The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Stage perches/stands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard Moor
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Richard Moor
Hi this is my first time post so please bear with me (",)

Just wondering what display stands you dove workers use on stage to display your dove. I used to use, what seems to be the traditional vanish bird cage however would prefer to make some kind of stand or perch the doves fly onto.

I know Lance Burton uses a old style lampost which would be ideal for my act but obviously I don't want to copy Lance but hopefully want to create something novel and original but staying within the context of my stage character (black tux, frilled shirt etc). If any of you guys have any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
I think it would be fine if you wanted to use a lamp post like Lance Burton. As long as you aren't copying his actual dove act. Using similar equipment is okay.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tim Star used a number of rings welded together in a diamond shape. The doves purchased in different rings, like everyother one.

He made his and plated it Gold.

It depends on what craftsmanship you have available.

I disagree, you should not use a lamp post or the street sign Lance used in his acts. They are his.
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
Adrian Van VActor has a cool perch, Eric Buss uses coat hangers, Shimada used that big "Club" looking perch, and then you could do it like Gabriel does and hand them off to an assistant who takes them offstage. You'll find something that fits you, good luck!

sperris
DANSPERRY.COM
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I agree, find something that fits your character. Don't use a lamp post I think that't too close. From a personal experience, I did a routine using a lamp post (not a dove act) where I was in a park. The only reason I used one was to illustrate that I was in a park. If you are doing a "classic" dove act wearing a black tuxedo and what not why not go with just a cage. After all isn’t that where birds are kept after you produce them. Other props fit other people, but that’s just their character. I don't think there is anything wrong with just using a normal cage. Don't worry about the small stuff. Where you place the birds isn't a big deal. Just the fact you made them appear is amazing. At least that's what I think. You could even use a prop to vanish them like a Doves to Rabbit, Vanishing Dove Cage, etc. Just my thoughts.
Zaubern Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Okay, here is my idea that I never used but I will share with you.

1st - Make an 8' oriental fan to open, place holes in it at places you want the doves to set.

2nd - use a rose bush trellis that spreads out, fill with folage, make so you can transport in sections. The doves set in between the folage green leaves. If you want you can make flowers out of silks and do a rose to silk for each production. Put a half couldren from a garden shop as your place the bush is growing out of and to dump your silks and equipment.

Enjoy!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I use a coat hanger stand. Just decorate it to suit your style. Add more perches as needed. You can also hang additional props or bags in it.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Im working on a new routine, and my stand is a 7' hollow telephone pole. I place my doves on the 'spikes' that a telephone lineman would climb up the pole on.

I posted this just to show you, like the other posters to find something that fits your style and routine. Anything will work as long as it 'fits'.

Just depends on what your after, don't be afraid of limitations. Conquer them, and your ahead of the game.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Something I never see and wonder why is the use of bamboo torches and Tiki lights as perches. If people ever look at the feet on my curtains, they would realize that several years ago I switched from tripod stands (actually Eureka table stands) to a wrought iron tiki light stands for bases. (I only did that because they worked better, faster and cheaper than the chrome stands.)

I have no use in my routine for the lights but they are appealing. If you have ever worked out doors in the South Pacific, there are plenty of wild doves in that natural setting. It is not fake at all. It would fit a tropical show well.

Scheme!

Bob
Magic By Sander
The Amazed Wiz
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
R2
View Profile
Special user
935 Posts

Profile of R2
I personally use a chandelier with ledges and place small treats on them to encourage the doves to stay put.

The chandelier is suspended from a cable which mounts on my trussing and isn't distracting to the other sequences in my sets.~r2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Stage perches/stands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL