The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Princess Flying Carpet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maratekin
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of maratekin
Can anyone direct me to a source for the plans for U.F. Grant's Princes Flying Carpet? I'd like to build one as a father/son project, but I've had no luck in locating a dealer who has the plans. I checked MAK's website and could not find the plans, either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

Mark
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Try the "Encyclopedia of Suspensions and Levitations" from Hades Publications.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
The Princess Flying Carpet illusion is a modified Super-X Levitation.

I think that plans for that can be found in Grant's Six Modern Levitation booklet or Bodies In Orbit booklet or both.

Best,
Ray
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
The princess carpet, specifically, is not in the Hades or Grant books...I have them all. Super X is. But, if you are a beginner, it might be quite a jump from figuring out the changes needed to turn super X into the carpet.

These two books, do have carpet plans:

The Magic of Jack Gwynne, David Charvet...out of print I think, but I did find it the other day at a British magic dealer site.

Jim Sommer's sprial bound illusion book...about $15. I am not at home so I do not have the exact title. It has his modifications to standard carpet, but it is not hard to tell from the pictures and info how the original is built.

"Magical MacLaury" used to sell these plans, years ago, for $5. Not sure if they are still around. I have a copy.
quack
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Jim Sommers, "Build Your Own Illusions", has 9 drawing of it but no dimensional sizes.
Dennis Michael
maratekin
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of maratekin
Thanks to everyone who posted a report on this. I just received the Sommers' book about a week ago and was concerned about the lack of dimensions (specifically, I'm concerned about the construction of the gimmick and how much weight it will hold). I have the Hades and Grant books mentioned, and I think my first step will be to construct a Super X using 3/4" pipe (like those used in gas lines) to construct the gimmick (the Grant book in particular is very helpful here). Once I get more accustomed to the working of this model, I may attempt to adapt it to more a Flying Carpet-type of design.

Again, thanks for your posts. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Best regards,

Mark
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Mak Magic used to sell the plans for the Flying Carpet. I bought a copy about 15 years ago. You might want to check with them to see if it's still available.

Michael
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I have the Grant booklet of the flying carpet suspension illusion. I plan to build in in the very near future. However, I want to add the rotating feature with the heavy duty lazy susan. My question is, how does this work with the flying carpet overhang and fringe? Does the overhaning carpet/fringe simply go up, over, and then down on hte other side of the gimmick as the carpet as a whole rotates? And, does this tend to give away the gimmick? Or is there some other device to make this work.
Thanks,
Jim in Los Angeles
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Jim,

If you use the long fringe on the seat, like Mak does, the fringe just rides over the gimmick. It actually gives a nice look to the illusion because the fringe moves in waves like there's air under it. I always thought it added a lot to the illusion.

Michael
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you, Michael! Now I've got the all clear to proceed with this. I intend to use fog too so I think that will also add to the floating effect. You mentioned the "long fringe." Is the entire overhang fringe or is it half carpet, half fringe? Finally, have you see the spinning version of the illusion with the gimmick side mounted? Thanks again!
Jim in Los Angeles
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

The long fringe I'm referring to is the 6" long fringe that is attached to the sides of the seat. (Hanging down from the seat. I can't decide if this description is clear!)

I always used the Flying Carpet with the gimmick mounted to the side. It worked great that way. In my opinion, putting the gimmick dead center complete gives away the trick. The audience is staring straight at the gimmick. With it to the side, it's not nearly as noticeable.

Personally, I think the one way to improve it even more is to use a gimmicked hoop with it. I sold my Flying Carpet before I purchased one of Walter Blaney's Great White Hoops so I don't know how well it would have worked with it but I know the response to the Harbin Walk-Away Suspension I used was way stronger after adding the special hoop!

Without explaining the way the hoop works, I'm not completely sure it can be used with a Flying Carpet. (Not to mention that the Great White Hoop costs more than a Flying Carpet!)
schmitty65
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of schmitty65
I like that illusion, but I also can't find any plans for it.
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Tony Hassini's video called "Grand Illusions" (or something like that) has a flying carpet in it. He shows you the gimmick and how it works, etc. From watching that you could figure out how big it needs to be, the gimmick, etc. And it is only $10 so you can't go wrong!
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
If you are going to build one with the rotating feature you will need a heavy duty lazy susan. After much searching I found one at K-mart/Walmart in the boating section. They are used to swivel bass boat seats and only cost 10 bucks
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I got my lazy susan at Home Depot. I used the 12 inch size.
Jim
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
PLEASE, PLEASE mount the gimmick toward the corner!!!

When it's mounted directly toward the back as in the MAK version of the trick.. it's not NEARLY as deceptive
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
The model I owned a gazillion years ago allowed you to mount the gimmick straight on OR at the corner. However Michael, you are 100% correct that it is NOT deceptive mounted out the back. Interesting though I only found this illusion to be deceptive in a close up living room kind of situation. On stage it wasn't deceptive at all and looked exactly like what it was. If you really want to make it deceptive wear black pants and before you remove the screen glue you leg up against the gimmick. Now remove the screen, the only problem here is that you can't move, but the effect over leaving the screen covering the gimmick would be much stronger.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Princess Flying Carpet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL