The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Daff Reviews "The Scoop", by Dan Harlan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
For those of us who do children's shows, I've decided to review a prop that I think you really need to look into. It's called "The Scoop", and it's made by the venerable Dan Harlan. Not only made, but HAND made; crafted with meticulous care.
First, here is the link: http://www.danharlanmagic.com/

Now about the product. If you own Dan's "Pack Small, Plays Big Birthday Party Show", you are familiar with the ice-cream routine. If not, all I can say is get it! It's a fabulous, feature effect that will be the hit of your show.

So if you are familiar with this, then you know Dan briefly describes how to make it at home. I suppose some of us are capable, but the time and expense is just too daunting and it would be darn near impossible to create the professional quality that Dan puts in these. I can only tell you Dan takes obvious pride in his craftsmanship, because as I look at "The Scoop" in my hands, it is absolutely seamless! There is not a hint of a weld, and it functions perfectly. The ice-cream looks absolutely and deliciously real!  You could walk into Baskin Robbins with this and fool the people behind the counter! I just simply can not say enough about the quality Dan has put in this. You simply have to see it with your own eyes.

Many of us would not have an easy time making this at home, however,  Dan to the rescue with these beautiful, hand crafted scoops that will make your eyes pop. Words won't do this justice. This is a first class, high quality prop that you'll be proud to put in your shows. 

The scoop itself is highly polished chrome or stainless steel. Very solid and of substantial weight. Not the cheap, flimsy kind.. and the "ice cream" in the scoop looks so delicious you want to eat it. Yummy!(Mine is strawberry). 

"The Scoop" is a pretty versatile prop. If you have an imagination, you can figure out a use for this in your kid's shows. The effect is this: ( from Dan's website): "I'm  sorry, I got so carried away with the beauty of this thing, I forgot to tell you what it does. Basically, Anytime you want you can show “The Scoop!” Empty, use it to scoop a Full-Scoop of Ice-Cream from Anywhere you want, then Deposit the scoop of Ice-Cream into Any Other Thing you want, whereupon said Ice-Cream Vanishes! I always wanted to say “whereupon,” but seriously, think of the possibilities! You can use “The Scoop!” with your Milk Pitcher to Vanish a Milkshake… or Change it into Milky Ways Candybars like Harlan does! You can scoop Ice-Cream into your spectator’s Pocket, Hat, Backpack… or whatever! You can even Change a scoop of Ice-Cream into a Folded, Signed Playing Card in your spectator’s hands, if you want! If you have your own TV Special, you can visibly Change one Flavor of Ice-Cream into a Different Flavor… just ask Harlan first (he’ll consult for you)!

“The Scoop!” makes a Milk Pitcher cool… or “The Scoop!” can be used by itself to replace the Milk Pitcher. No matter how you decide to use “The Scoop!” we know you’ll find a flavor you like! Comes standard in your choice of Vanilla, Chocolate, or Strawberry." (And Dan will do custom flavors at your request.)

So, as you can see, if you do kid's shows, you not only are going to want the versatility of this fun prop in your shows, Daff says you NEED  it! 

Has Dan ever let us  down before? When I think of "Suspended Funds", "The Awakening", "Vortex", "Cardtoon", "Hover Card", and literally dozens more from the mind of the ever prolific Mr. Harlan, I have to say an unequivocal "No!", Dan always comes through. And he most certainly has this time. "The Scoop" is a wonderful prop with dozens of possibilities that you are hurting yourself if you don't get one for your kid's shows. In fact, I'd have to say it's not just limited to kid's shows. After all, who doesn't like ice-cream? Your audiences are going to love the scoop, and so will you! So get one. Shoot, get two or three in all the flavors! Just don't try to lick it, though, as you may be tempted! 

So that's the scoop on "The Scoop" from Daff's perspective. If I were you, I'd grab one of these while Dan is still making them. Definitely one of the best investments in your kid's or family show that you could ever ask for. I recommend it unhesitatingly. 

"The Scoop" gets *****a happy five stars from me. 
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I guess I'd better buy one of these Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You won't be sorry.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Another reason I recommend this is because it is so different and UNIQUE! Honestly. When was the last time you saw a magician do a trick with scoops of ice cream??

To my knowledge, this is the first time in the history of magic that ice-cream has ever been used in a magic act. The reasons should be obvious . Ice cream is sticky and cold and messy and it MELTS! Not exactly properties that make it conducive to magic applications!

Of course the ice cream in Dan's scoop is not real. But it sure looks like it! Very realistic and your audience will not be able to tell the difference.

And another reason to use "The Scoop": Ice cream has a natural, universal appeal! Millions of people love ice-cream, and by using it in your show, you are adding an appeal that is hard to duplicate in standard effects.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
If anybody is not convinced of what I'm saying concerning the quality of this, send me a message and I'll send you a photo or a video of my scoop. You'll like it!
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
I bought The Scoop when it first came out because I liked the idea of it, but haven't used it until this year when all the stars seemed to align.

First, I had no idea where I was supposed to get the ice cream from. That was solved when I bought a Hank Morehouse Cube table, although it's my understanding that it wasn't Hank's design. Anyway, it's a cube that sits on a tripod stand and opens from the top and back, and you can keep the back open while having the top closed. This reminded me of the old time ice cream or Italian ice carts, so that solved the problem of where the ice cream comes from. Now for the fun.

I was booked to perform at a Fall Festival this year. At this festival kids visit the various stores in town dressed up in costume and those stores that are participating give out treats to the kids. I'm booked as a street magician.

I finish one of my sets and say, "Wow, you guys have trick or treat bags? Would you like a special treat? I have some right here."

At this point the kids are excited and the parents are pushing the kids toward me so they won't miss out on the treat. Soon I have a little crowd of knee knockers in front of me. I reach into the back of the cube, take out the empty scoop, hold it up in the air and ask, "Who likes ice cream?" They all yell "I do" and a puzzled look comes over the parents' faces.

I dip back into the back of the cube, activate special magicalness and come out with a scoop of strawberry ice cream. "I hope you like strawberry" is said as I take the scoop and dip it into the first kid's bag and let go. The scoop comes out clean. I repeat this for the rest of the kids.

The "look" of the day was little kids holding up their bags and buckets to their faces while they are rolling the candy around trying to find out what happened to the ice cream. I would then say, "Oh, don't worry, it's MAGIC ice cream. Right now it's invisible so it won't melt. But don't forget to put it in the freezer when you get home." The parents were cracking up and having a ball.

Okay, I didn't use it as a magic trick, but it was worth every penny paid for the amount of fun I had with it that day.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Like I said in my review, although we've heard it said before to the point of triteness, and it often turns out to be hype: "Limited only by your imagination".

In the case of "The Scoop", it is absolutely and verifiably true. If you have a smidgen of imagination, you can find a fun, magical place for this prop in your shows.

Dan has come up with a true winner! The magic world owes him a debt of gratitude for his many contributions. Next to "Cardtoon", "The Scoop" is near the top of my list.

I bought this for my kid's show, but my mind is spinning out of control thinking of uses in my family and all purpose show.

If you guys don't have one yet, man, you GOTTA get this!

And Dan is really wonderful to deal with. Always treated me good. Very approachable. Friendly. Hasn't let his status in the magic community go to his head..
waldorfcartoons
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of waldorfcartoons
I use this in conjunction with my paper mache ice cream tub (that I keep in my pocket!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Daff Reviews "The Scoop", by Dan Harlan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL