The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First magic act (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Aha! A Latin scholar! Much sand has passed through the glass since I studied Latin ('55-'58).

I'm on a campaign urging young magicians to have a conversation withi their audiences. Jescilito caught my attention with his challenge.

I like your "turning together"! Words DO have meaning, eh!

I remember reading somewhere that about 13% of American English comes from Anglo-Saxon. (G H O T I is pronounced F I S H !) Jay Marshall performed the "douse" box. He said that his father once told him: "Never say 'die'!" (mice--mouse, therefore dice--douse) LOL

Charlie Miller had a "thing" about prepositions. "I just used a preposition to end that sentence with." or Churchill's "Up with which I shall not put!" Jon Racherbaumer is a wordsmith usque ad...!

Enough! I'm assuming you teach Latin! Our schools over here in the colonies, barely teach English anymore! (Witness, some of the horrible posts that must be "decyphered"! 'Twas brillig and the slithy toves, did gyre and gimble in the wabe.

Egad! It's time for coffee!

Ave atque valel!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jay Store
View Profile
New user
UK
30 Posts

Profile of Jay Store
Well deduced Dick! I teach Latin, Greek, and Ancient History. And I dabble in other dead languages, including Anglo-Saxon. I came across the 'ghoti' spelling as an illustration of the idiosyncrasies of English spelling: I don't know whether it works with American pronunciation (or indeed spelling). 'gh' as in tough, 'o' as in women, 'ti' as in motion, spells 'fish'! I love the douse line, although I confess to having misread it initially with a different pronunciation as the verb 'to soak with water': is that spelt (itself I think the British variant on 'spelled') dowse on your side of the Atlantic? Isn't language amazing!
Regards,
Jay
JoshTmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
265 Posts

Profile of JoshTmagic
Sounds like you had tons of fun
Mortimer Graves
View Profile
Special user
New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
556 Posts

Profile of Mortimer Graves
Etymology is one of my favorite ontologies, as well. Phenomenologically speaking,of course. XD

Plainspeak: Yeah, I'm into the study of languages, too.
'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.

Hastur, Hastur, Hastur! See? Nothing hap-

...and if we rub each other the wrong way, let's try going in another direction. - Pokey the Porcupine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First magic act (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL