The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » "Siberian Chain Escape" help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Hi folks,

I've never done escape magic, but recently acquired a "Deluxe Siberian Chain Escape" wrongly assuming that the instructions would be "deluxe" as well. (They appeared to be a photocopy of the incomprehensible Adam's instructions.)

Would someone mind giving me a hand with this? The escape is still difficult when I attempt to follow the instructions (my hands are large, and my wrists are small). I must be misunderstanding something. Smile

thanks in advance,
Doug
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I would hope by now that someone has clued you in on this one Doug.

It is very simple, if done right.

I recently did a mail bag escape, quick end to a show, and was chained with Siberian type chain before I got into the bag.

My inexperienced assistant was having so much trouble closing up the bag, that I started to reach up (thankfully from inside the bag where no one could see) to help her, and the chain came loose with that easy motion. So you can see it should not be difficult.

One routine I used to do a lot is to be chained and then have the chains covered with a heavy cloth, and then misdirect the person who chained me for a moment, and while the rest of the audience watched, I would pull one hand free from under the cover, scratch my head, and before the "helper" could turn to see what the audience was laughing about, I would put my hand back under, and then to the amazement of everyone, ask him to check the chains and he would find me still chained and locked.

PM me if you didn't get help on it yet. It can be a lot of fun.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
In order to make sure that someone can't get out of them, make sure that the large link, on the end is positioned on the bottom of their wrist (the side opposite the thumb).

To ensure that you have plenty of slack, make sure that the large link on the end is positioned on top of the wrist (near the thumb). The other end of the chain should go through that large link, double back toward the bottom of the wrist and then the other wrist will be brought into play, pinning the slack between the wrists. With a circular motion of the wrists, the end of the chain can be flipped over the top of both wrists. The end of the chain can be drawn through the remaining large link and doubled back and padlocked.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
Thank you kindly, gentlemen!
(esp. HM, who helped, big time Smile, offline)

dp Smile
http://douglas_peters.tripod.com/whimsicalconjuror
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
Mr Secret-ary
View Profile
Regular user
Bath, England
106 Posts

Profile of Mr Secret-ary
Quote:
On 2002-07-03 15:47, BroDavid wrote:
I would hope by now that someone has clued you in on this one Doug.

It is very simple, if done right.

I recently did a mail bag escape, quick end to a show, and was chained with Siberian type chain before I got into the bag.

PM me, if you didn't get help on it yet. It can be a lot of fun.

BroDavid

Hi Bro David, I kind of have Doug's problem in reverse, and was impressed by your obviously knowledgeable post. I'm advising on a Houdini show, starring a non-magician, and have had the SCE recommended to me by escapologists as a no-brainer escape he can do. I'm in the process of shopping around for a good set of rings and chains (actually, wondering whether I shouldn't just try and find them elsewhere than a magic dealer!) on behalf of the production, but I REALLY don't want to then find the instructions are inadequate! We're on a tight schedule as I wasn't brought in till relatively late on. Would you be prepared to let me have a copy of your own, clearer instructions too? They could prove a life (well, okay— show) saver.

:handcuffs:

Many thanks,
Ian Carpenter
(Bath Circle of Magicians)

P.S. Are you really a 'Bro' of some kind?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I responded to Ian's email with a private email containing far more information than he probably needed, but I only now realized that he had also posted his questions here.

I gave him my advice, on chain selection, lock selection, chain placement, and routining and performing strategies. And I don't think too many others would like that same level of discussion.

The SCE appears simple, and essentially it is simple. But it can be extremely powerful if performed properly. A lot of folks just do it. And they manage to get a reasonable response. But I believe that you can do it with style and proper presentation, and get an outstanding audience reaction.

So little things about the SCE are more important to me than to some others. In fact, I know a number of magicians who do escapes, and wouldn't be caught dead doing a SCE. And what they do is largely far more difficult and takes a great deal more skill than my Siberian Chain Escape. But I honestly don't think the applause is much louder for them.

But enough on my passion for making simple things magic.

In the P.S. on that last message, Ian asked a question that wasn't in the email. Am I really a 'Bro' of some kind?

Yes!

I am an Evangelist to America. I am a Born Again Brother of all Men. I have served on the streets, and on the church and organizational boards, taking the message of Brotherhood and Racial Reconciliation wherever it will be heard.

"Bro" just became the name that I was most often called on the streets in the city. White, Black, Hispanic, they all call me that way. You can get called a lot of things on the streets, but when they call you
"Bro", you are OK.

So yes, I am really a "Bro".

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Years back I made a nice Siberian chain escape, that I still have, out of a dog training collar... a fairly heavy and shiny one. All it takes is shortening it, by cutting off the extra links. Also, I moved the one round ring to the location it needed to be, bent it back in place, and used liquid weld at the joint so it would "look" solid. Looks was the issue, as it is plenty strong. On the weld I put a dab of chrome paint. It is 20 years old now and still looks top notch. I have used it a number of times. Nice effect with the proper buildup about how it was used by German Police.
quack
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » "Siberian Chain Escape" help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL