The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed of nails (regular vs macho spacing) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pcm81
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of pcm81
Hello all. I am not a performer; I am just interested in beds of nails, so I am posting here since people actully use them.

I build my 1st bd of nails using 3/8 x 8" spikes with a spacing of 1". That was easy to lay on (i am only 130 lbs). So, I rebuilt it with spacing of 1.5" and it feel comfortable to lay on. The current board is 24"x12" so it basically just covers my back. I can raise my legs up and put my whole weight on my back.

My question is about general consnsus of what is normal vs macho spacing for the nails, and how sharp are the "martial arts" vs a "show room / sideshow performer" nails.
After using my 1.5" spacing board for half a day I am seriously considering making a 2" spacing board.
But then I am also thinking of getting smaller but sharper nails with more of them.

I realize that it all boils down to my pain tolerance more so than anything else. What I am curios about is what path most people choose to take if the goal is to develop your body, not to just shock and awe audience. The two paths I see are: fewer blunt yet bigger nails vs many smaller and sharper nails.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It all boils down to personal preference.

In designing a bed, there are always issues of what one thinks the audience will perceive...size and spacing of nails, colors, etc.

When doing more serious stunts, other factors can come into play. You mentioned, for example, that your bed is 12" wide. (Most folks have much wider.) If you're having people stand on you, it greatly lowers the probability that one of them will step on a nail, when getting off. So the 12" width, turns out to be a good thing.

Most performers have one or two people stand on top. I used to have 5 or more. It required some sleight differences in bed design.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Gemeanii
View Profile
Regular user
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now....
161 Posts

Profile of Gemeanii
And then there is the bed of NAIL...

But that is a story for someone else to tell.

Be well,

Steve
Steve Gemeny
The Great Gemeanii
[email]steve@gemeny.com[/email]
www.gemeanii.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That's a totally different language.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There is an irony to performing the bed of nails. The more nails and the closer they are, the more dangerous it seems to the general public. The fewer nails and the wider the spacing, the less impressive it seems. Of course the opposite is true, but it is hard to convey that to an audience. The exception is the four, two and one beds that Harley does, but even these require a bit of explanation to have the audience appreciate what is being done.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
This is true. I could just bring out a minimal-nail bed and do it, but people would not care. They require a layman's physics explanation, and of course, imagination. Story is always important. Always.

And I hate 2" spacing.

www.bladewalker.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
What's the spacing of your bead of nail Harley?
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
I built a steel framed one at 4 inches, and since that one went missing, I made a replacement with just 2 inch spacing. (not too bad and it helps when my back hurts.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bed of nails (regular vs macho spacing) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL