The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » So close to having a character that I like ... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
It's taken forever, but I'm so close now I can taste it ...

To do (in no order):

More research
Select (narrow down) appropriate tricks
Sort (obtain, make) appropriate props
Script appropriate patter
Obtain appropriate clothing, take some photos
Write backstory

Getting there ... Smile
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Good luck buddy! Love the enthusiasm.
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
If it helps at all, there are two resources that I can recommend which may help with your character development. I know they helped me.

First - Acting for Magicians, by Richard Tenance. Available on Penguin for $14.96.

Second - Easy Street by Ann-Elizabeth Shapera, Available on Lulu.com for as low as $8.79 (Kindle version).

Besides finding and spending money on tricks and cloths, invest in some good reading about performing good theater. Good luck
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2015, Pizpor wrote:

Besides finding and spending money on tricks and cloths, invest in some good reading about performing good theater. Good luck

On that note I can totally recommend "Magic and Showmanship, A Handbook for Conjurors" by Henning Nelms.
It's about stagecraft that has developed and been applied to theatre over the years and how to utilise it for magic performances.

It really brought into focus what I needed to concentrate on to help me to engage with and captivate an audience.
From simple little things like giving the audience some clues as to what to expect from your performance so they know how to enjoy your performance and where to stand on stage to get more attention through to much bigger concepts about story telling and performance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Periods & styles of Magic » » So close to having a character that I like ... (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL