The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Is effective to start busking with only cards or ropes? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, DeadMoney wrote:
Yellowcustard: thank you for your help...you too even if a very important part of your act is done by ropes adopted for opening without ropes but with other tools like sponge balls and bananas...any comment and reasoning why you choice to not use ropes for that?

When I watch a show I like to see variety. Also the reason I use the effects are as follows.
1) Endless Bananas- Visual and repeats, I aslo can talk and start to build edge.
2) Sponge balls from purse frame- Muilty phase so I can keep pulling people in and happens in a kids hands. Its also small so pepoel have to come close.
- A few joke and bits of business-
3) Egg bag- Plays big lot of joke and crowd involvement. Also use od a spectator.
4) Rope- Great stand alone piece just me and the rope. Muilty phase can be enshrined or drawn out. also stop for jokes and hat-lines.

I am sure there are rope/ card tricks that do all the above but for me I like variety. There no deep and meaningfully and to some extent it what worked for me at the time.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Yes...that structure make a lot of sense...it looks perfect, lot of engagement, extremely visual, angle proof, situational comedy, family oriented (involves and use child reaction to make a show too) etc ... I don't know what's wrong with my mind ,
I tend to focus on one prop show Smile Smile
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
STOP THINKING START DOING IT. select three to five eefect and go out. you want to make a perfect show and then do it on the street. that is not going to happen. you have to learn the street. then slowly you will get there and start routining your show.
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Yep Smile
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
STOP THINKING START DOING IT. select three to five eefect and go out. you want to make a perfect show and then do it on the street. that is not going to happen. you have to learn the street. then slowly you will get there and start routining your show.

DEADMONEY I know you read now do it.

I would say go out with a sign saying magic and just do some small set for a few pepole like 5 or so. Do a effect you know well and have performed a lot. This day is not about making money are building a edge what you need to see is how the streets are diffrent.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Deadmoney,
You can start with doing a 'sidewalk' show with cards, sponge balls etc to 5-6 people.

You may check out Will Stelfox (sp?) DVD on busking. He has some vids on youtube giving advice on busking.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
From what I know Stelfox in not a busker he is a magician... I know (I have seen in video) at the moment only of Gazzo, Kozmo, Jimmy talkalot...each of this three has a different style...especially on how to make people stop...they use complete opposite ways to make people stop...they of course are all extremely good...

The Stelfox dvd, for what I know is not a busking dvd, in the sense that he does not present a busking act...
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Yes I have to start very small with a "sidewalk" for few people and learn form that... Smile
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
I have watched Gazzo live...he is world class..good idea..how to start small...lots of good lines...
quietriot
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of quietriot
Be willing to start small, and learn.

Once you get a small crowd, start thinking about how to get more. Are people walking by? Why can't you get them to stop too?

I snag the first few with some colorful card flourishes with a fanning deck (American flag deck from walmart for $2.99) and clever patter. I always use a table as a base of operations. It is probably a weakness on my part, but it is my crutch,, so I carry it.

Then I go to Sankey's paper clipped. I make a big deal of the folded and paper clipped prediction card. I get the few folks to "guard it" for me, so that if anyone, especially me, goes near it, they yell at the top of their lungs. Then I pick up the card, and if they didn't get it yet, I remind them in a teasing way. If they do, and they yell, I just drop and tell them what quick learners they are. And others start coming over to hear what the yelling is all about. Everyone once in a while I look away, and try to get the prediction card again, and again either I remind them of their job, or acknowledge their diligence.

By now I usually have a nice crowd. If not I wash, rinse, and repeat the move to the prediction card, and get the yelling going again.

Then I finish the effect, reveal the signed card, and ask if they want to see another card trick. No matter what they say, I say, me neither and go on to the next phase, rings, cups and balls, or rope. I do whichever I feel good about, and have prepared. cups and balls take the most preshow preparation for me, as having oranges and a melon takes preplanning. But is worth it for a big pitch.

David
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Go to YOUTUBE and find street shows. NOT I repeat NOT magic but jugglers or pantomimes, dance. anuthing but magic. it seams that you are so trick driven.
if you want to learn how to write a bestseller book you have to learn first your Alphabet then writhing then learning how to write a story. the most interesting part of a street show is how they start and gather a crowd. ask yourself the question WHY DO JUGGLERS GET A HUGE CROWD? WHAT ARE THEY DOING AND MAGIC IS NOT?
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
DeadMoney: it's been a month since your first post here.
How are things going about getting out on the street and working magic with folk?

It can be pretty scary standing out there alone. Maybe take a friend to stand off to one side for come company.
And s/he can stand in front of you at times as the first person to entertain.

You need to get out on the street to do almost all of your learning of how to be a street magician and how to become even better at it.

Regards.
The presentation makes the magic.
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
In middle/end January I will start doing busking daily for the first time...

It seems finally I have fixed the routine/lines/gags, no table no cartel no gimmicks of any kind, a deck of cards and a marker in my left pocket and 2 coins and a ring in the right pocket, a rope instead of a belt to unknot and put it down eventually...I will be alone...and abroad...I like to feel the pain Smile
DeadMoney
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of DeadMoney
Quietriot thank you for your tips.

ROBERT BLAKE about getting a crowd there are different styles..even between street magicians. I have made my choice for the moment time will tell.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I wish you all the luck. it is not the style that you play the game. it is first knowing the rules. how you play it is up to you. all the best.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
DeadMoney: I wish you well out on the streets. They're a great place for improving your magic.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Is effective to start busking with only cards or ropes? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL