The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Thinking About Doing A Talent Show! Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vootrage
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of vootrage
Hello, I was thinking about doing a stage effect for my highschool talent show. I want an effect that will leave them stunned enough to give me a top score. I was thinking about doing Peter Loughran's "Ultimate Cane". If you guy have any suggestions for other effects in this type of venue Id be very grateful. Id like to cut any of the "box" illusions though, thanks.
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
First of all how much time do you have for the segment?
Second is what is your budget? Im sure that its not much but that may not matter!
Third: It doesn't matter soo much that your trying to wow and absolutely stunn them as to just going out there and have fun. Many times that if your comfortable in your routine, even though its a "common effect" many times your own twists or perks to the presentation will bring it the life it needs.

May your dreams be touched by magic!!!

Robert
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
If I am not mistaken, that is the flaming dancing cane right? Personally, I don't think the dancing cane should be presented as an effect on its own. Get some other stuff in there. Use music to enhance what you are doing. From my own experiences with talent shows, it is a majority of music acts, dancing, etc. Already you are at an advantage to wow them because you are doing something different. I have had a lot of success doing manipulation for that type audience. If that’s not your thing, try something dramatic. Use music. That type of audience doesn't get to see that type of thing often so they will be really appreciative. I am not saying don't do the cane; just don't make that the entire routine. Anything longer than 20 seconds and you will start to have problems with people catching on.
Zaubern Smile
Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
If this is at a school you probably can't use fire!!
most schools don't let you.

hope this helps
GI
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Vootage,

Do a comedy version of Sword thru Neck. I will make you win. But maybe you can bring a sword to school.

Bill
Aroy
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Aroy
How about a transposition type effect with screens?

It will be low budget and will look big and flashy depending on your presentation.

You will also need to check out the staging available though.

ROY
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
It takes work, but Ron Jackson´s sheet morph thing might be good. It is very magical and uses no boxes.

I agree with zaubern about the cane. It IS a good effect but would work better as a part of a longer routine. Just like in Lance Burton´s dove act where the appearing candles are a part of the routine and not a stand-alone effect.

If you can get a backstage assistant, you might want to try a prediction effect in which you´re able to predict random things selected by random people.

Or maybe passe-passe bottles? Hocus Pocus has a great deal right now.

Even the most simple things work great as it is the presentation that counts. Best of luck!
Sent from my Typewriter
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
Hi, Vootrage.

With respect to many of the people posting, all of your ideas are great and magical. However, I would like to suggest that you may be looking at things backwards. Instead of looking at what might be magical and amazing, look at what high school students are doing and what might appeal to them.

I think Bill's idea of a comedy version of the sword through neck would be a blast...especially if your victim was a principal or school administrator. Chances are you will only have time for one effect, and doing something that gets people screaming with laughter and looks like your doing in your principal sounds like a winner.

Think of the popularity of the TV Show Jackass. That's the way to win.
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
In some schools, they will not allow swords or knives in them no matter how fake they are. Also if you want a audience member to assist you, you may want to have someone else that is not as high up as the principal or administrator. It looks as if you would dissrespect the person in charge. Sometimes if you get a person that is not as high up but has a good sense of humor you could go farther with that than the alternative. Just some thoughts!!

Robert
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
When I did my high school talent show, I had a time limit of 5 minutes. I don't know if you have a time limit, but comedy effects that play off reaction tend to run longer due to jokes. But if you don't have a time limit, go for it. I had great success doing an act to music. The second the music started and I opened with a flashy production, people got the idea it was something different. With whatever you do, you are at an advantage because you are doing something unique and different...magic.
Zaubern Smile
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
MVMagic -

You mentioned Ron Jackson's "sheet morph" - what is this - can you elaborate? Couldn't find it on the web.

--Jack Smile
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
It is a metamorphosis type of thing with no boxes. Contact Ron through his website http://www.jaxonmagic.com/ for more info.
Sent from my Typewriter
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I just won grand prize at my high school talent show thursday night. I had about 7 min. Max. I did an appearing bowling ball to get their attention (set to the song "green onions") Then I did the tabary rope routine. It left a stunned silence. I had the curtains open to reveal my sub trunk and me and my lovely assistant Brooke did the sub trunk to the song "Bring me to Life" by evanescence. I was worried because there was a really good live band and some stunt jumpropers. They did really well. I just relaxed and had fun with it. We were nervous when it was time to announce 1st place and it wasn't us but were so shcoked whentheyannounced us as grand prize.
Kevin Kelley
View Profile
New user
New York City
7 Posts

Profile of Kevin Kelley
I'd say the guys mentioning comedy routines are right. A lot of magicians are very focused on the idea that they're magicians....they forget the bigger picture that they are entertainers. With that in mind, as said previously, find a trick you have done before and are comfortable with, and take it to the next level. Pull up that teacher everyone in the school knows, or plan it out with the principal ahead of time (this will help eliminate the "disrespect" thing. take a look at some people that currentlydo what I'm talking about. Jeff hobson does an amazing job entertaining an audience with just an egg bag. Peter Gossamer does a routine called telapathetic, a four or five minute mentalism routine where he NEVER really does any mind reading..it's just fast joke after fast joke. (you'd probably want to do a real trick as opposed to something like this since you are trying to show that you're a magician...) I get four minutes out of a mouth coil. Give it some thought, and you'll do fine.
Bets of luck...
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
Good luck with the talent show.

When I was 13, I competed in the Iowa State Fair talent show. Youngest competitor in the senior division (13-21), the only magician. Outdoors. Wearing a suit. 90 degree weather. Multiplying golf balls. flash paper. The stage is set.

This day's competition is the Semi-Finals. That means we're the top 20 out of over 1000 contestants statewide.

Actually I was quite proud, didn't drop a single ball during any manipulation, despite the sweat. I bounced a ball during a part of my routine (yes, a planned bounce) but the ball hit a crack in the pavement stage and shot away from me. (insert embarassing chase scene here)

Ouch. Any other interesting competition stories?

Nathan
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
It isn't really what you do,but how you do it.
Do not go out there and try to win. Just go out there and entertain them.

Your program will be better if you are not thinking so hard on winnning. Let your personality come out. Have fun!

This will help you to win.

Ray
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
Yes I'm planning on doing a sub trunk plus last year I was in a competition by doing a BackPack Escape. the BackPack itself is Like 4 ft tall and about 30 inchs across this was a Worlds First. I didn't care what I did I just wanted to get back up on stage wasnt on stage since I was 13 years old doing a rope escape. Don,
Shifty
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Shifty
I am doing a tallent show this year at my school. I have never performed on stage so I don't know how I will be able to handle it. I figured that I want to make sure that everyone has a ton of fun and like me and what I do. I don't want to concentrate on any really hard moves so I'm going to do The Vanishing Bandana.

It's easy and gets a HUGE reaction! Just an idea.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
That effect has gotten me more laughs than anything else I have ever purchased.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Thinking About Doing A Talent Show! Help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL