The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Longest first (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
My first routine (after the warm-up) is the longest. My theory behind this is that the kids have more patience in the beginning. My last routine, rabbit in hat, is a little bit shorter but still somewhat stronger. Do you care about the length of the routines when you put your show together, if so - how do you think about it?

HÃ¥kan
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I like to mix long and short. One of my longest is the talking dog, and that ends. But I precede that with a very short routine. I often begin with a long routine, but not always.

Actually, my show can vary a lot, depending on my mood!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I try to alternate between penatrations-transformations
liquid-rope-silk ect...My show usally has a wide varity of magic.
Todd
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I agree with you Hakan, but maybe not for the same reason. Kids do have more patience at the beginning of a show, and toward the end I'm usually ready to ditch a routine if they start getting anxious. But my reasoning is this: The longer routine is due to the fact that you want to establish your character, let them know who you are, and introduce the use of the "magic word" or any other bits you want to teach. I do Silly Billy's stoplight trick (the crystal tube), which gives the kids a great chance to react with you, shows them that they can shout and be loud, shows them that you make mistakes, and uses the magic word. In addition, it's a great effect that even fools the adults.

Jim
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Hawkan, If your first routine is the longest then the adults and kids with short attention spans will assume the entire show is like this and some may want to leave the room.

Most performers do a few eye-catching effects at the beginning (and throughout) to keep the attention of children.

You should video your program many times and change the order ONLY THEN you can see what order to put things - based on audience reaction.

(Note to Jim: You don't need to do a long routine to establish a character. Too establish a character you need to create an image and relate emotionally.)
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Hawkan, If your first routine is the longest then the adults and kids with short attention spans will assume the entire show is like this and some may want to leave the room.

Most performers do a few eye-catching effects at the beginning (and throughout) to keep the attention of children.

You should video your program many times and change the order ONLY THEN you can see what order to put things - based on audience reaction.

(Note to Jim: You don't need to do a long routine to establish a character. Too establish a character you need to create an image and relate emotionally. As an example, If I jumped through the curtains, smashed something on the ground and started throwing knives at the audience, my charictor is created in just seconds. Yes, everyone will be running for the door but I created a charictor without taking a lot of time.)
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I believe the first effect should be a strong one.
It dictates to the audience about your character
and your skill.They will pay closer attention and
not want to miss anything.
Todd
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
My first routine is planned to get the kids attention and reacting; the length is changed depending on the kids.

https://youtu.be/1cgmoT7gRwc
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
JIm: I´m with you. My warm-up is 9 minutes and includes everything to establish my character, set some rules and getting the interaction going. After that, my first - and longest - routine comes.

Jay: I have only filmed the show once, and it was a great help (even though at first it was embarassing to se myself) and I have since that made modifications, and will keep on doing so.

You who change things during the show...you´re far ahead of me.

HÃ¥kan
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
And here it is, the warmup/intro + the first couple of minutes of my first routine which is Comeback Bee. Be gentle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzPRlzO5iYI

HÃ¥kan
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Although I struggled to understand some of the Swedish (not speaking a word of that language) I really enjoyed that. I like your approach, your appearance, and the fact that you did very little, allowing your personality to do the work. Quality stuff there. Well done.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Thank you very much, Tony. I' m afraid to say it goes downhill later on, with the Coloring Book. Smile

HÃ¥kan
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
The length of the routine is a factor, but if the routine has a lot of stuff going on, gags, add-on tricks, slapstck, whatever, then if you perform it well, the lenghth doesn't matter so much. If it's kind of long with a lot of twists and turns, then they may forget what the final trick is supposed to accomplish by the time you get to it - so a quick reminder may be needed. I start the show with a quick gag/warmup kind of thing before I get into my opening routine, and that works well. I try to goof around with them and get them laughing before the show even starts, then they are ready for the ride.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Dan, I agree. At first I had three routines in a 45 min. show. Lots of byplay. But I wanted to somehow break the rythm and have a couple of shorter routines as well, to make it more... unpredictable and therefore interesting. I am still trying things out.

HÃ¥kan
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2015, Hawkan wrote:
Dan, I agree. At first I had three routines in a 45 min. show. Lots of byplay. But I wanted to somehow break the rythm and have a couple of shorter routines as well, to make it more... unpredictable and therefore interesting. I am still trying things out.

HÃ¥kan

Hawkan where did you found those snakes?
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
I think I got them from David Ginn, but I'm not 100 % sure.

HÃ¥kan
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
I do around 4-5 quick things that last 2-3 minutes each to start. It gets them adjusted to the show, and they are not point and scream effects. I treat those as a "warm", because I present them in a quick way that I want to show them all something. After those, I actually ask the kids if they are ready to start the show. Some will ask what the heck am I talking about, but most get in a different mood sort of like a school assembly, where they get comfortable with direction and to enjoy the show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Longest first (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL