The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Queens Out of Control (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings: Having now sat down and watched Queens Out Of Control, and played with the cards, here are my observations for what they are worth.
First off the cards are Not Fox lake backs, nor are they bicycle as pointed out above. If you really wanted to make this up in other cards, I do not see where the problem is. You would not have to hand make the cards at all, just obtain your jokers and queens from the various backs you wish to use. You could have tally-ho Circle, tally-ho fan, bicycle fan, squeezers, or just about any other pattern backs that you wish to finish with. The cards that come with it are fine and I am sure many who buy this will adapt it to their personal needs and desires.
This is not the first magic trick that comes with a DVD for instructional purposes. Somewhere, someplace, someone started the trend back in the time of videos hitting the market, that they could not follow instructions in print or in books. The market then flooded videos out to fill that desire of having someone teach you on film. At that time the same people who wanted video instruction claimed that the price was now too high due to the video. They still wanted the video instruction, but they also wanted the low price. Today I hear from so many people that they cannot follow a book or instructions, and they wish there was a video or DVD that would teach them.
I guess it is just a sign of the times, but after all, this is what people wanted right?
I happen to really like this, It is very well taught, very well explained, and Gerry was the perfect person to handle this chore. His handling is very nice.
Now as to it being a variation of sympathetic cards by Ronnay....let's see, Sympathetic cards was put on the market by Vienna Magic, Supreme Magic Co., Magic Methods, Tannens, Emerson and West, Hampton Ridge, Fun Inc. and probably more. The handling of the Queens Out Of Control, is in my opinion much stronger and nicer than any of the others I had seen in the past.
If we do not want anyone putting out variations or new handlings on tricks, then why do we continue to produce books, lecture notes, and magazines? If you look at just about anything out there in the magic industry today, it has its roots someplace else.
I for one am happy that Gerry took the time and energy to do this and his handling I feel is great. I have played with other versions in the past and never really thought much of them (Maybe I was too confused by the handling instructions and needed a Video or DVD), but after watching Queens Out Of Control, I am going to play with it. I also will change the finish to backs that I can use for corporate presentations or use backs that will fit a specially written patter.
As to the price being too high? well all I can say is, I feel it is just right. I have spent a whole lot more and got a whole lot less for my money. Working pros know that if an item plays well, and is something they will definately use, then price is not a concern. So in conclusion, I like it, I will use it, & I will recommend it to others who want a really good trick at a price I feel very reasonable for what you get.
All the Best
Marty
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Martini said:

"Today I hear from so many people that they cannot follow a book or instructions, and they wish there was a video or DVD that would teach them. I guess it is just a sign of the times, but after all, this is what people wanted right?
"

I agree with this as well. That's what people want, but cannot understand why charge so much. Definetly that's not what people want. An empty DVD costs around 5$, right? We are not talking about a long video here. So why charge 25$ when with written instructions it's $7. Don't tell me that it's because of the time put into it. Everyone puts a lot of time into his effects and no effect falls down from the skies ready to go.

I am not neccessarily referring to this effect, but I feel that many inventors are going with these DVD instructions with the excuse of "that's what people want", when in reality they are abusing to charge more.

This effect, for example, could have been put into a DVD with some other effects for the same price, like many on the market. Why not put it into his other DVDs? And after all this effect is not that difficult to comprehend from written instuctions. It's just a couple of you know what. Why on DVD?

"Working pros know that if an item plays well, and is something they will definately use, then price is not a concern."

I hate it when I hear this type of saying. Do you mean that this effect is only for the pros. We are not all pros here. I for one, I am still a student and haven't started working with magic a lot. I only do a few shows here and there. I am sure many here are in the same situation as mine. So... do I have to wait to become a pro to buy this one.

I think it just shows that some people care more for their customers than others. Take for instance Andrew Mayne. I like this guy because his effects are so cheap to buy and make and play big. Not all his effects are for everyone, but he could have put his new Voodoo Box in a DVD and charged twice as much. He didn't. Why? Is he nuts??? I don't think soo. There are many other inventors like him. He is the one who first came to mind. Paul Harris, Sankey.... and the list goes on.

Again, I like this effect, but I don't think it is that exceptional as the price dictates.

Sorry for the long post.
Yours,

Ivan
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Niva;
I would guess that the price is set on the economics of producing this package. I know as a manufacturer myself, If I was looking at a $5 blank DVD cost, I would have to add paying the person on the DVD, the costs of having it professionally shot, edited, the DVD screened, The cards printed, to get to a final price for production costs. Once that price is calculated, the decision to sell it direct only, or to sell it through dealers comes into play. If it is being offerred through dealers, then the wholesale price has to be such to recover the expenses of putting it out in the first place.
And let's face it, we are in a very limited market with magic. So I can see why it cannot be sold for say $7 or even $10 as the company producing the product would definately loose money on it. Any manufacturer who produces a product needs to really calculate his market, and his costs before he ventures into such a venue, because if it is just out of range for the market he is approaching, he will sit with the product.
It is in his best interest to produce and market his product at the lowest price he can sell it for and then hope to make a profit in order to move into other items.
You are right in regards to this could have been put onto a DVD with other items, but it was put out as a seperate item, that was a decision of the producer.
But on that same topic I have seen Videos that came out with 7 or 8 really good routines for say $35 and still people have complained that it was too much for just a video.
I can honestly feel for you being a student, money will always be a concern until you are in the working world. The costs associated with education are very high, & I congratulate you for hanging in there and working towards your dream, and I wish you the very best with whatever field you choose to enter.
My comment about working pros was not meant that only pros should or could buy this effect. It was made because I firmly believe that many people just look at price, and not the quality of the product or routine. On another post in the Café, a lot of people tore up a trick because it was expensive, yet from their postings I could tell that each of them who had made the comments had not bought, nor seen the full effect. They had apparently seen a brief demo clip and based their feelings on that, when in reality the item was an exceptional piece of magic.
My comments were made concerning my feelings that the value of the trick itself should be considered rather than the cost.
If I had offended you by those comments, I apologize to you, as it was not my intention. I appreciate your comments as well, and that is what makes this Café so unique. We can agree or disagree, but remain friends and are always willing to help each other. That is the way this art should be and should continue.
Wishing you All the Best
Marty
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
AFter watching the trick in question, I was wondering if you had to be careful what venue the trick was performed in. It seems that it might be slightly confusing in a bar setting with inebriated spectators, for example.

I tend to prefer shorter, more concise packet tricks myself. I have to admit that the various colored backs at the end was a nice moment, though. I would just worry that my spectators would get "lost" before that moment.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
Hi Marty.

Don't worry, I wasn't offended or anything.

I understand your point when you said that in the price one has to include, production cost, marketing costs, etc... But I still can't understand how other people manage. Take Pinnacle for instance. I don't have it yet, but will get it some time. It retails for 20$. It has also been put on a DVD. It had to be produced professionally. I am sure Russ also put a lot of work in this. Apart from this you are getting a whole mini routine. And in this case I can understand the logic of a DVD or video, because these moves with a rubberband are not easy to learn from written instructions, and flipping through the pages while holding the bands can sometimes be very frustrating. But putting a DVD for a couple of counts.

As good as it may be, it should have been put into a DVD with some other effects. The AOA series is full of incredible magic effects, some of which have become classics. And one book costs about 40$. We are talking about 77 effects in each book and I am sure a lot of work has gone into them as well (and that is if we don't mentionPaul's humour Smile).

It has been nice talking with you martin. See you around.
Yours,

Ivan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Queens Out of Control (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL