The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » What's Your Opening Phrase to Break the Ice (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

Profile of chasesummers20
I like to perform for random people at the college. I have relized you can walk up to anyone and as long as you say something, anything, you have their attention. If you can get them to laugh in the first few seconds, you got em. I usually only use a handful of openers. Here is one of them, works every time 50% of the time.

Me;Are you ready to have the best 2 minutes of your life.
Spectator; excuse me?
Me; watch!
They laugh as they watch you do your thing.

Post some of your funny openers!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I don't approach strangers when I'm not working. When doing a strollin gig at a restaurant or cocktail party it's "Good evening, how's everyone doing tonight? Welcome to the _________. My name is Pepka and I'm your entertainment this evening." I have always felt that a proper introduction of yourself is really the best way to go. NOT walking up to someone who doesn't know you and lighting flash paper, or asking if they dropped their black knife. I'm strictly an adult performer. Occasionally, I WILL be somewhere with 1 or 2 kids at a table, and they usually waiting for me. In this instance, I have a bit of fun since I'm a pretty big guy, I will walk up and as I point to the kid, I'll ask "Is this the one that was causing the problems over here? C'mon...let's go buddy, you're outta here."
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I like that approach Pepka, I am rather large too and I can see that being really funny, thanks.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
I don't believe "magic" is possible without the observer expecting it to happen and participation in the creation of the story.

Without these you might get surprise, shock, mystery, confusion or anger -- but no magic.

Yes, you might be able to follow-up with some magic if they don't dump coffee over your head.

As always, what is your objective? You might assume some degree of permission in a restaurant, but a not sure of a college setting.

Not even sure what, "you got em" refers to. How is that a noble objective? How is interrupting their education, "the best 2 minutes of your life?"

I guess I am just too old. How can starting off with a false claim ever lead to a trusting relationship?

I won't even touch, "works every time 50% of the time." This is a college campus right? Is English spoken there?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, funsway wrote:
Not even sure what, "you got em" refers to. How is that a noble objective? How is interrupting their education, "the best 2 minutes of your life?"

I would hope he's not approaching people during classes.

Quote:
I guess I am just too old. How can starting off with a false claim ever lead to a trusting relationship?

You mean like: I have here an "ordinary" deck of cards.... ?

Quote:
I won't even touch, "works every time 50% of the time." This is a college campus right? Is English spoken there?

That was rather snarky. Especially after saying you wouldn't even touch it you plowed right on in and made a dig at his English skills. Have you ever made a typo? Messed up a sentence in the process of editing/reordering a post? I know I have.

In all seriousness, are you ok? That kind of response doesn't seem like you at all.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:

In all seriousness, are you ok? That kind of response doesn't seem like you at all.

Thanks for that. I am involved in evicting and arresting two different renters. Anything not honest and straight forward gets to me, I guess.

Probably shouldn't be posting at all. Apologies to everyone.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Richie Larson
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
92 Posts

Profile of Richie Larson
Works every time, 50% of the time.. I think that part was meant to be a joke. Got a smile out of me regardless. I like this kind of humor.

-Richie Larson
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Funsway has a point...

important to be a human with people. direct and honest instead of trying an old tired one liner.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I'm a magician and I would like to entertain you for a few minutes. I'm not the first person in my family to be in show business, my Father was an Elvis impersonator. There wasn't much call for it in the '30's though.
"But there isn't a door"
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Chasesummers20 (God! I hate these darn user names), your opening remark is totally egocentric and a complete turnoff to my mind.

I'm not saying my way is the best way and the only way, but I only perform when people are expecting me to perform, which is why I don't do restaurant magic or walk-around magic. I agree with funsway there.

And inigmntoya (!), have you never posted an unwarranted sarcastic remark you later regretted?
chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, Richie Larson wrote:
Works every time, 50% of the time.. I think that part was meant to be a joke. Got a smile out of me regardless. I like this kind of humor.

-Richie Larson

Thank you sir for understanding my humor. I was joking. Of coarse I don't walk up to strangers and harass them. This was supposed to be a topic where people post funny fictional openers that might offend people.
chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

Quote:
I don't believe "magic" is possible without the observer expecting it to happen and participation in the creation of the story.

Without these you might get surprise, shock, mystery, confusion or anger -- but no magic.

Yes, you might be able to follow-up with some magic if they don't dump coffee over your head.

As always, what is your objective? You might assume some degree of permission in a restaurant, but a not sure of a college setting.

Some people understand humor, some people don't. Its ok buddy. I really did not want this thread to be a negative one but all is well. I hope you have a better day sir. I wont hold this against you, we all have bad days.
chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
Chasesummers20 (God! I hate these darn user names), your opening remark is totally egocentric and a complete turnoff to my mind.

I'm not saying my way is the best way and the only way, but I only perform when people are expecting me to perform, which is why I don't do restaurant magic or walk-around magic. I agree with funsway there.

And inigmntoya (!), have you never posted an unwarranted sarcastic remark you later regretted?

What do you mean you hate my user name. That is my son's name and I keep the same one on all usernames so I don't get mixed up with all the different sites. Chasesummers 1 through 19 were taken. Wow.
chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

I said in the original post. FUNNY OPENERS.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, chasesummers20 wrote:
Quote:
Chasesummers20 (God! I hate these darn user names), ...

What do you mean you hate my user name. That is my son's name and I keep the same one on all usernames so I don't get mixed up with all the different sites. Chasesummers 1 through 19 were taken. Wow.

"These darn usernames" means the fact that instead of us using our real names we are using usernames kind of like CB handles... nothing personal here from Ray, I just think he perfers real names over usernames. My user name is misterbill from back in the days when everyone had a internet username and used it on IRC to chat. but I have my real name under it so people will know who I am. Because one person doesn't like using internet handles or usernames though doesn't men you have to supply him with your real name if you choose not to, he was just grousing about it but it didn't sound personal.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:

Like calling out Funsway too harshly when a private PM would have been better? Yeah.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Opening line to break the ice, eh? Well, the usual one goes something like,

"Oh, erm, good evening Officer. Really, this isn't what it looks like, I assure you. Would you be interested in seeing a card trick at all?"
chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, tomsk192 wrote:
Opening line to break the ice, eh? Well, the usual one goes something like,

"Oh, erm, good evening Officer. Really, this isn't what it looks like, I assure you. Would you be interested in seeing a card trick at all?"

That's what I'm talking about.
chasesummers20
View Profile
New user
Kansas City
57 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:

Thanks for that. I am involved in evicting and arresting two different renters. Anything not honest and straight forward gets to me, I guess.

Probably shouldn't be posting at all. Apologies to everyone.

Its in my nature to forgive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » What's Your Opening Phrase to Break the Ice (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL