The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movies that don't end (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Something that annoys me is sitting through a movie until the end, and finding that it does not end! I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a movie, even if it's part of a series, to be a full story in itself. It's happening a lot more lately than ever before

An early example is "Back to the Future II". I watched the second "Hunger Games" and felt I wasted 2 hours when it just ended without and end. "The Hobbit" pulled the same thing. None of the "Star Wars" movies stand alone very well except the first one (which somehow became the fourth one). Often times the first movie is fine (as was the case with BTTF and Hunger Games) but the subsequent films are merely transitions.

Am I the only that feels cheated by this? What other movies do you have you seen that had no ending?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've seen many that seemed like they'd never end.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Magic has an end but no explanation, just a dilemma. Some like that sort of thing.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Are you saying that you honestly didn't know that "The Hobbit' consisted of three parts? That was pretty common knowledge even before it came out. I can't see why you'd think anyone "pulled" anything.

Did you know that "The Lord of the Rings" was also in three parts, just like the books?"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I can kinda see your point if you're talking about a movie with no planned sequels and the story leaves you hanging. If it's part of a series of movies, I think they call those cliff hangers. It's kinda nice if each movie can still have a beginning, middle, and end to a central story within the movie but you have to expect that parts of the story are to be continued.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I think Hitchcock "The Birds" is a good example of this. There is no real ending. We never find out if the birds kept attacking, what caused it, or if humans figured out how to deal with the issue. and yes, I felt cheated by the ending.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1407 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Critics and many movie goers loved Malik's "Tree of Life"; but not me. I felt bad about not walking out on it. I remember saying to myself after this big bang scene, "please, I don't want to see dinosaurs". And when they appeared, I knew this movie would be endless. Of course, "endless" is perhaps a little different than having no ending. My wife has a good way of judging 'endless'... it's when she falls asleep halfway through the movie! Me, I just torture myself. Lynn
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Are you saying that you honestly didn't know that "The Hobbit' consisted of three parts?

Why do you always try to start something with snarky remarks like that? The way you act pretty much defines cyber-bullying.

First off, no, I did not know it was part of a trilogy; and I never mentioned Lord of the Rings, but apparently you figured you could get a dig in at me by implying I am stupid and you are oh-so-intelligent. If I admit you're way, way smarter than me will you keep those snide comments to yourself?

But regardless (as I already said if you'd bother to read), I think a movie should stand on its own even if it is part of a series.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Starrpower, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I don't like movies and try to avoid them, but the kids wanted to see The Hobbit. As I love the book I took them. We were all disappointed in the ending. It would have been fine if part two was out a week later, as in a TV series, but it wasn't. We had to wait a year. We didn't bother; we just gave the whole thing a skip.

As an avid reader I knew The Hobbit was being filmed in three parts. But I assumed that they would make each part stand on its own merit, as well as being part of a whole. They didn't, and I felt cheated.

The solution though is simple. Don't bother with movies and switch to books. That has worked for me.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Not a bad solution.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Spoiler Alert: Do not read on if you haven't seen Gone Girl.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
End? No end? More to come? Someone really dies in the sequel?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
The movie Whiplash was so tremendously flawed that I couldn't wait for it to end. Wanted to walk out but because of companion, had to be polite.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
The movie Whiplash was so tremendously flawed that I couldn't wait for it to end. Wanted to walk out but because of companion, had to be polite.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I loved Whiplash but then, I'm not a musician. I found it very thought provoking. What did you dislike about it so much Arthur?
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Almost everything musically speaking was incorrect. Plus it had excessive gratuitous cursing.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
I don't like the lord of the rings series because of this. Star Wars I do like in spite of this, but I'm not sure why.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I've seen one of The Hunger Games movies - not sure which but the one I saw had an ending - it ended when I fell asleep.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I thought the first Hunger Games had an ending. I watched the second one and was shocked when the credits started rolling since absolutely NOTHING happened during the film. Falling asleep might be another great solution to these films.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movies that don't end (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL