The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Born to Perform Magic DVD by Oz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
magicstudent
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of magicstudent
Born to Perform DVD is the perfect source to start card magic. IMO you only need this DVD to start card magic, and after you master it you may consider to look for more advance materials.

Jeff
I'll Be Back!
-Schwarzenegger-
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2004-02-05 22:58, mattisdx wrote:
My advice which worked for me is to start out with the most advanced stuff first. pick up Lennart Greens's Green Magic volume 1.

Huh?????
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
chias
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of chias
This video teaches the basics pretty well, and OZ is not a bad teacher in any case.
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
170 Posts

Profile of Tyler
I liked Born To Perform. Gave some sound basics and Oz was pretty thorough in his explaination, I've also emailed him a few times and he always responds quickly with even more advice. Doesn't usually happen with a lot of the people who put out dvds.

Mike
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
I don't really like Born to Perform. Unfortunately I purchased it when I first started out in card magic, watched it, tried a few of the moves, and then didn't bother with it much after that. Then a magician at my local magic shop told me Oz teaches bad techniques and recommended the Royal Road dvd set. It was much more expensive but it's been the best purchase I've made in magic so far (and I've spent thousands already).

It starts you out with the very basics and teaches you routines based on what you've just learned. You learn a sleight, then a few tricks based on that sleight, then another sleight, then more tricks based on that sleight, and so on. I've just finished the series and have gone back to review Born to Perform and still do not like it. You never get a point of view camera angle from the magician and I actually did notice that some of the ways he teaches sleights are harder than the way taught in Royal Road. I did learn a few new moves out of it which I am happy with but only after finishing the Royal Road.

I have just started with Michael Ammar's dvds and love them so far but still think Royal Road is the best to start with.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The book Royal Road To Card Magic should be on everyone's shelf. I staretd with that waaaaaaay back. I'm dyslexic, so I needed help, but it's a must have.

As far as Oz, he has serious card chops. And he's a great teacher.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On 2008-06-23 22:32, Review King wrote:
The book Royal Road To Card Magic should be on everyone's shelf. I staretd with that waaaaaaay back. I'm dyslexic, so I needed help, but it's a must have.

As far as Oz, he has serious card chops. And he's a great teacher.

I have ragged on penguinmagic for some time. I absolutely hate their annoying theme song. It goes something like this .... boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom. It is never matched in volume to the rest of the DVD, so when it plays at the end you end up flinging your cards to the ground in fright.

I am not a fan of Oz's patter. (But give him props for not jumping on the wearing man-scara band wagon like all these other new guys)I am not normally entertained by his routines.

Now when it comes to this DVD. BUY IT! I have never seen a better coupling of sleights. The only other sleight I use that is not taught on this DVD is the top change. (And maybe some false shuffles .. can't remember everything that is on the DVD) With this collection you can duplicate pretty much anything out there, maybe not using the same method, but you will have the tools to get to the end effect. You get 4 solid routines, not tricks .. routines. For those complaining about the number of effects, how many tricks do you really need in your repertoire? Instead of walking around with 100 effects I would prefer to have a solid 10 or 15 that I can pull off anytime, perfectly. The first ambitious card routine many people saw was David Blaine's. This video teaches one far better than his. I still use it and have a blast with it.

Do yourself a favor .. get this DVD. Learn it. You will get the tools you need and have some solid routines to boot. Then move on to these harder DVDs.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Born to Perform Magic DVD by Oz (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL