The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Egg fountain, anyone? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Anyone?

HÃ¥kan
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
?????????????
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
I´ve seen card fountains. But I would like an egg fountain. Dick, you have seen everything in this business - any sight of such a thing?

HÃ¥kan
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I have seen a routine where a magician continually produced eggs (either from a top hat or a handkerchief) one at a time, and gave them to a child to hold. As the number of eggs built up and up, some slipped out of the child's hands and onto the floor and broke (of course, the magician put some newspaper down first for the child to stand on). It was funny watching the overwhelming number of eggs!

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Right Donald!

Howard Thurston would invite a boy onstage, produce eggs from a hat, and pile them up, until they began to fall to the floor. It was hilarious! (At least, that's what I've heard--I wasn't there! (Note: Thurston never showed the hat empty. He merely showed the boy a hat (held crown downward) and said, "Look in my hat." Then he started "producing" eggs from his hat.....

Lance Burton has revived the bit, and, it still "plays" today.

Hawkan! Well, I'm fortunate to have seen a lot, (Here comes the "but" (!!!) But, definitely, not everything (yet!)

The funniest CARD fountain, IMO, was Billy McComb's "rising card". Billy had a card selected, shuffled into the pack, etc. Then, he placed the pack into a small basket on a prop table. Inside the basket was an electric card fountain prop. Billy would say, "Your card will rise from the pack into the air!" Then, Billy would "push the button", and the entire deck waS propelled into the air!. After the laugh, Billy would ask, "Did you see it?"

An egg fountain? Sorry, Hawkan! (I wouldn't want to be the stage hand that had to clean up after!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
There was a Victoria, BC, Canada magician by the name of Ernie Crockford who used to perform the egg routine I mentioned (that's where I saw it). He's passed away now. Our local IBM Ring is named in his honour.

I'm guessing that I saw his performance between the time of Howard Thurston and Lance Burton. Smile

- Donald

P.S. Chance Wolf's "Crazy Coop" magic trick throws out a couple of plastic eggs, as part of a larger routine: http://www.surfsharks.com/SURF_SHARKS/Crazy_Coop.html
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
I´m reworking my rabbit in hat routine. It´s gonna be a hen in hat routine. I tell the children that I am going to end the show making a rabbit appear in my hat. At first, I seem to have succeeded in doing so, but it is only a disguised hen. Which explains where all the eggs have been coming from during the show. I was just brainstorming on a great ending when I came to think of the card fountain mentioned earlier in my thread about rabbit in the hat. Maybe it is a bit far out.

HÃ¥kan
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I used to perform my version of the multiplying egg bit. I had 3 kids on stage oldest first then younger then youngest. usually 6-10 years old kids.

then I would produce the eggs from my assistants mouth and hand them to the first kid who in turn passed them to the next kid to the last kid who held them
after 12 eggs and one or two would fall already lots of laughs I would have the kids dump the eggs into a bucket and then have all three kids wave wands and do the chicken dance around the bucket with me and my assistant then I would take the bucket and dump it out and there were 12 REAL LIVE BABY CHICKS. they went nuts.

i sort of retired the routine after a few years of performing it but tempted to bring it back. it really was fun and then when all those baby chicks they loved it.

i jokingly would say to the kids pick a chick to take home. but never let them really take them home.

ah the memories.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
That routine is the invention of Devant from the famed London Egyptian Theater. When Devant was asked to perform one illusion for Queen Victoria in a command performance, that's the one he did. He had a theater full of illusions but that's the one he did.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
PS: Sam, what did you do with the chicks?
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On May 4, 2015, JamesinLA wrote:
PS: Sam, what did you do with the chicks?

Everyone had pullets for dinner that evening...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Yuck.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
JamesinLA good question

i had a friend that has a farm near by and he would raise them and eat them! no joke!

for about a year or so I would go thru a dozen or more baby chicks a month.

the multiplying egg trick was only done once or twice a month. but I used a baby chick for another trick that I did.

the issue is that the chicks would be too big after 3 days of hatching.

i might just start using the baby chicks again. not the dozen chicks but maybe for my other routine. hmmm.
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Egg fountain, anyone? (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL