The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Crimson Peak (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
neoinwonderland
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of neoinwonderland
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2015, kOnO wrote:
Was hoping for a real Ghost Story. Got a bloody love story.

kOnO

This is why I have trust issues.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Hoping to see this on Sunday.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
Saw it with my wife, I liked it. Cool scenery, ghosts weren't bad either....then again, I liked the Goosebumps movie in 3d so do not go by me....
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
214 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
Visually, I thought it was a feast. And, if you know the gothic romance tropes, there will be little that surprises you, except perhaps that there is more gore than the average Daphne Du Maurier or Charlotte Bronte.

But the ghost story/romance was addressed humorously in the opening with the publisher saying no one wants just a ghost story, and that the authoress needed to add a romance. I thought it was amusing, given the rest of the plot.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I saw it last night and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Beautifully photographed, it's a real homage to the old gothic romances. If you're expecting a horror film, you'll be disappointed, and it's a pity that the trailers imply that it is such.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I'm going tomorrow. It does look like fun.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Saw it, loved it.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1332 Posts

Profile of reese
I look forward to seeing it. An old fan of old Gothic romances. I do prefer the sentient haunted house genre more though. Still, a good movie is a good movie.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Save your money, the Witch Hunter was better (at least it didn't take itself serious). This was decent but typical Hollywood melodrama with overarching violins and a humorous ending that had many in the audience laughing. The house was the star of the show, nicely shot and colored, direction was good but forced plot. Seeing the guy from the show Supernatural (Jim Beaver playing the Dad) made it seem like this was made for TV.

I wanted to like it... Wait for Netflix. 3 out of 5

Smile
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
Agree w/Darkness.
Run don't walk to the bank to re-deposit your Admission tkt. funds..
Del Toro should have followed the old bizarre/mystery entertainer axiom of "Less is more".
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Oct 26, 2015, Gismologic wrote:

True.

Del Toro should have followed the old bizarre/mystery entertainer axiom of "Less is more".

There is nothing about Del Toro's movies that is "less is more," which is why I'm waiting to watch this on TV. I can appreciate his films for what they are meant to be...painterly cinematic visual and auditory extravaganzas, but I'm not sure I want to dish out the full ticket price to experience them.

Of course, no one is really wrong here. Film is art. Del Toro is an artist. And we can debate all day and night whether his vision is ours. (And than there is that thing called "Hollywood" that seems to blur many a sharp vision).

I know that this film is not necessarily a "horror" film, but after decades of watching, and enjoying, rapidly advancing special effects in so many film genres, I'm still waiting for the "horror" film that will err on the side of simplicity and be created knowing that people don't need much to be scared, except fear.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
Perhaps it was too much to ask on my part as a spec while watching this pastiche, but, when 3/4's of a film is shot in a structure that is open to the night sky in a blizzard and none of the characters are able to muster a shiver..?
Freidkin understood the effects of the presence of the paranormal in the Exorcist.
In the run up to the climax, Freidkin had EVERY character exhibit the chill of vapor on every exhale!
Del Toro had his characters react to their environment as if they were in Buenos Aires in the winter..
Even a young Shamalyan in "The Sixth Sense" had a fundamental grasp of basic physics in this regard.
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
893 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
I LOVED this movie. So Gothic, what an incredible haunted house. I just sat and smiled through the whole thing.
CryptKeeper
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of CryptKeeper
It was eye candy; that's about it. Typical plot nothing special unless someone can tell us why it was so good?
CryptKeeper
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of CryptKeeper
Hey Al I found my typo! Thanks buddy!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4697 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2015, Gismologic wrote:
Perhaps it was too much to ask on my part as a spec while watching this pastiche, but, when 3/4's of a film is shot in a structure that is open to the night sky in a blizzard and none of the characters are able to muster a shiver..?
Freidkin understood the effects of the presence of the paranormal in the Exorcist.
In the run up to the climax, Freidkin had EVERY character exhibit the chill of vapor on every exhale!
Del Toro had his characters react to their environment as if they were in Buenos Aires in the winter..
Even a young Shamalyan in "The Sixth Sense" had a fundamental grasp of basic physics in this regard.

As a person who has worn clothing of the period, I'm not surprised that none of them felt cold. Even the men wore several layers and much of it was wool.

Besides, there's not much "reality" going on in the story as the last shot in the film makes clear.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Sneaky_Pest
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
24 Posts

Profile of Sneaky_Pest
Most of the time I'm going to this kind of movie for the decor and get spooky ideas, so who cares if the story isn't much interesting...
Gismologic
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of Gismologic
Of course none of the chapters "felt" cold standing in front of a green screen on a comfortable stage-set, that was my rather unfortunate take away.
actorcoop
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of actorcoop
I loved it. It was visually lush- like others have said the house was the real star of the show. I also liked that the setting justifying the color of the ghosts. I wasn't particularly fond of the ending, but Jessica Chastain knocked her role out of the water. 10/10 for the house and her acting!

I also really enjoyed the bit with the phonograph cylinders.
*I knew you were going to read this
chiartguy
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
56 Posts

Profile of chiartguy
Like all of Guillermo del Toro's films, this was visually stunning and very inspiring aesthetically. The house and costumes were particularly excellent. Great use of the color red as well.

I have to agree with some of the above sentiments that it seems like there were several missed opportunities regarding the story/plot. With such a stellar cast I was kind of hoping for another del Toro flick as impressive as Pan's Labyrinth.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Crimson Peak (19 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL