The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gluing a playing card inside a bottle of gin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Milo&Tock
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Milo&Tock
As part of a comedy prediction effect, I would like to reveal the prediction as a card glued to the inside of a bottle of gin. (The card is not signed, and the contents are real gin because that ties into the historical story I'm framing around the effect). Also, the gin needs to be drinkable.

Couldn't find anything on the Café about this, and since I'd be experimenting with real gin, I wanted to run this past people who know more about this than I. I'm guessing that the alcohol in the gin would eat away at any glue or tape used to affix the card inside the bottle. Hell, might eat away at the card itself.

Any thoughts? Worst case I could affix the card to the outside of the bottle, but that drops a layer of "Wow" that I'd prefer to keep.

Much thanks!
Milo&Tock
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Milo&Tock
I should add that I'm not quite a newbie -- I had over 100 posts under my previous name, ConstantineTCB, but had to start fresh with this account Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The card in a bottle is an old classic trick, very popular in England. It is not a new idea. It has never been done with liquid in the bottle, and it gets great reactions.

You are correct, that mixing toxic ink and glues with drinkable spirits is a law suit waiting to happen. I think it is just common sense, even if you are the one drinking it and not the spectators.

I guess you could show a sealed bottle have someone chug-lug it down and then switch the bottle with the card.

An idea that may work is to place the card in a plastic bag, squeeze out all the air and seal with a zip or heat sealer. This will make it able to roll and or bend the card into the bottle, and it will recover from the bend because it is in a vacuum. Also that may work with the gin, if you wash the sealed card and rinse very well before putting it into the bottle.

Give it a try.

Note: The Café offers you to change your name on all your old post to a new name. It is to late now, but you should have checked the policies before creating a new account. Unless you lost your password or something. Just thought I would let you know if you did not know it is possible to change your screen name.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I don't understand the reason for gluing it inside. If the bottle is of a certain size, the card will be suspended in a relative upright position and be quite visible inside.

That aside, what about using a plastic card. It may be impervious to the effects of alcohol.

Worth experimenting, I think. I'm sure a gentle rolling of the card would be enough to get it in the bottle, where it would spring back open again.

http://customizedplayingcards.net/custom......ds3.html
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Milo&Tock
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Milo&Tock
Bill, thanks for the tips. And yes, the new account was because I was away for a while and couldn't recover my old account password. The bag idea is a good one, I'll test that.

Michael, the reason for securing the card in the bottle was that I'd be pouring a drink during the effect, and I presumed an unsecured card would be floating around while fluid was moving.

The good news is, I've had a Bicycle card submerged in Tanqueray for 24 hours and it appears intact. Anyone want a drink to test toxicity? Smile
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I'd be happy to test for toxicity. For validity and to ensure no taste impairment, I'll need you to send me a fifth of Tanqueray with the card and another unopened fifth of Tanqueray for taste comparison.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2014, TheRaven wrote:
I'd be happy to test for toxicity. For validity and to ensure no taste impairment, I'll need you to send me a fifth of Tanqueray with the card and another unopened fifth of Tanqueray for taste comparison.

Actually you'll probably need a couple testers to make sure. I'll do it for the same deal TheRaven stated.
Milo&Tock
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Milo&Tock
I am blown away by the selflessness of you guys! Let me get right on that!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gluing a playing card inside a bottle of gin (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL