The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Chamberlain's Golden Touch Moisturizer? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Speaking of using Rosin
I purchased a small "Rosin Bag" at the Sport Equipment store.
It only cost $2 and it works AWESOME!
Just toss palm to palm once and them rub hands together
It doesn't leave hands "tacky" or sticky
But man, it gives that just amount friction to Classic Palm like a pro!
Try it.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
edshern
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of edshern
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2016, Stephon Johnson wrote:
Speaking of using Rosin
I purchased a small "Rosin Bag" at the Sport Equipment store.
It only cost $2 and it works AWESOME!
Just toss palm to palm once and them rub hands together
It doesn't leave hands "tacky" or sticky
But man, it gives that just amount friction to Classic Palm like a pro!
Try it.

An oldie but goodie resurrected with a new idea.
Thanks Stephon
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
The BEST combination I've been able to achieve is O'Keeffe's Working Hands following immediately with rosin bag. It gives me the perfect palming friction to be confident (I have dry hands btw). I'm looking to get some spray rosin used by musicians because sporting versions also have aluminum clorohydrate (antiperspirants) which I do NOT need something to dry my skin.Use Sparingly and work it in for several minutes before dusting with Rosin. Play around with the formula and you will know it is right. It isn't sticky and gives you great grip!

Thanks.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
bbeishline
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bbeishline
You can get Corn Huskers at Walmart, at least here in Utah. I don't remember the price but it's pretty cheap. I keep a bottle at work and one at home on the nightstand, and have a good 3 or 4 in the cabinet for when one of my others runs out.
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
For you old timers:
I noticed I have to add a moisturizer often.
When I was younger, it wasn't a problem but now I have to use it about every 2 hours.
Of course it depends on certain factors. Such as winter/summer, hydration, humidity, personal characteristics.

I tried Octopalm and it does work but you have to wait a while for the tackiness to go away as well as the odor
Pirouz
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Chamberlains work great with my hands.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
I started using Magician's Choice a couple of year ago. At first I applied a drop to one finger tip and then spread it around. This was way too much and it resulted in my going through a deck of cards in less than two weeks due to build up of material on the cards. They actually stuck together. Until they were basically ruined, however, it help immensely. I decided that if I could apply a very slight amount, less than a drop, then that might help cards last longer. I hit on the idea of using a small, snap lid pill box--found two to a package at my pharmacy-- with some absorbent, gauze pads--not the kind used for wound dressing, but the pads used for cleaning wounds or infections--cut into smaller pieces to fit into the pill box to contain the Magician's Choice. I add about 3-4 drops every couple of weeks and I rub my fingertips across the top surface of the gauze or actually remove one of the top pieces and use it as a towelette. I can carry the pill box in my pocket which I can't do with the bottle due to size and leakage, and just rubbing my fingers across the pads give me enough moisturizer to last two hours in a table hopping gig. As for coin work, I find that moisturizers of any kind do not help. The moisturizer seems to act as a lubricant making it more difficult to do any concealment which involves pressure as in a C.P. I used to use a material called Gorilla Snot which is for the purpose of helping guitarists retain their picks. It can be found in guitar and music stores, but it is actually an adhesive, so it's only good for learning a concealment. Once the basic move is learned you have to stop using it. It also leaves a residue on coins and other props. I've never thought about using bow rosin. I've got some and will give it a try today. Coins work has gotten more and more difficult as I've gotten older.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
I also found that too much moisturizer acts like a lubricant for coin work.
I have to add just enough to make sure my hands are not dry but not so much that the coins slide.
Pirouz
bbeishline
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bbeishline
I looked for Chamberlains last time I was at Walmart and didn't find it there. Any common places to find it without having to mail order?
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I have been using Papercreme Fingertip Moisturizer for years and it works very well for me. Not greasy, virtually no odor and gives just enough moisture without being slippery.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
This might be off-topic if you only want a moisturizer for coin work, but Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream, the unscented stuff, works great for card work. Like the old Brylcreem ads used to say, "A little dab'll do ya!" Just don't use Brylcreem as a moisturizer...
Powell
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Powell
I've tried almost all the things mentioned here, besides rosin (which I will try). So far Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Hand Cream has worked best for me. I do thousands of one-handed faros and multiplie coin-rolls a week, and it's been great. Non-greasy. lasts long , lasts through washings even. No residue on the coins or cards. Everyone is different, I know, but this stuff is inexpensive and worth a try.
"A card is not a brick."
- Dai Vernon
michaelpenkul
View Profile
New user
Toronto Canada
86 Posts

Profile of michaelpenkul
I'm a music teacher and am pretty familiar with using rosin for it's intended purpose on the violin bow. If anyone has an issue with using the rosin, it's common practice to break up the surface with something sharp, a key or knife, until it's rough and powdery; That will help a lot with the application.
Cirque_du_no_way
View Profile
New user
Sussex, UK
2 Posts

Profile of Cirque_du_no_way
I do a lot of aerial work (well pre covid and back when we could perform live 🙄) and I use liquid grip to maintain a solid hold in longer sets etc, I've just tried it with an ancient deck of cards and it doesn't seem to leave any residue and definitely makes things super grippy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Chamberlain's Golden Touch Moisturizer? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL