The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Your Bill Switch presentation. (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
166 Posts

Profile of limkris
Borrow the bill, examine it, say it's a fake, put a stamp on it 'counterfeit', say 'it's a joke, I will remove the ink', fold the bill and change it to a white paper with the 'counterfeit' mark.
(This is not my idea)
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
Quote:
On 2004-01-31 12:56, Kristof Limbo wrote:
Borrow the bill, examine it, say it's a fake, put a stamp on it 'counterfeit', say 'it's a joke, I will remove the ink', fold the bill and change it to a white paper with the 'counterfeit' mark.
(This is not my idea)

This is one of the phases of Barry Govan's "I.O.U. $20" , except he uses a money maker which I think is better because it is like the money maker actually peels the ink of the bill off, leaving the residue of the counterfeit.
TJ
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I also saw the Couterfeit thing on Scotty York's Professional Tricky Bartender video.
Click to visit:
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
My guess it that Scotty got it from Bob Sheets who performed it in the 70's in a bar/dinner theater in Aspen, Colorado, that he and Steve Spill owned.

Scotty, Bob, Steve and I (as well as others) performed at a dinner theater/bar in Washington, D.C., in the 80's and I recall Bob talking about it back then (although I don't recall him claiming originality and I don't know who the creator is).

In Aspen, Bob left the counterfeit-marked bill with the spectator and quite a few of them made it into circulation which turned out to be free publicity for the place because whoever spent one elsewhere had to tell the story.

Larry D.

P.S. - Ever see the cigarette/lighter gag Scotty did? That was mine.
DJG
View Profile
Inner circle
1296 Posts

Profile of DJG
<<Ever see the cigarette/lighter gag Scotty did>>

I always thought that bit was cleaver...
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Deceptionguy, thanks, but you never saw it with my presentation (unless you attended one of the Collectors Workshop conventions in D.C. and saw me use it in competition).

To keep things on topic, I really like the Sankey idea that Vraagaard mentions above of magically moving four holes that you've punched in the corners of a bill to one corner. Just like using the mismade bill, my guess is that spectators might conclude that you actually did it instead of switching bills like they frequently conclude when you change one bill into another denomination. It might even be interesting to perform the Sankey effect and pen through bill on the very same bill, moving some of the holes through his method and restoring another "hole" you made by sticking the pen through the bill.

Larry D.
davidcarlo
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of davidcarlo
Using the counterfeit related patter, I start off with green silk from a signed spectator's bill (never pulling completely out) and then led into turning the spectator's "counterfeit bill" into it's real value--about a buck. Then, rather than turn the bill back, and after a false ending to the act, I close with a bill to impossible location, usually a lemon.
Steve Cohen
View Profile
New user
New York City
9 Posts

Profile of Steve Cohen
I perform the $100 bill switch at my shows, and it always creates quite a stir. Here's how it looks. I borrow a $1 bill from a spectator, and change it into a $100 bill. I then hand the $100 bill to the spectator and let her keep it. Really keep it. If I am working walkaround, I do this effect several times throughout the night. The key is to bill back this extra cash outlay to your client. I have a clause describing this effect written into my contract.

-Steve Cohen
http://www.chambermagic.com
davidcarlo
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of davidcarlo
Steve--

Love the idea! Haven't been to your Waldorf show--do you perform that there?
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
I borrow a new fiver, talk about how the money has changed to look more like play money, as I am folding the bill, I say ," if they are going to make it look phony they might as well make million dollar bills" unfold to show the million dollar bill, tell the guy I borrowed the bill from that the million is fake cause there is no such thing as a million dollar bill, then ask if he wants me to try changing it back, during walkaround about 3 or of four tell me they want the million dollar bill, 4 dollars profit..
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2004-02-04 23:18, Steve Cohen wrote:
I perform the $100 bill switch at my shows, and it always creates quite a stir. Here's how it looks. I borrow a $1 bill from a spectator, and change it into a $100 bill. I then hand the $100 bill to the spectator and let her keep it. Really keep it. If I am working walkaround, I do this effect several times throughout the night. The key is to bill back this extra cash outlay to your client. I have a clause describing this effect written into my contract.

Steve,

How in the daylights do you get your clients to go for THAT?! Smile

I work for some pretty high rollers - Siemans, Sandals Resorts, MacDonalds, Weber Grill, Belkin, and the like and they would NEVER go for something like that!

In the course of an evening, one might wind up giving away several thousand dollars, which could seriously effect the bottom line of a hospitality suite event. And I shudder to think what would happen on a trade show floor!

If it wasn't handled really, really well on a trade show floor, one could expect a riot - or to get mugged on the way in the next morning!

Care to give some insight on this aspect of the idea - because, frankly, I think it's fantastic and would love to do it (with your permission, of course!)!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I guess Steve doesn't bill himself has "The Millionaire's Magician" for nothing.

When performing at the Waldorf, a $100 is probably pocket change to the clientle.
Click to visit:
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
I use Sankey's $0 dollar bill switch from no card tricks. In the end when they clearly see that their is only one bill in the purse Smile it totally stumps them. How did you do that!?!
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
magiclou
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magiclou
Nice prentation Dan. I also use the mis-made bill but have a different but similar patter. I just ask the spectator "how many quarters in a dollar" then I do the switch. This get's good reactions but I will try out your patter next time and see how that goes over. Nice.
Fraser Gould
View Profile
New user
Tokyo, Japan
97 Posts

Profile of Fraser Gould
Some great ideas here. I always liked the Sankey idea with the holes in the corners, but figured it wouldn't be as strong to a spectator as changing the actual value of the bill.

I live in Japan and usually present the switch as a new origami piece that I'm working on. The spectator's bill changes from 1000 yen to 10,000 yen, then I jokingly announce I'm going to try for 100,000 yen (such a bill doesn't exist). This is my motivation for the second switch (back to 1000 yen). I do like Marty's idea about promising at the beginning of the trick to return the bill in exactly the form I receive it - will give that a try.

I'm currently thinking about a presentation for newlyweds... I want to present the switch in the form of a "money management lesson" for newlywed men. Any ideas out there?
Fraser Gould
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2014, Fraser Gould wrote:
I always liked the Sankey idea with the holes in the corners, but figured it wouldn't be as strong to a spectator as changing the actual value of the bill.

Can anyone tell me the name of this effect?? I have heard this referenced 5 times by (now) 5 people in 5 days lol and I think its worth looking into but cn find it nowhere! (Almost 2 hours of semi focused google searches and Café searches and just people saying "oh that sankey idea with the holes is neat")

Thanks in advance!
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
RJLockwood, Jay Sankey has hundreds of tricks published in book, Video, and downloads. Near impossible to locate without a name. It may be time to go to the source.

Try to contact Jay Sankey and ask him.

http://www.jaysankey.com/
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of StanleyRosenhouse
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2016, RJLockwood wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2014, Fraser Gould wrote:
I always liked the Sankey idea with the holes in the corners, but figured it wouldn't be as strong to a spectator as changing the actual value of the bill.

Can anyone tell me the name of this effect?? I have heard this referenced 5 times by (now) 5 people in 5 days lol and I think its worth looking into but cn find it nowhere! (Almost 2 hours of semi focused google searches and Café searches and just people saying "oh that sankey idea with the holes is neat")

Thanks in advance!

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYpYRvIB_3I
It's at 51 sec.

The trick is called "Traveling Expense".
http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2008/11/......-as.html
Stan
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
RJLockwood, Jay Sankey has hundreds of tricks published in book, Video, and downloads. Near impossible to locate without a name. It may be time to go to the source.

Try to contact Jay Sankey and ask him.

http://www.jaysankey.com/

Haha fair point Bill.

Quote:
On Jun 13, 2016, StanleyRosenhouse wrote:
Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYpYRvIB_3I
It's at 51 sec.

The trick is called "Traveling Expense".
http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2008/11/......-as.html

Thanks Stanley!
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.
obrienmagic
View Profile
Special user
753 Posts

Profile of obrienmagic
I do a 3 phase bit using extreme burn and greed combined together.

Phase 1: take out the stack of ones and change them into 20s

Phase 2: put the bills in my breast pocket so they are still visible and ask to borrow a $1 from a spectator to increase. Explain that I will increase the bill. Fold it in quarters then unfold it slowly showing the creases in it (bit of a joke of course, but what they do not know is you have just switched their bill out for the greed gimmick.) Then say no seriously though all you have to do is this (perform greed so $1-$5-$10-$20....) Then as you go to hand it out, say you know what... I have never done a fifty before... would you like to have a $50 instead? Then change it to a .50 cent piece and hand it to them. Obviously they will want their dollar back so you take their .50 piece, make it vanish as you say "my mistake let us just forget that ever happened, here I will give you your $1 back then since I messed up..."

Phase 3: perform extreme burn again but this tme change the $20's into $1s and give them a $1 back.

This will go full circle and make it make sense as to why you change the bills back. You are not out any money because you still have the bill you changed earlier n your pocket and the audience is satisfied because he got his $1 back... lol

If they ask "well cant you just give me a $20 instead?" you can say something like, "well before it was your bill, these are mine so sorry, maybe next time?" or something like that. Works for me, though I have not performed this in years. Should give it a go again and see how it does.
Visit my online store at http://www.obrienmagic.com/magic-shop Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Your Bill Switch presentation. (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL