The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Spiritualist Debates THURSTON at Carnegie Hall..WINS (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Who cares?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
This is getting ridiculous. NO ONE is saying he didn't give the message. The issue is HOW he got the information and the overwhelming consensus of historians and Houdini biographers is that it was obtained by normal means and NOT through communication with the dead.

This violates the Tenth commandment of the Ten Commandments of Logic. Smile
We will be using logical means to justify the arguments given in this discussion.
After hearing Bobs last internet interview I know he is 100% capable of this!

“Accepting the good faith of all parties concerned,” Mr. Stafford said, “there is no question that communication was established between a living person and one dead.”
JOHN W. STAFFORD
REPRESENTATIVE OF THE SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN....

Mr. Stafford was there Bob. He was at several of the Seances. He came back the next day to view the documents locked in the Houdini Vault on 5th Street and then sign the written statement by Bess Houdini herself. So did a representative of the United Press and Bess's close friend.

To say the consensus was overwhelming must not have included those who were ACTUALLY THERE!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Unfortunately my August 2011 magic magazine has been severely damaged ... Does anyone have one for sale? Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Did you check genii online?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2018, The Hermit wrote:

Would genii carry magic?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Oct 31, 2018, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2018, The Hermit wrote:

Would genii carry magic?

Yes, Genii is carrying the digital collection of the Magic Magazine.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I'll look again ... That would be cool. I wonder If I could post some of the pictures on my site? Are the pictures in the digital copy I'd imagine? Smile Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2018, Slim King wrote:
I'll look again ... That would be cool. I wonder If I could post some of the pictures on my site? Are the pictures in the digital copy I'd imagine? Smile Smile

The digital copy is a complete scan of each page. Ads and all.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Years ago, but within my lifetime, there was a now famous debate between presidential candidates Richard Nixon and John F. Kennedy.

Those who saw the debate on television, said that Kennedy won the debate. He was cool under pressure whereas Nixon looked rattled. Those who LISTENED to the debate on radio, claimed that Nixon seemed to have a better grasp of the fundamental topics and that HE won the debate!

Perception is everything.

Here are the facts as I see them;

Ford and Thurston had a debate. Points made by Thurston were proven to be exaggerated. Therefore, you claim that Ford "won" the debate. You have not given us an examination of what points FORD made during the debate or how well they were fact-checked. It is not clear that Ford won the debate.

Also, Ford revealed the Houdini code. This is a fact.
What is NOT established is that Ford got the code from the spirit of Harry Houdini. It has been established that it is possible that Ford got the code from other sources.

This article;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Ford_(psychic)

indicates that there were many questions about Ford's abilities and his credibility.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Unfortunately that article is riddled with lies. A blatant one is this .."Following her husband's death in 1926, Bess Houdini began attending seances conducted by Ford" ... There is no proof provided that she ever attended any seances by Ford. In fact the only seance she attended was on January 8th in her own home in 1929. Some say she had met Ford at the Thurston debate but later comments by her suggest that even that was just an assumption... her letter to Walter Winchelle is very enlightening. I suggest you read it. He quit the magazine he worked for just a few weeks later. Such a fantastic debate it was. Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2018, Slim King wrote:
Unfortunately that article is riddled with lies. A blatant one is this .."Following her husband's death in 1926, Bess Houdini began attending seances conducted by Ford" ... There is no proof provided that she ever attended any seances by Ford. In fact the only seance she attended was on January 8th in her own home in 1929. Some say she had met Ford at the Thurston debate but later comments by her suggest that even that was just an assumption... her letter to Walter Winchelle is very enlightening. I suggest you read it. He quit the magazine he worked for just a few weeks later. Such a fantastic debate it was. Smile

It’s always easy to cry “lies” when something doesn’t say what you’d like it to.

Is it a lie that Ford failed the only legitimate test he was put to?

Is it a lie that the code was available from other sources?

Ford simply doesn’t strike me as a reputable source.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The code was NOT revealed ... although an adaptation of it was used .. The revealed code was a numerical code .. They adapted it to a alphabetic code ... Which was NOT in the book .. So that's a lie ... ( Besides .. even if you knew the code you'd not know the CODE WORD.. the secret word .. There were 15 of those) Secondly, Ford Passed the test 100%.. attested to by the United Press, Scientific American and Bess herself in a sworn document. Simply read Magic and Mystery by Dunninger and you'll see Ford was highly regarded by Dunninger to be legit.... Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Dunninger

If Dunninger believed Ford was legit,why didn’t he give him the $10,000? Why does he say;

“through all these long years, I have sought good honest ghosts, phantoms, spirits, astral beings, banshees, fays, wee folk, apparitions, fetches—the whole pack and passel of the unsubstantial world—and I have always been able to prove them frauds."[2]

^ a b c d e f g Samuel, Lawrence R. (2011). Supernatural America: A Cultural History. ABC-CLIO. pp. 48-51. ISBN 978-0-313-39899-5
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I believe the book I quoted was written in 1967 .. What year is your quote from?
But reading the link it's pretty easy to see the Magicians Out ... Lets say a Psychic holds his hands over an 8 once rock and it levitates ... Dunning could easily say that the psychic put a Million Jigawatt fan under the stone and blew it into the air.... Or claim that the psychic used a 3D laser hologram to fool everyone ... or that the onlookers had been hypnotized before the performance and simple agreed to say it really happened... ROTFLMAO!!!!!! If your quote was before "67" I'll call it into question 100%...
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
You haven’t quoted a book. You just told me to read it.

Rev. Ford died in 1971.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Ford_(psychic)

If Dunninger has decided he was legit by 1967 (and presumably before that, since it takes time to compile, edit and publish a book) why isn’t there any indication of Dunniger going to bat for Ford and claiming he deserved the $10,000?
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Ed

Find a brick wall. Step back about 10 paces and face the wall. Bend over, and run full speed forward. Repeat.

That’s what it’s like arguing with Slim this topic...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Fair enough. If I can’t get a straight answer, then I’m done.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
You haven’t quoted a book. You just told me to read it.

Rev. Ford died in 1971.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Ford_(psychic)

If Dunninger has decided he was legit by 1967 (and presumably before that, since it takes time to compile, edit and publish a book) why isn’t there any indication of Dunniger going to bat for Ford and claiming he deserved the $10,000?

Ford didn't apply for any of the monetary offerings. None of them. In fact it is said his church members were the ones who said these prizes only prompted more fake psychics to emerge. It is claimed they were the ones who convinced Bess to stop the contest. Ford exposed more fake psychics in his lifetime than Houdini did. He was never interested in the prize money. He did quite well without it. Smile Smile Smile
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
BTW ... I got to discuss this with George Noory on Coast to Coast AM a couple weeks ago. So much fun!!!! People who actually knew Arthur Ford called in .. It was quite an experience!!! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Spiritualist Debates THURSTON at Carnegie Hall..WINS (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL