your help, so if you are asked to volunteer please do so, because maybe, just maybe you will learn something new and wonderful about yourself."

If you look at the structure, it contains some subtle triggers to get the audience with you including a "hook" at the end.

Proceed into the first effect. One I used to use was my version of Bob Cassidy's Flying Saucer.
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
bigdunk007
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of bigdunk007
I'm thinking of in a more close up setting. "Hi, I'm the entertainment," or such...makes me think of a magician and as a mentalist---it's good to leave this thinking outside...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opening approaches (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL