The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best size linking rings for a close up show (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
I have two standard sets of linking rings. I have an 8" and a 12". For a close up show in a room that's about the size of a living room, what would be the best size?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'd go with the 8".

If it were Strolling Magic I'd use Ninjas or the like.

The bigger rings seem large for Strolling or Close-Up.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I use 3 8" rings for a thousand high school kids, and they work just fine. (They pack easy, too.) I started using 10" Merv Taylor rings in 1971, and changed to the 8", the following season.

I also use Frank Radtke's 1 3/4" balls, and, NO ONE has ever said that they couldn't see the balls. --(probably because I wear a black shirt and they are white balls.)

Jay Marshall used 9" rings. He made them himself so he could do the over the head nose gag. He made them, and had them chromed later. He made 6 rings. He told me that, later, he realized that he was using only 5 rings,so he red lighted one ring!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
I use Paul Romhany's Linking Hearts. Easy to carry and the hearts open the door for a more entertaining presentation, IMO.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I second the use of Linking Hearts. Don't understand why they aren't more popular.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2014, funsway wrote:
I second the use of Linking Hearts. Don't understand why they aren't more popular.

Nor do I funsway. I had these for a few years and never gave them a go. I realized what I was missing after the first time I used them at an event. People were truly baffled and loved the heart theme!

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Perhaps because they don't offer the same optical illusion that a round ring offers to hide the fact that the space where the g** is, is staying under cover.

-Mary Mowder
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
The g** can be filled in a special way and the entire ring dangled from the finger. Also, the twirl of the heart can be done that shows all sides without detection.

In my experience ( even with magicians) the unique link and unlink advantages outweigh this possible disadvantage.

But, you may be correct that a fear of loosing this move may prevent some from exploring the advantages.

Using the single ring for Ring on Rope effects is very well received even if the Linking part is not used.

I like to start with all four rings linked together dangling from my thumb. Next the bottom one is removed leaving three, then another leaving two dangling.
Next I separate the last lower ring and offer a spectator a choice of which to hold. I then do R&R effects with that before doing my full Linking routine.

You cannot do this with regular rings. and all very close up, which was the original question.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I use the nina size rings for close-up and they are fantastic.
I consider this trick to be one of the greatest things you can do, close-up.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I agree.

Nice to see you back Frank.

-Mary Mowder
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Alas, no love for the McAbee Rings...

"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
They are nice but seem thin and "cheap" next to Ninjas.

The rick rack form of the McAbee Rings is not as simple and clear a vision as solid round rings so the effect is slightly diminished.

Still there is no doubt that Martin Lewis is fun and amazing to watch. He really does make it work.

-Mary Mowder
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
The James Riser McAbee Rings are by no definition *cheap*...

The Making of The McAbee Rings
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I didn't say they were cheap. LOL

-Mary
metaljohn
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, QC
280 Posts

Profile of metaljohn
I decided to go with the 8" rings and so far have done two shows with them. I think I'll be incorperating them in my show regularly now. Not sure if I'll ever use the 12". As cool as they are, they're too big and I feel that I manipulate the 8" rings with greater ease.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dai Vernon used a solid looking set of 5-inch rings close-up.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
submariner
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of submariner
I am a big fan of the MagiKraft Studios McAbee rings - http://www.magikraft.com/. I have the James Riser manufactured version (nickel silver with no plating) that they sell and don't think they look cheap. They simply look like silver women's bracelets and are ideal for extreme closeup. Certainly they do look "ordinary" since they just look like bracelets but I think that can be an advantage. With the Riser version, there is no plating that can wear off and cause the rings to look bad. 50 years from now, they should still look the same. And, due to the mechanical design of the rings and material of construction, it is almost impossible to see the secret. I have a very hard time finding it myself without resorting to touch. Because of their size (2.75 inches in outer diameter), it is possible to switch out the gaff for a regular ring which allows the spectators to examine the rings. Plus, they're easy to carry and fit into a jacket pocket for spur of the moment use. With these, you can do a linking ring routine anywhere and anytime and be as close as possible to the spectator.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I like the Martin Lewis clip above, I am new to close up work, but may look into the close up rings, who sells the best and maybe a DVD with them. Message me please,
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Martin Lewis could make "Forgetful Freddie" seem like an amazing miracle ......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best size linking rings for a close up show (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL