The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Magic Interview (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
Hey Café ,

I need some advice . What you guys thing about doing a magic trick after a job interview that when presumably well . Yes It might work or no don't risk it . Please give opinions .
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
What's the job?
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
279 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Unless you are being interviewed for a job that is magic related, I wouldn't recommend it.

Job interviews are just as stressful on the person doing the interview. I speak from experience when I say that interviewers have gone through a lot of applications, have set aside a day or two to interview several potential candidates (at least one of whom is outside waiting to be interviewed while your interview is being conducted). The interviewer just wants to get their questions answered and get a sense of your fit in the workplace.

There's nothing wrong with indicating your interest in magic as a hobby or outside interest on your resume. If during the course of an interview, you are asked about your outside interests, that would be the time to mention your interest in magic. If you are specifically asked to show them something, then I would be casual about it and do something quick and impromptu with coins, a pen or something close at hand (that is, don't go into your briefcase and bring out your cups and balls)
Thorn
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
The job is optical lab related . I guess seeing and not seeing (deception ) plays hand in hand. I just wanna leave a lasting impression so they remember me but I don't wanna be tagged as the magic guy. I feel something like Gregory Wilson Recapped would be a perfect impromptu or something fail safe like a invisble deck would be great as well .
I just wanna show that I have outside interests and hobbies that I have a long life passion for.
Thorn
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
Bump
Kuzushi
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Kuzushi
I'd say it all depends on how the interaction is going and what you plan to do. Perhaps if they were to ask a typical job interview question about a subject that you could use as a pretext into demonstrating something. For example, if they ask you about your problem solving skills and you say, "Well I like to think of myself as a logical thinker and at the same time I know that things are not always as they seem . . ." smoothly begin describing some effect or other and see if they take the bait.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
If you were into crossfit, would you end the interview by doing one armed push-ups?

I've brought magic up in interviews if the topic if hobbies come up. I will tie it into the job...stressing communications, social skills, and even creative thought. Remember your goal is to get the job, your best bet for that is to demonstrate you have the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to do the work.

If we've talked about magic, I never have been asked to do something. Nor would I offer without specifically being asked. Even then I would probably defer saying I didn't have anything, but would be happy to do something when I come back for the next interview (or when I start the job).

I'm pretty sure I lost out on a position party due to magic. I was interviewing with a senior Vice President and we talked about hobbies. I mentioned magic. He was politely listening after that but I sensed a change in his demeanor. I'm sure as they discussed me later he considers that against me (though there were other aspects as well, I don't blame it all on bringing up magic).
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
The last time I went in for a job interview, the interviewer noticed that I had magic as one of my hobbies.

( first thing I was asked, I haven't even taken a seat yet) So, your a magician? Show me something!
I borrowed his ring, coin, pen, business cards. Ten minutes later, I was hired.

Moral of the story: magic does have its advantages.
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
I've interviewed a lot of accountants. Maybe if they did something making money vanish it would be a bad idea? Maybe interviewing to be a physician in an emergency room and pulling out your needle through arm trick? Bake a cake in a hat for a pastry chef interview?
jordanamystika
View Profile
New user
IN
52 Posts

Profile of jordanamystika
Depends on the job? Don't do it unless asked.
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
Don't do it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Magic Interview (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL