The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Real Mind Reading goes to court! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, Bill Cushman wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, Dr Spektor wrote:
Being in the sim field and watching tech developed that uses facial recognition to detect demographic / context affects and working in institutions for advanced brain health techniques to connect with people suffering from neurological conditions - and sending the trend of social media identification etc - it's not very pseudofied at all. Tech is running away faster then our response to thinking of ethical and public health and human right concepts - and if you think this is all pure speculation - well, perhaps you are becoming borgs without knowing it

I love tech but I worry about the reptilian brains and psychopathy of the human condition

I certainly share your concerns (PKD is one of my heroes), good doctor, but with all due respect that doesn't diminish the need for awareness and caution about pseudo-science in the field of neuroscience. If anything, I'd suggest it makes it all the more important so time and money aren't diverted away from the real works potential (whilst keeping an eye out for PKDickish abuses of course).

Of course - the caution I am raising is the people who think some of what we are talking about it pseudoscience when in fact it actually is reality (PKD! also Ray Bradbury!)....

Pseudoscience etc. is omnipresent for ads for weight loss, health, longevity etc. - the scary parts or distinguishing reality from unreality is much more difficult now - that people are too jaded to wake up and try to do things to better society....

Here is a great example - spending money to prove texting while driving can be hazardous to your skill to operate a vehicle - tons of money go into research - but then, the reality is the legal side - the day some bozo goes to court after running over 3 grannies while face booking there will be some need for the research, despite the fact evidence informed research and common sense should prevail

But when does common sense really prevail????
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, Andini wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, Dr Spektor wrote:
Being in the sim field and watching tech developed that uses facial recognition to detect demographic / context affects and working in institutions for advanced brain health techniques to connect with people suffering from neurological conditions - and sending the trend of social media identification etc - it's not very pseudofied at all. Tech is running away faster then our response to thinking of ethical and public health and human right concepts - and if you think this is all pure speculation - well, perhaps you are becoming borgs without knowing it

That's a good point. I didn't mean to suggest that neuroscience and its associated advances is pseudoscience, just that there's often difficulty in communicating it to the public in a way that (a) makes it sound super mind-blowingly amazing and (b) maintains a realistic perspective on what we can actually conclude from the data. It's just good to keep in mind some of the limitations. A couple years ago I saw Matt Lieberman, a prominent social neuroscientist at UCLA, give a talk at a social psychology conference, and he joked that businesses would pay lots of money for him to scan participants to see which areas of the brain "light up" when they looked at particular products--as if that actually offers any usable information that couldn't be attained with far less expensive means.

What is interesting of course, with most tech advances - is what might have been more expensive in the past becomes more affordable in the future.... thanks to gaming tech advances etc. getting a human to do things may be more expensive than anything at some point....!

Get out the Latinum!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, jstreiff wrote:
Unfortunately Kaku made a mistake at the conclusion when he erroneously labeled neuroscan technology as 'telepathy'. What is being discussed is technology having nothing to do with mind reading.

Kaku is now in the business of selling books and probably making more than he ever did as a physicist Smile

I don 't thin khe made mistake -- it was deliberate. He knows that the general public has no firm definition of what "telepathy" means other than thought transmission over distance.

I demonstrated tin-can telephones for kids and one parent said that they had always believed in telepathy.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Jay Store
View Profile
New user
UK
30 Posts

Profile of Jay Store
I missed the boat on this by a few days, but am tickled by the thought of explosive collars around politicians necks.
It would make them try a bit harder - if the hurdle was 50% approval not a single politician in the UK would survive. Ever.
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2015, Casper TFG wrote:
The following is a rather somber thought, - what if technology advanced to the point where personal, handheld scanners were readily available? People in the audience could simply point the gadget at a mentalist to determine if he/she were being truthful? Smile

I'd be setting their alarms off so often the devices would overheat. Of course I would predict that at the beginning of the show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Real Mind Reading goes to court! (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL