The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Loops.. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kaubell
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of kaubell
Hi,

I got interested in Loops and I bought pack of mesikas loops to experiment with.
Now I know everyone who starts something new is always bad, but I'm not sure can I get pass these problems.

For example moving fork, the fork had a tiny tiny piece, 0,5mm piece of dry food on it, almost invisible piece. I played around, but
when it got time to take the loop off, it just got stuck to the piece. Because I was practicing, I was able to get the loop out of the
fork with very close attention, but if I would have performed, I would have just broke the loop because it was hard to get off easily.
Same seems to happen with hard fibers and stuff, the loops seems to be too fragile and gets stuck, etc.

I stretched littlebit all the loops before using, but I still feel these things are too fragile.
And now, after having the pack for 2 days, I only have 1 loop left. I only broke 1 loop because of clearly too high tension

I maybe have to buy pack of IET to make my practicing cheaper. What IET you guys would recommend as the best? (stronger, but still as much invisible as mesikas?)

I would love to start to do effects with loops, but I feel theres chances to mess up. Practicing is fine, but in performance I would like to be very sure. Any tips?
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Hi kaubell,

Just a friendly reminder that this post is bordering on exposure, which is not allowed in the public forum. Once you achieve enough posts to access the secret forums, you can be more open, as they are closed to the public. You're new, so just trying to save your skin Smile
As far as suggestions are considered, Mesika is a good way to go. You can also try Steve Fearson's product line, as he is regarded as the master if IT work. If it's loops you want, Mesika is the only way to go. In the end, it's all about repetition. Keep working with it til you get the feel for it. Even the pros break them. Hope this helps.
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Good post, Mike!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
kaubell
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of kaubell
Oh, sorry for the partial expose, I try to keep better. And thank you for the tips!

I made little investigation and searched the topics for the best IET to tie my own.
I saw many saying the "Legacy Thread 2.0" is the most durable and best IET currently. Any thoughts?

I can get Mesika elastics and Infinity v2 from my local shop, but I would need to order Legacy Thread from other country,
Does anybody know is it really better and worth the extra shipping costs?

Thank you!
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
If you are going to work with IET or l00p$ (notice how I wrote that BTW, a common practice here at the café so that these posts don't show up in a google or other search) you are going to have breaks. That's just one of the disadvantages of the method. You can by IET on a spool and make your own. There are a couple of methods you can find on Youtube which explain how to do it. Good luck.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Not a problem kaubell! We were all the new guy/girl once...I'm still pretty fresh here myself! Just wanted to give you the heads up, but you will find that the folks here are most accomodating and informative Smile Best of luck to you my friend, and let us know how you are coming along! Smile
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
443magicman
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of 443magicman
Dude, I know exactly how you feel. When I first started using loops, they broke like crazy even when I was super careful. What I think you should do is just spend $20-$30 and buy a couple packs of them and just keep practicing. Eventually, you will know when they break and how far you can stretch them. On the other hand, Mesika sells just the thread and wax. This would be cheaper than buying the pre-made loops but would require you to make them. If you want to learn how to make them, 52kards made a tutorial for it. Here it is if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkpu26hGusk
lejulio
View Profile
New user
Worlwide
56 Posts

Profile of lejulio
Exactlly, the best way is to make your own L00p$ and I can advice you to buy the excellent DVD legacy Emergency Kit. I do a band less than 1min30s.
dannywu
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of dannywu
Start making your own l0ops, and after that try getting into IT setups, you'll find that you can do a lot more with IT than lo0ps
kaubell
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of kaubell
Thank you very much guys for the help!

Ive been playing around with loops a lot now and got better. No breaking at all unless moving heavy objects.

I bought pack of mesika elastics and have tied practice loops using the 52k cards tie method.
Maybe its just me, but this IET seems to be more fragile than the original loops, they still say its the same?

I tied 5 loops and broke them all at same night, just simply stretching near the point and it breaks.
Once broken it leaves the strand straight like theres no elasticity left and looks like normal IT floating. With bought loops, all my loops scrumbles up to small ball once broken (because of elasticity)

I don't know did I get old batch of IET or something, but I feel the original loops are more quality?

Any suggestions? Smile
MScapes
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, Canada
56 Posts

Profile of MScapes
Make sure to "exercise" the loop. Warm it up for several minutes by stretching gradually and don't go right to the breaking point first. They will work better and last longer. You may be making yours either too tight or too loose as well
msukairi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of msukairi
Better to learn how to make it, before you learn to use it.

it will save you too much money.
kaubell
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of kaubell
Thank you for the replys,

Does any have good tips how to make constant sized loops? Mine has some variations using the youtube 52k cards tie method
MScapes
View Profile
New user
New Brunswick, Canada
56 Posts

Profile of MScapes
Pay attention to the feel of the tension as you make them and you will get more consistent over time.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1405 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Go here:

http://www.subdividedstudios.com/

and get the emergency kit, it's the best deal and his threads are the best.
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
Mesika's seem to be great
Calin
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Calin
I'm also new and found out I can perform haunted deck and some levitations in poor lighting using thin strings pulled out from socks.. I find it easy to reset in 3-4 mins everytime I break one, I just go to the bathroom and remake it. They're not invisible in normal lightning, let's say they're invisible at 30cm in a cloudy day. I've got tons of tying practice by using those.
Pull out a string from any fluffy-ish cotton sock and see if the inner strings are fluffy, if they're clumped together you won't be able to extract one fine string.then just at one end extract one of the strands hold the main wire by the other end and as you pull out place the fine string in your mouth so you won't lose it, tying gets intuitive after that.
Jason Hutton
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
36 Posts

Profile of Jason Hutton
I use legacy and the million dollar knot and the roll will last me a very long time.
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
Bought them. Wish there were more loops for the same price though
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Loops.. (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL