The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Spectator Cuts to Thought of Card - Super Easy (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Don't under estimate this - it has got me good reactions.

Ask for a card to be named. Under the pretence of checking the card is there as you sometimes lose / give cards away - whatever - fan the faces towards you and cut the named card to the top. Don't stop here, feign you haven't found it and look again this time stopping half way and say something like 'ah ok there it is'.

Now have the spec cut the deck and do the simple Criss Cross. At this point you can ask why they chose the card they did etc. to achieve the necessary time misdirection and then ask them to look at the card they cut to which is of course their named card.

Of course you can increase the cleanliness of the effect by putting a 7 hearts or queen hearts at the top (no looking required to start) or with an ace of spades at the bottom (Simple double undercut to mix the cards).

Enjoy!
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Nice Trick. Thanks ü Check out Sort of psychic in John Bannons Destination Zero for a really cool idea on this.
Bogbadger
View Profile
Special user
England
626 Posts

Profile of Bogbadger
Very nice, thanks Russell, do you know if there is a name for this trick at all?
merlin2812
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
Hello,

thanks for the sharing!
I didn't quite understand the part where you propose to put a 7 of hearts or a queen on the top? What for? Or the ace of spades on the bottom?

best,

merlin
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2015, merlin2812 wrote:
Hello,

thanks for the sharing!
I didn't quite understand the part where you propose to put a 7 of hearts or a queen on the top? What for? Or the ace of spades on the bottom?

best,

merlin

These are commonly named cards so you wouldn't have to hunt for them if they were named.
merlin2812
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
Got it, thanks!
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Super simple but really cool idea. When I have thought of this kind of thing in past, I usually move on to something else very quickly. When I read it just now, it somehow seemed like a much better trick... funny how reading it from someone else makes you think differently about things. I like it and will try this out! Thanks for posting it, Russell (although I think this should be left here for those new to card magic, I'm sure someone will come on here soon and tell you it belongs in another forum)... wait for it Smile
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Thanks all for your comments. Yes, putting commonly named cards near the top or bottom of the deck can facilitate a miracle!

Bob Badger - Only thought of this the other day so it has no name. Someone else surely has thought of it before but then again it would read fairly lame to a magician I think so maybe not.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
The queen / seven / ace thing got me thinking - I've heard of this sort of thing, but never looked into it. What are other commonly named cards, and in the experience of those here, are these cards that much more common than the others? From my experience, males seem to name the king of spades fairly often.

Nice trick, BTW. I thought it was too easy when I read it, but tried it yesterday and it worked awfully well.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:
The queen / seven / ace thing got me thinking - I've heard of this sort of thing, but never looked into it. What are other commonly named cards, and in the experience of those here, are these cards that much more common than the others? From my experience, males seem to name the king of spades fairly often.

Nice trick, BTW. I thought it was too easy when I read it, but tried it yesterday and it worked awfully well.

I believe Psychological Subtleties 1 has a section on this. If you have it on your shelf, take a look and see. Mine is packed away but if yours isn't, it might be worth a look.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Maybe not quite the same but along the same lines its also quite simple to steal the card whilst looking to see if the card is in the deck and then produce it from either your pocket or wallet which is something I've used for years as an out when the spectator insists on shuffling the deck.
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 18, 2015, the fritz wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2015, RogerTheShrubber wrote:

I believe Psychological Subtleties 1 has a section on this. If you have it on your shelf, take a look and see. Mine is packed away but if yours isn't, it might be worth a look.

I don't have the book, but now I know of its existence and will look for it today. Thanks, much appreciated.
TerrorInt
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of TerrorInt
Nice presentation. I like the clever manner of moving their chosen card into place.

My handling of the cross-cut uses a different premise and reveal. I use a blue back deck, and the top face card is a red-back card of a black suit. After I apparently shuffle the deck, I let them do the cut, etc the same way you do. I pick up the packet and let them see the card after a similar patter-filled time delay. Then I square the deck and then "read their mind". But instead of a black card (the suit colour), I "get it wrong" and guess it's a red card. Spec will disagree of course. I let them pick up the deck and find their card. When they take the card out, I take the remaining deck and spread it backside up on the table. They usually put their card down the same way, or at least turn it around, and notice it is red.

Then I remark that no wonder I thought it was a red card. But wow what are the odds you would cut to the only red back card in the entire deck. How did that even happen? I then pick up a red deck and ribbon spread it backside up to find the mistaken blue card and swap them as if it was all a really weird mistake, and they miraculously figured it out. I close with a comment like "you're better at this than *I* am!"

Normally my patter is more serious pseudo-science or pseudo-history, so I use this for a bit of levity. Especially if my spec is younger since they are often not exposed to mentalism getting totally derailed and still working out somehow.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Isn't the crosscut force great? I do it constantly and never have been questioned. It is important though that you take their attention off of the deck even if it's for a second or two. Sometimes after the cut I just raise my voice and say "do you want to see something incredible" while looking in their eyes and that's enough misdirection right there. Great all around force!
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 19, 2015, nattefrost wrote:
Isn't the crosscut force great? I do it constantly and never have been questioned. It is important though that you take their attention off of the deck even if it's for a second or two. Sometimes after the cut I just raise my voice and say "do you want to see something incredible" while looking in their eyes and that's enough misdirection right there. Great all around force!

Never ceases to amaze me. When I first heard of it, I thought it was ridiculous and that it couldn't possibly fool anyone. And if one doesn't distract the spectator as you suggest, that's probably the case. But with the distraction it never fails. One of the things I love about magic - card magic in particular - is how many times I learn of a trick and think "This can't possibly fool anyone," only to be proven horribly wrong.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2015, TerrorInt wrote:
Nice presentation. I like the clever manner of moving their chosen card into place.

My handling of the cross-cut uses a different premise and reveal. I use a blue back deck, and the top face card is a red-back card of a black suit. After I apparently shuffle the deck, I let them do the cut, etc the same way you do. I pick up the packet and let them see the card after a similar patter-filled time delay. Then I square the deck and then "read their mind". But instead of a black card (the suit colour), I "get it wrong" and guess it's a red card. Spec will disagree of course. I let them pick up the deck and find their card. When they take the card out, I take the remaining deck and spread it backside up on the table. They usually put their card down the same way, or at least turn it around, and notice it is red.

Then I remark that no wonder I thought it was a red card. But wow what are the odds you would cut to the only red back card in the entire deck. How did that even happen? I then pick up a red deck and ribbon spread it backside up to find the mistaken blue card and swap them as if it was all a really weird mistake, and they miraculously figured it out. I close with a comment like "you're better at this than *I* am!"

Normally my patter is more serious pseudo-science or pseudo-history, so I use this for a bit of levity. Especially if my spec is younger since they are often not exposed to mentalism getting totally derailed and still working out somehow.

I really like this way of doing the effect as well. Really, these are two completely different effects with the same method. It is cool how the same simple method leads to two completely different, yet equally as good, effects. Well done, guys. I love tricks that fool the mind more than the eyes. They are pure pleasure to perform! It might be interesting to examine/brainstorm other effects using this same, simple methodology.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
310 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2015, nattefrost wrote:

Certainly it is. Some time ago, one spectator cut just the top card, I got shocked that it worked anyway !!
So much to do, so little time . . .
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Check out Calculated Risk in my upcoming book. (Nothing to do with the criss-cross force.)
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of the fritz
When will it be out, Harry? I still have Special Effects on my list of books to buy.
Ricardo Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Ricardo Delgado
I know David Berglas and Tamariz have a way to do this without the Criss Cross force. The spectator simply cuts to the chosen card.

https://youtu.be/96ZksO8kC5E?t=416

after minute 6:57
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Spectator Cuts to Thought of Card - Super Easy (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL