The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » James Conti Reviews - Reduction by Nicholas Lawrence and SansMinds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Reduction is a visual diminishing deck effect from Nicholas Lawrence and SansMinds - boasting no gimmicks required. Visual yes, clever yes, no gimmicks - not so much.

The method for Reduction doesn't require any gimmick cards or gaffs, but it does require a set up stack of cards. This stack is set up ahead of time and cannot be used for other effects. Nicholas teaches how to set up the stack, then he applies a certain object to the cards to keep it all together, however I felt this was unnecessary as it doesn't change how the cards sit much in my experience.

The nice thing is that after the "reduction", you can do one little move and the cards are then completely examinable (however destroying your set up in doing so). The method is reliable, just takes a little time to set up at first. It is however, very deceptive and the actual diminish looks great!

The DVD isn't too long, Nicholas Lawrence teaches the effect, with a few variations too. He teaches a version on the table, in the hands, and also making the card box flip over while the cards diminish. The card box flip, I felt, was rather overkill, especially as the method is too much set up and it will also take away from the actual effect of the deck diminishing.The production quality, as usual with SansMinds is top notch, with no issues to mention. Nicholas is a great teacher and covers all the tips and nuances necessary to perform Reduction.

For $20, I think this is a great concept that you can play around with. It looks great, is visual and hard hitting. Whether or not you use it in the real world, that's up to you. But it's a pretty cool idea to play with and if you are looking for a diminishing deck effect that doesn't use a fragile gimmicked card (if you know what I'm referring to) then this is a great thing to pick up. I honestly won't use this, but I think it's pretty cool. 7/10
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
Thanks for taking the time to review this. How much is it angle sensitive? sitting at a round table with 12 people around, are the sides exposed to the people sitting to the magician's left and right?
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2015, StarManager wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to review this. How much is it angle sensitive? sitting at a round table with 12 people around, are the sides exposed to the people sitting to the magician's left and right?

Thank you! I don't think that will be a very good angle at all. Way too exposed. It's best for 3-4 people standing up, looking over the deck. I know that's vague but I can't give away why it's like this. Hope this helps you.
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
Chad Gill
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Chad Gill
Hi James

is the set up hard to do and how much time did you take?
selectedmagic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of selectedmagic
The set up is actually very simple. you can get it done in 5 mins.

But once you do the clean up, you have to re set up again

Quote:
On Dec 18, 2015, Chad Gill wrote:
Hi James

Chad Gill
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Chad Gill
Thanks for the info!

it is $20 bucks + free shipping from penguin magic.

Is it worth it?

Quote:
On Dec 19, 2015, selectedmagic wrote:
The set up is actually very simple. you can get it done in 5 mins.

But once you do the clean up, you have to re set up again

Quote:
On Dec 18, 2015, Chad Gill wrote:
Hi James

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » James Conti Reviews - Reduction by Nicholas Lawrence and SansMinds (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL