The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic for grandparents class (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
OK. Teaching the class is a struggle. There are some sharp people and some who seem to have early stage dementia. Today we were working on making a trick to disappear a coin. They actually made the easy gimmick, with difficulty in some cases. Yet at the end, after I had demonstrated the trick about 10 times, some said "Where did the coin go?!" Last week, a very good, patient local magician came and taught the simplest of rope tricks. Half of them never got it.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Thanks for the update. After the first class or two you will refine it and get it right, don't worry!
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Gomerel;

I teach a magic class in my show to kids; the tricks are easy, in fact that's how I got my "stage name'.

"I show the tricks to the kids and I teach them Howie Diddit"

if you are conducting the class to grandparents so the grandparents can perform tricks to their grandkids, teach them the simple tricks that are already public and published.

I wouldn't teach the grandparents card, or rope tricks because of the reason you mentioned in your post, kids don't understand card tricks and many rope and coin tricks are difficult to perform.

Go to the library children's section and pick out children's magic books and teach the tricks from that book to the grandparents to perform for their grandchildren; this will not get you into trouble with the IBM, or SAM.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Thanks for the suggestions. Petty much what I have been doing. We took a field trip to our local brick and mortar shop, Grand Illusions. That went very well. Mind you, some students are really getting into magic and doing well. One resource I like is Julian's Magician School.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Next you can get them going as a SAM, OR an IBM chapter.

They can read the articles Smile and buy the tricks from the magazine Smile and get together every month and practice Smile

They can name the chapter after you! Smile
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
"OK. Teaching the class is a struggle. There are some sharp people and some who seem to have early stage dementia. Today we were working on making a trick to disappear a coin. They actually made the easy gimmick, with difficulty in some cases. Yet at the end, after I had demonstrated the trick about 10 times, some said "Where did the coin go?!" Last week, a very good, patient local magician came and taught the simplest of rope tricks. Half of them never got it."

Hang in there, G-Man. This is an issue that I run into, as well. I focus on those who understand and get it while giving attention to those who simply can't understand. Everyone enjoys the attention and activity - whether they master the effect or not. Meanwhile, those who do master the routines will go on to share them with their families and that brightens their day.

Julian's Magic School is an exceptional resource. You might also take a peek at Penguin Magic's Tarbell Video Series. Keep us posted on your progress.

Let me know if you would like to write your experiences and lessons-learned into a Linking Ring article. There may be others out there who could benefit from your experiment.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Having worked with seniors of varying level of ability, my recommendation is to look for effects that work mostly with gross motor skills rather than fine coordination. You'll need to adapt, of course based on varied mobility.

Keep it simple.

I know "pick a card" bores you (it bores me, too), but I find a certain basic beginner's card trick that involves cutting the deck (you know the one) and possibly a simple overhand shuffle to be easy to teach and perform and is often a good starting point.

Also, the basic beginner's cups and balls (the one with no sleights) to be a good follow up.

For those with at least average motor control and strength, cut and restored rope is a popular item.

And for those with a bit more than that, the shell game.

I wouldn't recommend doing much more than that (it can get boring fast if they're not very much into magic) and if they ask you to do more, come up with another five effects.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, Skip Way wrote:

Hang in there, G-Man. This is an issue that I run into, as well. I focus on those who understand and get it while giving attention to those who simply can't understand. Everyone enjoys the attention and activity - whether they master the effect or not. Meanwhile, those who do master the routines will go on to share them with their families and that brightens their day.

Julian's Magic School is an exceptional resource. You might also take a peek at Penguin Magic's Tarbell Video Series. Keep us posted on your progress.

Let me know if you would like to write your experiences and lessons-learned into a Linking Ring article. There may be others out there who could benefit from your experiment.

Skip

Thanks. I draw on Julian a lot.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, Rook wrote:
Having worked with seniors of varying level of ability, my recommendation is to look for effects that work mostly with gross motor skills rather than fine coordination. You'll need to adapt, of course based on varied mobility.

Keep it simple.

I know "pick a card" bores you (it bores me, too), but I find a certain basic beginner's card trick that involves cutting the deck (you know the one) and possibly a simple overhand shuffle to be easy to teach and perform and is often a good starting point.

Also, the basic beginner's cups and balls (the one with no sleights) to be a good follow up.

For those with at least average motor control and strength, cut and restored rope is a popular item.

I wouldn't recommend doing much more than that (it can get boring fast if they're not very much into magic) and if they ask you to do more, come up with another five effects.

Thanks. I am avoiding pick a card because I think it bores kids. (Not, obviously, preteens, who will do it for hours.)

The students are higher functioning than I may have implied in my rant. There average age is probably about the same as the local SAM and IBM clubs.

I think the sort of tricks Julian Mather teaches in his magician school are perfect. We learned several today and the students loved them. Rubber bands, paper clips, etc.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, Rook wrote:
Having worked with seniors of varying level of ability, my recommendation is to look for effects that work mostly with gross motor skills rather than fine

five effects.

I would stay away from the three shell game for two reasons; the first is as you posted, the gross motor skills rather than fine, remember moving the shells and grabbing the pees will be a challenge and I think for beginners the three shell game is TMI and can be detrimental to his health; I can envision Grampa seeing a three shell con game on the street corner and yelling out " HEY EVERYBODY, DON'T PLAY IT, I KNOW HOW HE DOES THAT AND YOU CAN'T WIN"
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2015, Howie Diddot wrote:

I would stay away from the three shell game for two reasons; the first is as you posted, the gross motor skills rather than fine,

Yes, it does require better fine motor skills than the other effects, which is why I recommended it for those who have better motor control than their peers.

Quote:
I can envision Grampa seeing a three shell con game on the street corner and yelling out " HEY EVERYBODY, DON'T PLAY IT, I KNOW HOW HE DOES THAT AND YOU CAN'T WIN"

While you're likely right, that's an image that's going to stick with me for a while!
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Typically I would frown on this sort of thing as it sends such a horrible horrible message about magic.
Kinda reminds me of the "no skill required" phrase we have to put up with.
However, if you're part of a group .......... I understand and forgive the rest of this post...

I would suggest teaching "one-in-the-hand-two-in-the-pocket" as it has years of magic theory all packed into that one simple trick.

Why are you asking in this "kids" forum, though?

If you're asking in this forum because they are wanting this to be able to perform for their grandkids... I kinda go back to my first
thought on this sort of thing.....

A "one hour class on how to be a magician" sends the wrong message.
Is anyone giving a one hour class on how to be a concert pianist for those that can't read music?
Is anyone giving a one hour seminar on how to be a blues sax player looking for a gig.. no experience necessary?
I doubt it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2015, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:

I would suggest teaching "one-in-the-hand-two-in-the-pocket" as it has years of magic theory all packed into that one simple trick.

Why are you asking in this "kids" forum, though?

If you're asking in this forum because they are wanting this to be able to perform for their grandkids... I kinda go back to my first thought on this sort of thing.....

A "one hour class on how to be a magician" sends the wrong message.
Is anyone giving a one hour class on how to be a concert pianist for those that can't read music?
Is anyone giving a one hour seminar on how to be a blues sax player looking for a gig.. no experience necessary?
I doubt it.

Yes, I am asking here because they are looking to perform for their grandkids.

It is 1.5 hr/wk for 13 weeks.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Wow. that's a long class.

given that, I suggest

"one in the hand...."
"sponge ball routine"
"professor's nightmare"
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
An easy but impressing routine, yet not too demanding motor skills-wise would be The Great Coat Escape or similar.

HÃ¥kan
Smile
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Nov 17, 2015, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
Wow. that's a long class.

given that, I suggest

"one in the hand...."
"sponge ball routine"
"professor's nightmare"

Thanks. Yes, we have done those. Went fairly well.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Vanishing quarter using a gimmicked hanky where the audience member can feel the quarter.
If you so desired, you could produce it in a bunny box (the little white one).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Magic for grandparents class (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL