The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't try this at home . . . or pretty much anywhere else (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Unbelievable!!!!!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
Unbelievable!!!!!!

Despite none of it being done from horseback.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Neat video. FWIW:

The periodically popular "Lars Anderson: Master Archer" video is on the front page again and makes a lot of claims about the historical practice of archery. How much of what he claims is valid?

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/co......_master/

What truth is there to the claims on historical archery made in this video? why did archery die out as a military specialty?

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/co......torical/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Very impressive. Wow.
Edit: I enjoyed reading those comments, too, balducci. Thanks.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I bow to his bow. My own archery skills while not bad, can't even begin to touch this.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Hawkeye! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I worked with the legendary Hans Moretti many decades ago as his assistant. Greatest cross bow act I've ever seen. Here it is as performed by his son Peter: (The multiple bow head shot done at the end is completely amazing.)

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
I worked with the legendary Hans Moretti many decades ago as his assistant. Greatest cross bow act I've ever seen. Here it is as performed by his son Peter: (The multiple bow head shot done at the end is completely amazing.)

That's cheating death every show that is... Wow! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Bob, would it be bad form to ask if all the bow stuff is legit?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Looked amazing to me .. made sense ..
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

Lucky you - did you fit into Helga's costume or have to make your own?

I remember the first time I saw the video of his sword box years ago thinking it was the most brilliant stage illusion I'd ever seen - not just that the magic was amazing but their phenomenal showmanship. A great couple of the stage.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I prefer the great Hans Moretti. I first saw him on Paul Daniels' wonderful show.
But hey, this guy is good too, but a little strange.
Thanks for sharing.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 24, 2015, landmark wrote:
Bob, would it be bad form to ask if all the bow stuff is legit?

Totally legit. I've witnessed enough mistakes to know. Peter, shown above, was actually hospitalized for a serious injury after an accident while doing the act with his brother in the Bahamas. (At that time, three people were doing the act, Hans, Sr., Hans, Jr. (Pantar), and Peter.)

The reason that I assisted Hans for a few months was because his wife Helga had been injured in a version of the act using rifles and returned to Germany to recover. (She'd been shot in the shoulder, as I recall.)
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 24, 2015, magicfish wrote:
I prefer the great Hans Moretti. I first saw him on Paul Daniels' wonderful show.
But hey, this guy is good too, but a little strange.
Thanks for sharing.

Yes. And it was Hans who I worked with. But the only version of the complete act I could find on YouTube was the one I posted, done by his son Peter. The act is virtually identical, though. After all, it was invented by Hans, who later taught it to his sons. Even the music is the same. Hans loved the Peter Gunn theme and also used it in his cardboard sword box illusion. (That's the routine I assisted him with. You couldn't get me anywhere near the crossbows.)

I remember on show on the SS Rotterdam when Hans was doing the multiple cross bow finale. The band sat on the stage behind him.

The ship took a roll just before he fired his bow. All of the crossbows moved and arrows seemed to be flying all over the place. It was a riot watching all the musicians diving for cover. Luckily, no one got hit.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
There will only ever be one Hans, but good for Peter for mastering this legendary act. I'm sure his father is proud. Thank you Bob.
What an experience it must have been to work with Hans.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It was great. He was one of the hardest working guys I ever met and was a complete perfectionist as well as a strict disciplinarian when it came to his sons and his assistants.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I suppose he had to be with the danger factor so high?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes- but it went beyond that. Even when it came to straight magic and mentalism, he approached with the same rigor. Mistakes were simply not acceptable (except the intentional ones used to build drama), and when one occurred it would be analyzed in depth in order to prevent it from happening again.

That's the main thing I learned from him and why I'm constantly refining my mentalism presentations to make them as fool proof as humanly possible.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Wonderful. Thanks.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Don't try this at home . . . or pretty much anywhere else (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL