The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » As close to real mind reading as you can get (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, insight wrote:
Hello fellow mentalists,

What is that one effect you perform for your audience that is as close to real mind reading as you can get, and why would you characterize that effect as such?

Regards,
Mike

Any mindreading effect should look and feel like real mindreading. If not, what´s the point?
A simple card trick can be the real thing and the best propless effect can look like nothing. All depends.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
I looked at my repertoire and found out al of my effects that are presented as mindreading look like real mindreading. It's not because of the effect, it's because I act as if I was reading minds.

Of course, it's easy for me because I read minds for real, but I know that's not the case for everyone Smile
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
armandocoda
View Profile
New user
Cancun - Mexico
4 Posts

Profile of armandocoda
Real mind reading happens into the spectators' mind. If you can make it happen, with your persona, skill and credibility, mind reading is a fact for the audience. I've performing close-up mentalism profesionally, in hotels, daily for more than 10 years, I've bent more than 15,000 spoons (yes, I keep a record) and performed the PCT more than that; and I can state, that if (as Richard Osterlind says) if you beleive that you are doing it, MIND READING ACTUALLY HAPPENS!
Armando Coda
Mentalist
www.armandocoda.com
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
1. Psychophysiological Thought Reading
2. Muscle Reading
3. Contact Mind Reading
4. Cumberlandism
5. Hellstromism
6. Dynamite Mentalism/Sherlock Strategy
7. True Telepathy
8. Touching on Hoy
9. Train Tracking
widuk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of widuk
I think Peter Turner's name guess and Isabella's star is the closest thing I saw to real mind reading. And I think the question is clear and has all the sense.
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1338 Posts

Profile of bond19
Train Tracking is a real as it gets
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
'Sponge Ball / Which Hand' combo !
Has, to be a Blue Sponge Ball tho ...
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Is it like Sent of a Woman were Mel Gibson passes a woman and hears a voice of her thoughts?

Al Pacino.

And now back to regularly scheduled programming.
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
For insight:
1) Card Calling.
2) I don't, they do.

For everyone else:
1) Each effect in the show.
2) Because context reigns.
Rod Irroc
View Profile
Regular user
The media swarmed over my last blindfold drive... I ran over
154 Posts

Profile of Rod Irroc
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2015, Dr. Van Van Mojo wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 9, 2015, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Is it like Sent of a Woman were Mel Gibson passes a woman and hears a voice of her thoughts?

Al Pacino.

And now back to regularly scheduled programming.

Mel Gibson
What Women Want
Smile

Topic Reply
In my opinion, most all effects can look real until you know too many.
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
I'd second the nomination for cold readings. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen a friend of mine do these one-on-one (or at least in a small group). I've found that some people -- esp. those in their 20s -- really get into it and more or less believe it. I've never seen it tried in front of a crowd. (Sounds like a recipe for trouble anyway).

I suppose the big-audience version would be the effect where you collect an object from six different people and then do a watered-down cold reading based on each object. I can't think of the name of this right now.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2015, R2D2 wrote: I've never seen it tried in front of a crowd. (Sounds like a recipe for trouble anyway).

Recipe for trouble?

I disagree.

This is how most if not all Q&A are done.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
R2D2
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of R2D2
Sorry, Lord of the Horses. What I wrote was very confusing. Let me try again:

1. Q and A in front of an audience can be amazing. (In fact, that might be my new vote for "closest to real mind reading"!)

2. Personal cold reading where you hold the person's hand or palm and tell them things about their personal lives can be *incredibly* powerful. You just don't want to want to expose all this stuff in front of a crowd. Like you said, the "crowd version" of this is Q and A, which can be great.

Btw, I think when people first read about cold reading in a book, they underestimate how powerful is can be. When you see an expert do it, it is eye-opening.

P.S. For some reason, I have to spell out "Q and A". If I put in an ampersand, it gets posted wrong (in preview). Weird.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Thanks for the feedback. I am not surprised that many effects described here are propless. Great discussion!

Regards,
Mike
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I need to quote a medium I once heard ..She said... "You are the guys giving psychics a bad name!" referring to mentalists ... I'm hoping she was referring to "Bad" mentalists, but honestly guys... Some of it looks really bad..... Some of it looks hokey ... If you are doing a crappy job then just don't do it. You need to be 100% committed to making it REAL or it hurts everyone.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Slim- Let's celebrate. I agree with you one-hundred percent!
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I agree too. When was the last time all 3 of us agreed? Let's celebrate together!

Regards,
Mike
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1261 Posts

Profile of Medifro
The question will be more interesting if it was about how could we make mind reading effects feel as what laymen perceive as a real mind reading as much as possible?

Certainly demonstrating mind reading is awesome and is entertaining. What follows is So What?

Mediums and psychics reveal information for it to be used. Emotional components are involved. Mentalists ( i.e showmen ) use surprise, suspense and various presentational ploys along with charisma and stage presence to elicit similar reactions. Laymen think mind reading has occured, whatever they think that is. It is this flexibility that allows them to *believe* things once framed as mind reading.

If someone wants to do it for real. Like really, for real. Well, that's what neuroscientists are doing.

One thing that makes phenomena like real mind-reading easily debunk-able is that you'd expect those who *read minds* to get more insight about it. If you could detect bacteria using some lab staining techniques but you'd expect a guy who claims to be able to see them for real in action without any staining to give some interesting insights about them.

If someone claims to do the real thing (s)he'll never do that which is why ( to my mind at least ) its easily debunk-able. Good for mediums that they're claiming the ability to just listen to whatever the dead spirit is saying.

Mentalists can't give more insight for real obviously, that's the job of various academic disciplines. Good thing though that laymen, just like mind reading, got no idea what insights are Smile

IMO

- Feras
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
The "most real" ever saw was "In Silence" by Arnold Furst in which he orchestrated a volunteer assistant to read the mind of several spectators without ever saying a word to her or them.

The most real for the audience I have ever done is Contact Mind Reading where I am able to drop their hand and continue.

The most real for an audience of magicians is FalconEye

The most real for me has been HarpSway in which I control a multi-bob pendulum held by another person from a distance, i.e. no physical contact with anything or saying a word
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2015, insight wrote:
I am not surprised that many effects described here are propless. Great discussion!

- not long ago, a young woman got frightened (in a good way) when I told her where she had been on holidays. She wanted to stop thinking so I wouldn't read her. That kind of reaction is not rare. That was with a CT.
- Two days ago, I tested on magician friends a new method for my book test. The guy playing the part of the spectator got goose pimps! He told me it felt so real! (Yeah, I felt veeeery happy and proud Smile ). My book test is maybe the effect for which people who know me (i.i. don't believe I really can read minds) tell me the most it felt real! Obviously, my book test isn't "propless" Smile
- The effect I perform the most is maybe my own "direct read". It's two-phase: first I ask a woman to freely and secretly think of a card and then I proceed to read her and reveal the card, secondly I ask her companion to randomly pick a card and from his reactions I guess his card too. Since the first time I performed it, I myself have been surprised at how strong this simple piece hits! It's not rare people ask me for a seance after that (I decline). I do it with my Lynx Deck, that's not propless either.

I could go on like that for a while but it would look like I'm a boring show-off (I hope I'm not boring! Smile )

I don't believe looking real is a matter of visible props or not. Ever.

But I'm for real.
Maybe the solution to that whole prop thing is to be real too?

Smile
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » As close to real mind reading as you can get (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL