The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Old coin look (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I recently purchased 10 1922 and 1923 "Peace Silver Dollars". They are really beautiful coins! However, I noticed that a few of them seem a bit tarnished, which makes them look older, and frankly, even more beautiful as every little detail stands out. For example, on the standing eagle on the back, you can see the detail of the feathers! And, on the front, you can see the detail of the beautiful hair for Lady Liberty. Such beautiful coins!

By the way, I also just received a Johnson Peace Silver Dollar x-shell. What an excellent piece! Really well made and so beautiful.

This is a bit odd, but I was wondering how I might get the coins to have that tarnished look without damaging the coins.

Thanks in advance,

KJ
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Lots of previous discussion on this topic.
See: https://www.google.com/#q=site:www.thema......er+coins

The short answer is liver of sulphur.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Inigmntoya,

Thanks. I see on many café threads they are talking about using bleach, not liver of sulphur. Your thoughts?

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
After reading many posts in many threads, I think I am going to start with egg yolks which contain sulphur which are supposed to darken the coin overnight.

KJ
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On May 28, 2015, 1KJ wrote:
Inigmntoya,

Thanks. I see on many café threads they are talking about using bleach, not liver of sulphur. Your thoughts?

KJ

Liver of sulphur is what jewelers use, which is why it was my short answer for doing it right. Other options may work with varying results in terms of tone/color achieved and/or how well it lasts. Good luck with the eggs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Old coin look (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL