The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Supervillains because why not? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Smile Minions are the main thing, always have Minions
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2014, SacredChao wrote:

It's actually really funny. My friends have made fun of me because of this character, as they do not consider him to be really "supervillain-worthy" and a bit boring. I suspect it is the lack of maniacal laughter and catchphrases... Not how I see him.

Sorry if this sounds rambly, but it has been one Hell of a day.

AHA! Now I know the archetype you seek....

"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Astaroth
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Astaroth
Yes but Funonions taste better Smile

Sacred what type of effects do you want to entertain with and will there be a theme?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2014, Dr Spektor wrote:
Quote:

It's actually really funny. My friends have made fun of me because of this character, as they do not consider him to be really "supervillain-worthy" and a bit boring. I suspect it is the lack of maniacal laughter and catchphrases... Not how I see him.

gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Dr Spektor it is funny that you grabbed Lord of Illusions as I actually got to perform for Clive Barker and his VIP party at the premiere of it at Webster Hall in NYC (MGM wanted a magician for the party and found me)
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysterio

Quote:
Alter ego: Quentin Beck
Team affiliations: Maggia, Sinister Six
Notable aliases: Dr. Ludwig Rinehart
Abilities: Special effects and illusion expert, Master hypnotist and magician, Amateur chemist and roboticist, Exceptional hand to hand combatant, Use of weapons

^ Nuff Said
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
SacredChao
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of SacredChao
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Alright, I lol'd!

Bennigan's family restaurant will fear Professor Chaos! Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Dec 2, 2014, gothicmagic wrote:
Dr Spektor it is funny that you grabbed Lord of Illusions as I actually got to perform for Clive Barker and his VIP party at the premiere of it at Webster Hall in NYC (MGM wanted a magician for the party and found me)

funny or FATE? Smile - seriously, those characters would be great villains based on the theme of this thread

Cool that you got to meet Clive Barker - I love his work.
Malakim
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Malakim
There are great many compendiums in the role playing World which deal with this whole topic.
If you are looking for a minimum of realism go for a Rule System which depicts or can depict) normal humans.
Maybe the Steve Jackson Line GURPS will help you.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Or pick Cthulhu RPG and look at the villains - scholars who lost their minds to the mythos
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Or consider the motivation of Dr. Horrible...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwJ7AnQTiYM
A super-villian will need a nemesis as well, yes-?
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
I think the hard part of portraying the villain super or otherwise, is who is the hero. Without a defined hero to win I think the audience would leave unfulfilled. It's expected the hero wins, even in cases where the villain is liked more than the hero. At the end the story wouldn't feel right if the villain won.

Dr Horrible being one of those exceptions that proves the rule. And it works cause even though Dr Horrible is the Super-Villian they have him saving the cat and Captain Hammer kicking the dog. They spend the first act showing that Horrible is a good guy out to fix the world in his own way and that Hammer is an horse's arse. So that by the last act you know which is really the hero and which is the villain.

So if you are a villain in both word and deed then you need a hero to defeat you. You can't just have your machinations fail through you're own ineptness, that's not satisfactory in a narrative. I believe that once the audience believes that you are the villain, then on some level they expect you to be defeated by some hero.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Better to be an antihero
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
This thread led me to wonder. What if a super hero experimented to find a way to expand upon his powers, hrough the use of experimental
drugs.

The end result creating a compromised 'hero with a darker Mr. Hyde component he was not aware existed.
TickTock
View Profile
New user
Worcester, Massachusetts
18 Posts

Profile of TickTock
So much good stuff has been said so far that I'm hard-pressed to add to it. It sounds like the "Character-Creation Process" is well in hand.

I think my only question at this point is: What is your venue? Through all the above, I'm not sure if you're busking, sitting at a table, standing on stage, etc. Each would have its own challenges and advantages to presenting the character, and the characters' premise. Is your venue the villain's lair (stage/parlor), or has your villain taken his madness out into the larger world (busking/walking)? Is he trying to sell his audience on his premise (like Dr. Frankenstein lecturing in an old-style medical auditorium), or are they his captives that he will bring around to The Truth, one way or another (like the doors have been "locked", and there's no way out of the auditorium)?

These are the questions that kept coming up in my mind over the last two pages. I hope they help.

~ TT
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
How about a subjective villain such as Fear Man, Hypocritical Woman, Procrastinator Boy. Waste time looking at Cat Videos Girl.

We have met the enemy and he is us. (from another type of comic strip- Pogo)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Supervillains because why not? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL