The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Derren Brown Lecture (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, Tony Dixon wrote:
...and most importantly were not live at all

This is a point I don't understand.

Why is the "live" aspect of any importance at all?

Do viewers somehow think they're going to have a meaningful public interaction with the performer?

Or is it something else?

I truly don't understand the importance of it being "live".
Tony Dixon
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Tony Dixon
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, Tony Dixon wrote:
...and most importantly were not live at all

This is a point I don't understand.

Why is the "live" aspect of any importance at all?

Do viewers somehow think they're going to have a meaningful public interaction with the performer?

Or is it something else?

The live aspect of it is important when it is being sold as part of the penguin LIVE series. I'm not saying that the lecture is any worse for it not being live (although live questions are handy when people don't fully understand something that is being discussed), I'm saying that it shouldn't have been sold as "Derren Brown LIVE(Penguin LIVE)". (The capitals are how penguin sell it, not me emphasising my point).
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
It's an unedited record of the event, performed in front of an audience, like a "live" concert recording.

It's not pieced together in an editing booth, with multiple takes.

That's what "LIVE" indicates to me here. The time of broadcast seems irrelevant, especially since I download the lectures later.

After all, Penguin lectures originally made in 2012 are still branded as "Penguin LIVE" and nobody seems to have a problem with that.
Tony Dixon
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Tony Dixon
Those are good points you are making, however I still feel like it being put in the LIVE series is a little off.
I'm probably happy that they were put in it as it means that with a subscription I'm not paying a large amount for an interview (I can't imagine any actor/singer/dancer having an interview that cost $30 for a digital download. Though before a few weeks ago I couldn't think of anyone charging for an interview, however an interview is usually promotion of something so it becomes a bit more complicated when its for a very niche audience and the person isn't trying to get people to pay to see them in something else).
3ofclubs
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of 3ofclubs
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, Tim Cavendish wrote:

You can interact by asking questions on twitter and getting responses etc.
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
641 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2015, CarlMcCoy wrote:
Whilst I'm on the side of those that thought the lecture / interview was brilliant and worth the money (and don't get all the constant negative posts from people that seem to think they should get their money back), I gotta' say that you're not helping anything 3ofclubs. You're just coming across more and more aggressive with each post.

Why don't we all sit back and relax, look up into the sky and watch the birds fly with the clouds, listen for the contented sigh of a sleeping child, wipe golden wisps of hair from the silken cheek of a beautiful maiden...

Or just go get hammered and consign this argument to the gutter?

I'm pretty much up for the last one...to the bar!

Excellent use of future pacing!
You should be in the advertising business for sure!

:-)
CarlMcCoy
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of CarlMcCoy
As a matter of fact...I am.

That's why I spend a lot of time drinking.
Tony Dixon
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Tony Dixon
I forgot about this when I was writing the review. The audio was really quiet, I usually don't have any issues but I needed to use full volume and a set of headphones to be able to clearly hear what was being said.
TheDirectionalist
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I will have this many posts when you read this:
931 Posts

Profile of TheDirectionalist
I really enjoyed this lecture/interview. If you were expecting Derren to just reveal a bunch of tricks, then you were out of your mind!

I'm so happy he didn't actually.. That wouldn't have been as enjoyable to me. I loved hearing his theories and suggestions. Especially on becoming a theater performer.

Well worth the money. This was for the serious mentalist, who understands that methods are basically nothing. It's all in the presentation.
Creator of the UBT: Underground Bottom Tear

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Derren Brown Lecture (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL