The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Opening and closing illusion (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicRhett
View Profile
New user
Cumberland, MD
54 Posts

Profile of MagicRhett
Hello All,

I'm writing a new illusion show and need some suggestions. I'm trying to figure out which illusion I should use for my(the illusionist ) appearance. I have used a show box to make myself appear for a couple of years, but I want something new. Something big and with a WOW factor. Needs to have a big impression on the audience since this will be the first illusion of the show. I have a crew and dance team, so it can be operated from the crew or dancers. Also, I'm looking for an illusion to close the show. In the past I have done an escape from a box that is suspended in the air, the box breaks open and I'm in the audience. Now I have a huge 10' tall guillotine and I was thinking of converting it into a DC buzz saw escape illusion. What are your thoughts? And what illusion is a good one to close a show, if not the guillotine illusion? And input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Jan Rouven performs mega illusions in his show in Las Vegas.

And he closes his show with his smallest 'prop'. A normal easel which holds a wooden frame and pieces of wood.

Very small stage magic effect.

And it gets standing ovations.

It isn't really much of what illusions you use to close, it's how you close it as a magician, a performer, an entertainer, and ultimately at the end of your show, a FRIEND to your audience.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Actually, I prefer a smaller, "story illusion" such as Gypsy Thread, a bubble effect, or something similar, because it is usually a memorable contrast to the rest of the show.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I have one show where I walk out without an intro and start a conversation which leads to a prediction effect then the first illusion is brought out.

It's all about theatre. Imagine you are Florenz Ziegfeld. Some of your shows were on a stage, some were on the radio and there was the movie too. Each one began in a different manor. Someone had to imagine what they wanted to accomplish and the path to achieve it. It's all about theatre.

So... what is the story you want to tell?
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
It depends upon what follows the opening and precedes the closing. My favorite arc saw me fremetically exhausting myself during the next to last illusion -- and then a "one more addition" because you were a great audience, the like master showmen would use. often speaking intimately into the mike when sitting on the edge of the stage.

I think -- because of venue, travel and the like -- I lost often used Kevin James version of Snow with schmaltzy story more often than not. If I had the space and time to set up snow machines to go with it over the audience -- and the money to afford quiet versions --- I would have used the, closing curtains while it was still snowing and climax music was still playing -- then curtain calls for bows only.

Have always preferred fire openings -- simple torch to cane type stuff -- as it gets you on stage and offers a magical douse -- and the cane can be used as a wand in some cases depending upon your routining.
However, towards the end of my travels sometimes fire permits were not readily available.

On yes -- sometimes in the huddle a loud BANG helps.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Jon Rouvan actually closes with his original spike box sub trunk with a run around and appearance in the audience. at least that is what he did when I was there 9 months ago that being said here is my take on things

i too used to open the show with big illusion but since have changed to just walking out on stage as I have a manipulation act to open the show that does conclude with an original blammo effect.

point is its not so much the illusion as it is to choose something that will set the tone for the show.
that being said you want suggestions so here are a few

the elevator illusion is most likely the most wow open out there that really is cool
one of my personal favorites is the Flambe illusion. not done to often
modern cabinet but not that spectacular but still a nice effect.

as for the closer I firmly believe in the wow factor. my closing set is currently sub trunk and my original snow storm routine but then I have a new closer that I really think is more of an
encore.

this is where I think the smaller quiet slow down moment can be powerful. of course if it is not your style then go big.
but my encore is my thread of life (my gypsy thread version) (on a personal note I know some will say my choice of closing illusions are common but they are only common to magicians)

although done often and you said you did it too the run around and appearing in the audience is a classic that I don't think any audience will ever get board of.

but other closers that could work
table of death
double levitation
an escape and appearance in audience.

good luck with your new show.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Sam,

Yes I saw that illusion too. It was an original and fusion of two illusions. I have the base and stairs too, it was built by Ken Whitaker and Paul Haynes. But mine is a Smoke Chamber.

I saw that illusion in his show too but it was the second to last effect in the show. He closed with the Elixir of Life. Very great way to end the show.

But then again, it really really depends on who the performer is. I guess you could even end the show with a song number and you singing and dancing IF you are very good at that.

So, try different ways to end the show. Then after many shows, find out what works best! Smile

Best of luck.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. It is good reading all the other replies.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
The one thought I have read on opening effects (for an entire show) is that unless you are a known performer you will not generate the kind of reaction that the effect is truly worthy of ie. Copperfield's elevator etc. Better to have the production of the performer open the second half. Let the performer be the one to create the magic in the first half.

Blair
"ShaZzam!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Opening and closing illusion (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL