The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Something out of the ordinary - Nicholas Lawrence & SANDSMINDS (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
So let me get this straight. All seven effects are very visual and really good but you felt compelled to give it s 3/10 because you don't want to make or carry gimmicks or buy an extra product or have to switch? Crazy.

I do appreciate the updated review and going over each effect. That was much more useful and makes me want to get this immediately because your negatives don't bother me. I find it frustrating that you posted such a negative review though, because it doesn't feel like it was even remotely fair to the oroduct and people will view and have a completely incorrect notion of the product. I don't know Mr Lawrence or have any connection but I've liked other stuff he's done and feels bad to see a pan. If like him to release more things in the future. Thanks for updating.
Michael Graves
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
150 Posts

Profile of Michael Graves
I spoke to Nicolas and we had a great conversation, I think you will find this VERY much in depth as a second review. You will also get the reason the score was low the first time...just take a look, Nicolas has watched this and he likes this one a lot better Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0gjqkBguQ
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Better.

Like the in depth look at each effect. Still find it strange that both of you begin each included effect saying it's cool or really good and then spend the next few minutes kind of tearing it down. Maybe I'd need the dvd to understand your misgivings but it seems like an illusion is either good or not. Each segment seemed to go from enthusiasm to muted like. Find that a bit odd.

Secondly, it's hard to take reviewers seriously if they lowball a score and then redo it so drastically. 3/10 to 7&8/10 is a huge difference. Maybe you should be more careful and sure initially before posting something because now I have no idea watching your reviews if they're accurate to your actual feelings.

Maybe I just really want this to be good and I'm hoping for too much. As a hobbyist who uses magic for sales and business it's right up my alley.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2835 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, Michael Graves wrote:
I spoke to Nicolas and we had a great conversation, I think you will find this VERY much in depth as a second review. You will also get the reason the score was low the first time...just take a look, Nicolas has watched this and he likes this one a lot better Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0gjqkBguQ

Not worth my time to hear your review. Love Nicolas magic.
Michael Graves
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
150 Posts

Profile of Michael Graves
Understandable, as mentioned in the DVD and talking to nicolas, there was just a miscom about the impromptu magic side. the number was not changed to make anyone happy, it was changed due to the new information about the effects and after looking at this from a NON impromptu mind set.

I understand slackering, we were not tearing it down, we were just going very in depth about the trick and our thoughts on it.

Mr Effecto, it is great that you love it Smile

Nicolas sent me a message after the new review and likes it very much and has shared it, so might be worth your time.
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Finally got this last week since all the reviews I've seen rated it very highly except for the one above. I should have just trusted my instinct and bought it sooner. It's a fantastic collection of effects. If you like what you see in the trailer you will like this a lot. I have no idea why anyone would think any of these were impromptu, it seems completely obvious these are gimmicked effects, however none of them take up much space and are worth carrying.

X Move - Beautiful. Clever. The effect is wonderful without the extra addition where you need to buy another prop. In fact I prefer it simpler but that's personal preference. 10/10
Matchbook Transpo - The centerpiece of the DVD with good reason. Absolutely love this. 10/10
Straw Thru Bill - fantastic thinking, so clever. 10/10
Folder - all of his effects are really simple, this is no exception. Don't really think you need to change the handling like the above reviewers stated to use it successfully. It's fine as is (not that someone couldn't improve handling). 9/10
Color changing Bands - great. I won't use it much because I don't carry different colored bands but if you do this is cool. 8/10
Unwrapped Gum - quick and visual. 8/10
Cigarette in Eye - most complex effect on DVD. It's very clever but I don't smoke so I wouldn't use it. 7/10

Overall if you perform close up or walk around and these look good to you I think you'll find at least a few that are keepers. For me it's a 10/10 because the three effects I'll use are killers but in fairness that not everyone will like the same things I'll say it's a solid 9/10. I hope people will support this, so we get more good stuff from Nicholas Lawrence.
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
I love everything puts out by SansMind and this is no exception. Magic with very innocent looking objects. Kudos to Nicholas Lawrence.
Cartman
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Cartman
Does anyone know if the matchbox effect can be done with sticks of gum?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Something out of the ordinary - Nicholas Lawrence & SANDSMINDS (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL