The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The lottery of birth (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
OK, got it. I don't feel totally stupid. I do remember now you saying you were a fan but I guess I haven't read enough of your posts to remember to what degree!

(I actually did the search correctly, just didn't type it in correctly in my comment to you.) If I search for keyword EP and username magicalaurie, I get nothing, just a link to this topic here. I can't click on the search link you provided because it says the search id belongs to another user. The link you provided has his name, but since I didn't know his name, I couldn't search for that.

Do people really try to mock EP? Why would anyone do that?
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
No need to feel stupid. Thanks for investigating. Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2015, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:

Do we owe humanity, the global society, something since we take part of it? I
MO, yes by initiating no violence

Based on your following comments, it's clear you lack an understanding of just what "iniatiating no violence" means.

Or perhaps he disagrees with your interpretation of just what constitutes "violence."

But at least I figured out who EP is. Smile
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
My interpretation?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Correct.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2015, magicalaurie wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.

- John Donne

Very nice.

So by using that analogy when a murderer or child molester dies, humanity is the lesser for their death?

Yet, if they're so insignificant, NYC, why are you citing them as an example- don't you see you've just acknowledged your connection to them? The irony is you've used them to try to elevate the rest of humanity. Again, I see the same with those who try to mock EP while using him to proclaim themselves as so much less a joke than he was. We're all connected. I'd like to see humanity trying to heal. Pitching real people out the window when none is made of any better than another is nothing more than hypocrisy attempting to deceive. It's so blatant and routine that many are afraid even to question it or face it directly anymore. But I believe still people see it for what it is whether they dare speak to it or not. We have a choice. And I want to see truth and healing.

Now, I may in fact agree with you that we are not diminished by the death of another, but perhaps we have let opportunity pass. We continue learning, though. Peace.

Hey Laurie, how are you?

I'm not sure what you were getting at exactly but I think we're going to disagree. Let me know if I've misunderstood.
Everything that follows are, of course, only my opinions.

"Yet, if they're so insignificant, NYC, why are you citing them as an example- don't you see you've just acknowledged your connection to them? The irony is you've used them to try to elevate the rest of humanity."

I only cited them as examples to show that the analogy the poem posits as this wonderful truth, is wrong. I don't view the fact that we're both human as proof of any connection, so there is no irony when I say humanity is better when they are gone.
As a side note to everyone going forward, I dislike analogies as they usually confuse and lead to disagreement. Therefore I will no longer consider any comparisons between the sum total of human beings on earth,(humanity) to a land mass, a forest, an ocean, people on a hypothetical lifeboat, a bowl of Jello or anything else.
In short, analogies hurt my brain.

"I see the same with those who try to mock EP while using him to proclaim themselves as so much less a joke than he was."

I have no idea who or what EP is. Regardless, I never consider myself a joke, so I could never consider myself less of of one. I have a feeling others may disagree with me on that though Smile

"We're all connected."

I disagree. Furthermore I don't think were are all of equal value. A brain surgeon is more valuable than a bum, taken at face value. You may disagree, as you most certainly have in the past, but to me this is a simple fact.

"I'd like to see humanity trying to heal."

So would I. In fact I'd like to see it do something to actually heal, by which I mean correct the mistakes we've made, and continue to make, which have led to all the inequalities which was originally the subject of this thread.

"Pitching real people out the window when none is made of any better than another is nothing more than hypocrisy attempting to deceive. It's so blatant and routine that many are afraid even to question it or face it directly anymore. But I believe still people see it for what it is whether they dare speak to it or not."

I wouldn't pitch any real person out any window unless they were a direct threat. Not even a murderer or child molester. I believe in non-violence but I am not a pacifist.
Since I've stated clearly that I think that humanity is made better when such scum are gone; I can't see how I'm being hypocritical or deceptive.
What anyone else sees, but is afraid to question, face, or dare speak of, is their own business.

"We have a choice"

Technically yes, but the majority are having the choices available to them steadily diminish, while the minority make more and more choices for them, very badly.

"I want to see truth and healing."

I think most good people want both of those things, but they never seem to define them. I ask you what is your truth that you'd like to see manifest and spread, and what exactly is the damage we are to heal from?

"I may in fact agree with you that we are not diminished by the death of another"

DO you in fact agree? From what you've written above, and before, it appears you don't. Again maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning.

"Perhaps we have let opportunity pass"

If by opportunity you mean the final chance to correct our course, then I disagree. We have certainly let many opportunities pass and we continue to do so every minute.

"We continue learning, though"

Agreed, but we don't seem to be learning the right things fast enough. The sad truth is that the inequalities continue, and they're growing ever faster, as does the violence and destruction.
Many species have come and gone, but we may have the dubious distinction of being the first to destroy ourselves.
If we do we'll have no one to blame but ourselves, since we certainly aren't lacking in ability or resources.

As always, and for all of us,
Peace.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
“To judge a man by his weakest link or deed is like judging the power of the ocean by one wave.”

https://www.facebook.com/elvis

I say nonjudgment, nonviolence, love heals. Life is a gift. I spend a lot of time in Nature. And in Nature I see an understanding of truth, of grace. When I say we are all connected, I mean we are all connected. Life is a gift. Love heals.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
To say “To judge a man by his weakest link or deed is like judging the power of the ocean by one wave.” makes no sense.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I think you understand what he was trying to say, tommy.

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2015, magicalaurie wrote:

NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2015, magicalaurie wrote:
“To judge a man by his weakest link or deed is like judging the power of the ocean by one wave.”

https://www.facebook.com/elvis

I say nonjudgment, nonviolence, love heals. Life is a gift. I spend a lot of time in Nature. And in Nature I see an understanding of truth, of grace. When I say we are all connected, I mean we are all connected. Life is a gift. Love heals.

I'm sure you also see a lot of violence in nature. A lot of animals kill each other to establish dominance. Male lions kill the cubs of vanquished foes when they take control of a pride.

At least we've gotten past the simple kill or be killed, so there's that.

We all judge, it's how we value things and people. Non-violence and the healing power of love is all very nice, but I was looking for something more concrete. My bad.

At least I found out who EP was. I have no idea how he figures into this, but I understand you now.

Thanks anyway.

Take care.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Grace.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
The point is, NYC, we all need healing, and are allowed to have it. And, obviously, that includes those you call "scum". That's truth. And acknowledging that will allow healing for all. Love heals. It reconciles. Accepting grace is a humble thing to do. Suffering is optional. Perpetuation of violence is a choice. You're looking for something "concrete". Life flows. Love heals all. I'm thankful for that. Life is a gift. It goes way beyond $.

Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So do you contend there is no need for prison? Just love the offender and all will be right with the world? I do not understand your position.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
We'll just have to disagree on this.

There are things you don't come back from, and scum do not deserve healing.
So we have a different truth.

Not all suffering is optional. The victims of molestation were given no choice. Life often stops flowing for them although they continue to exist.
Life stops flowing for murder victims also

No offense, but platitudes about love and grace are all well and good in the abstract, but we live in the real world.
People make concrete choices, and those choices define them. Some take the gift of life and throw it away. They become monsters and forfeit grace, love and forgiveness

There is a deeper level to this, but it's not necessary to go into it.

As always, I wish you

Peace
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The lottery of birth (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL