The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Hustling up a Cabaret Show (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Xelena
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Xelena
Are there any guidebooks out there regarding the pitching/costs/breakdowns/concerns regarding producing your own Cabaret Show?
Any "How to be a Producer" resources available online geared towards Mentalists.
I'm reading and rereading the final chapters of 13 Steps to Mentalism in preparation for going out to local businesses and hustling.
(Finally, I'm financially ready)
I'm curious as to what else is out there.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Are you looking to 4 wall?

Ray
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Check out the tricky business forum, lots of good info there.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Xelena
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Xelena
Magic Dimensions, I don't know wha thet you mean by 4 wall. If it's about the Fouth Wall in performance, part of my introductory patter is a bit about the 4th wall being down for Mentalists.
Thanks for pointing me towards Tricky Business, Alwow. I've got quite a bt of reading ahead of me.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Not an expert by any means, but this is how I got started. Basically “Four-Walling” has to do with the agreement you make with the venue owner. In this case, you are getting the “four walls” and nothing else. Set-up, sales, sound, seating, even advertising is completely up to you. I think I stumbled up on a niche, which is now becoming a little better known, but still shunned by many “in the business”. It worked to get me rolling, but may implode later on, unless you are (or have) a DYNAMITE promoter.

There IS a way to do this with no money up front (other than the cost of your act, equipment, etc.), just to get your feet wet, but I’m unwilling to post it on an open forum (I might want to come back to this some day! Smile )

BTW, Cabaret is my favorite way to perform. I generally set up the tables so that they completely surround me, with just an aisle for me to get in and out. Very personal, up-close, and about as intimate as you can get with a crowd.

So anyway, you can DO this, and I encourage you to spend some time thinking about it. Don’t ignore the nay-sayers, because they have a point. It’s a tricky thing. But totally do-able!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Great advice, but I must say you've piqued my curiosity as to your "way." The good thing about such an arrangement is it offers you control over many of the important elements, especially performance dynamics which can be the most important to an entertainer, yet completely missed and not understood by most venues.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Also you can get local businesses to buy advertisement space for a mention in a flyer/card/brochure. There are also other things that can be done to create other streams of money before and after your event.

Ray
Xelena
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Xelena
I've got a candidate!
A Bar and Grill (literally) that is just starting out in a renovated house Downtown.
And it has a spooky upstairs that is not utilized...
PERFECT FOR A SCEANCE SHOW!!!!
I left a business card after introducing myself to the owner's girlfriend/bartender and dong some tricks...(er I mean experiments)
Going to follow up this weekend.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

This is really cool. Don't forget to market other ideas that could be used there. Such as a mentalism or a bizarre show. Or what ever you like. Position yourself as the house entertainer. A steady gig that separates this bar and grill from the others by having you there.

Ray
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2015, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Also you can get local businesses to buy advertisement space for a mention in a flyer/card/brochure. There are also other things that can be done to create other streams of money before and after your event.

Ray

Ha. So some people are still doing "telephone" shows. Back int he 70's I worked for a promoter who had a boiler room operation. He would get a local fire department or other charity to supply the four walls and tell them he would supply a two hour magic show, no charge, and they could have the gate. And then his phone people would get to work, calling local businesses and getting them to advertise in the program, telling the businesses that the show is a fundraiser for the charity. Of course, the businesses din't understand that the ad revenue was NOT going to the charity.

The ad revenue went to the promoter and the promoter then paid the acts.

Everyone made money, no one got screwed and everyone walked away happy.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Al, yes, the old ways are still good...... Smile
I did exactly this method years ago when I first stared out. I didn't think people remembered this marketing method but you proved me wrong. Smile Hey, it was the thing to do back then.

Ray
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 30, 2015, Xelena wrote:
I've got a candidate!
A Bar and Grill (literally) that is just starting out in a renovated house Downtown.
And it has a spooky upstairs that is not utilized...
PERFECT FOR A SCEANCE SHOW!!!!
I left a business card after introducing myself to the owner's girlfriend/bartender and dong some tricks...(er I mean experiments)
Going to follow up this weekend.

So you do a seance act also?

Ray
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Al, yes, the old ways are still good...... Smile
I did exactly this method years ago when I first stared out. I didn't think people remembered this marketing method but you proved me wrong. Smile Hey, it was the thing to do back then.

Ray

If someone has the gumption, it's a thing to do again.

It's not illegal and everyone get's what they paid for (or didn't pay for).

Actually the recipient of the money gets more than they would normally if they were working on a percentage basis.

And this makes sure the charity has a buy-in on the project, since it's their job to sell tickets.

I never saw anything wrong with it then and I still see nothing wrong with it.

Heck, you can even explain to the advertisers what the arrangement is all about. Their contribution is still tax deductible, the promoter still has to pay taxes on profits and the entertainers are usually assured that they are getting paid.

The promoter I worked for had a set price he'd pay the acts and anything he made over his costs was his.

There are TONS of small towns and rural areas that would enjoy live entertainment, so the community gets something too.

Most of our shows were across North Texas, small towns, venues were usually a high school or community center.

I MC'ed the shows, doing a short turn between the acts.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On May 1, 2015, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2015, Magical Dimensions wrote:

Ray

Ha. So some people are still doing "telephone" shows. Back int he 70's I worked for a promoter who had a boiler room operation. He would get a local fire department or other charity to supply the four walls and tell them he would supply a two hour magic show, no charge, and they could have the gate. And then his phone people would get to work, calling local businesses and getting them to advertise in the program, telling the businesses that the show is a fundraiser for the charity. Of course, the businesses din't understand that the ad revenue was NOT going to the charity.

The ad revenue went to the promoter and the promoter then paid the acts.

Everyone made money, no one got screwed and everyone walked away happy.

I knew promoters that did this in Washington State .. However they even kept 85% of the gate and oversold the venue by an additional 100% since half the people who buy charity tickets don't show up.
The police department was 100% happy with the arrangement as they got thousands with no work.

BTW..We have a member here who has written such a book.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Xelena
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Xelena
Hi Ray!
Yes, I am working out a Seance Act.
Point taken.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
John Pyka... Contact him IMHO Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Xelena, This is John Pyka. Thanks for referring me, Slim!
I wrote an e-book called How To Produce Your Own Theater Show. I wrote it for people just like you, based on 20 years of experiences king a living producing my own shows.
It is available from www.lybrary.com or Amazon.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Xelena
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Xelena
John Pyka,
I just bought your book.
I've only had a chance to thumb through it so far, but it seems impressive.
It has a lot of the information I have been lacking thus far!oward to reading it!
Looking f
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Hustling up a Cabaret Show (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL