The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » History of B'wave (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cristian Vidrascu
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Cristian Vidrascu
Does anyone know when B'wave first came out? And in which publication?
Any other knowledge about the inspiration behind it etc?
Thanks!
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I would have to assume that Max Maven / Phil Goldstein knows for sure, but here's a quick index of related effects:

http://www.conjuringarchive.com/show.php?cat=723
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
The copywrite date on my original B' Wave instructions is 1991.

Mike
ralphgironda
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, mtoth2008 wrote:
The copywrite date on my original B' Wave instructions is 1991.

Mike

I believe the concept of four card brainwave is older than 1991.

Karl Fulves, who did not create the effect, put out a booklet on the plot in 1978.

Emailing Mr. Maven will provide you with an answer.
AaronSterling
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of AaronSterling
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, ralphgironda wrote:
I believe the concept of four card brainwave is older than 1991.

Any Queen Called For is the earliest version of the plot I know, though I've seen different dates, from 1928 to 1940something, and I don't know what is correct.
mtoth2008
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of mtoth2008
Gentlemen, I agree Phil Goldstein would be the ultimate source but let us not confuse the origination date of B'Wave with the dates of origin of "similar plots that preceded it".

Specifically my "early" B'Wave states:

Copyright 1991 by Philip T. Goldstein
Special card by Magic Land, Tokyo, Japan
Distributed in the U.S.A. by Hermetic Press

(the Hermetic Press was incorporated in 1990 by Stephen Minch)

Mike
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The four card brainwave plot is older than B'Wave, but Max's approach was considered an IMPROVEMENT. In earlier versions you might show one of four cards reversed or one of four cards reversed with a different colored back, but in B'Wave you do the latter THEN with no sleights cleanly show the faces of the other three cards to be blank, something which couldn't be done with earlier versions.

The success of B'Wave in 1991 then revitalized the plot causing others to work on it and release their versions.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1080 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1080 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
An additional info

The principle of adhering-separating card pairs was invented sometime around the
mid-1800s, probably by Hofzinser.
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Ursmagicbalu, this discussion is about Phil Goldstein's B'wave, not the Brainwave Deck.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Would B'Wave and the Twisted Sisters be the same? Except that one uses one pile and the other two piles?
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2015, Zlwin Chew wrote:
Would B'Wave and the Twisted Sisters be the same? Except that one uses one pile and the other two piles?

No.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
MagieFraudster
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MagieFraudster
Quote:

Emailing Mr. Maven will provide you with an answer.

If he decides that responding to a stranger is worth his time, which would surprise me.
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
It won't surprise me at all that "Mr. Maven" would respond to a request from a stranger. I've emailed him at least twice, and always received an answer --- although, come to think of it, he might not appreciate me broadcasting that:).

Murf
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On May 2nd 2005, Max Maven wrote:

I'm often asked how I go about inventing tricks, and the true answer is that it's never quite the same from one time to another. In the case of "B'wave," the basic plot was already in existence (I provided a brief history in the instructions). I liked the plot, but thought perhaps a stronger composition could be devised (in relation to those versions I had previously encountered).

I explored various routes, and found the solution I liked. If I recall correctly, this was a relatively quick process -- probably a day or two. (Some creations come together almost instantaneously, while others can take years.)

The trick was initially given to my friend Ton Onosaka to manufacture and market. I gave him worldwide rights, other than the U.S., where I sold it at lectures. After two or three years, Ton had sold about as many as he was going to, so (with Ton's approval) I invited Stephen Minch to take over the marketing. At first, he didn't want to. ("I publish books...") But, I convinced him that it might make financial sense. Happily, it did. I'm not sure of the total number that have been sold, but at this point I believe it's around 10,000. There are tricks that have sold far more than that, but it's the largest circulation of anything of mine that has been marketed.

See here...

See also inigmntoya's post.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » History of B'wave (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL