The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hotshot Cut... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Captain Merkle
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
23 Posts

Profile of Captain Merkle
Greetings, fellows....

I need to know of a good resource to learn the Hotshot Cut; I don't even know where to begin. Perhaps in a DVD with other sleights in it...it would be most helpful.

Thanks

-Capt. Merkle Smile
Life is but a dream...
Liams-Heart
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Liams-Heart
I'm currently learning it from the Born to Perform DVD. You can get it at Penguin Magic.
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
You can learn it from Daryl from his EOCS volume 8, learn it from Oz from BTP, Jay Sankey "Very Best Of Jay Sankey Volume 1", you can learn it from Dante king and from many books.
Tony Ley
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FLorida
46 Posts

Profile of Tony Ley
Capt. Merkle -
A couple of other resources for the Hotshot Cut:
Check a good demonstration on the old Steven's Magic Emporium video simply called the Magic of Daryl Martinez where it's actually part of an effect called Snowshoe Seconds.
Or, and in my opinion, the best way to give the same impression with half of the work, is to check out Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment books (book #3). Paul (always on the lookout for delivering 'wow' at discount prices) published Daryl's Hotshot Cut Simplified.
Hope these help.
Tony Ley
Captain Merkle
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
23 Posts

Profile of Captain Merkle
Hey, thanks chummers...

Liams, is that a pretty good DVD? I'm a bit skeptical of Penguin Magic...is my skepticism unfounded?

DBZKid, I'm going through Daryl's EOCS videos right now, but I like to practice practice practice with every sleight. I'm only on volume one... There's no way I can skip to a higher DVD...or does it not build upon the previous DVD? Does it simply teach you different, more advanced sleights?

Tony, what is this elusive Steven's Magic Emporium that you speak of? It sounds most enticing...Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment series, huh? I'll check it out; thanks, chum.

Thanks for all the advice..

-Capt. Merkle Smile
Life is but a dream...
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
If you want to learn the cut so badly, you can skip from 1 to 8 just to learn that cut.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Ahoy Captain,
IMHO, Penguin rocks! They have never dealt me wrong. Also, you're on the right path with learning and practicing your moves and getting them down smooth before jumping ahead. That's an extremely healthy way to do it. However, sometimes a bug bites you to learn something and you just gotta go learn it. But try not to make a habit of it!
Good Luck!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Hey Captain,
Check out http://www.VictoryMagic.com Here you will find a video not only on the Hot Shot Cut but many many other card flourishes as well. The video is geared to "Card Flourishes".. You will learn the one handed riffle shuffle as well. BE PREPARED TO PRACTICE... Don't get discouraged, if you are persistent,and never give up, you will learn.

I have never had any problems with Penguin Magic, they are a great dealer.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
rvigon
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
266 Posts

Profile of rvigon
Penguin rock
"No brilliance is required in magic, just determination and relatively clean fingernails."
Liams-Heart
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Liams-Heart
Quote:
On 2004-02-13 00:58, Captain Merkle wrote:
Hey, thanks chummers...

Liams, is that a pretty good DVD? I'm a bit skeptical of Penguin Magic...is my skepticism unfounded?

I've ordered from about 7-8 different online sites and found Penguin to be the best. They have consistently have the best prices (and offer a price match), have free shipping, and ship next day or it's free. The only drawback I've seen is that they may not carry quite as many items as some sites.

As far as the Born to Perform DVD, I think it's great for beginners. Teaches basic handling and sleights, 4 strong tricks, and some flourishes.
Showmethatagain
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Showmethatagain
I’ve got born to perform and after like a month of trying I still haven't got the hot shot cut down! After my hand cramps up I know it's probably time to stop!
riberts
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK
52 Posts

Profile of riberts
Quote:
On 2004-02-12 22:27, Tony Ley wrote:
Capt. Merkle ...
.... Or, and in my opinion, the best way to give the same impression with half of the work, is to check out Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment books (book #3). Paul (always on the lookout for delivering 'wow' at discount prices) published Daryl's Hotshot Cut Simplified.
Hope these help.
Tony Ley

I too picked up Paul Harris's simplified working of this from his AOA book3. Not sure if it's Paul's description or my stupidity, but I personally didn't find the explanation the easiest to follow. (Only a minor comment on what is otherwise an excellent magic series).

If this is the simplified version I would have had no chance on Daryl's original handling!! I wonder whether one of the numerous DVD's available would be better to clearly follow the handling for this?? My opinion only!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hotshot Cut... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL