The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Confab question (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mmmario
View Profile
Regular user
perth/shanghai
140 Posts

Profile of mmmario
Greetings from planet Perth all.
I hope this is the right place to post this.
A few years ago, I read about a message in a bottle/shipwreck type confabulation effect where the bottle is inside a Manila envelope hanging somewhere until the reveal of the three bits of info.
I know I still have the book somewhere but I cannot remember which book, author or even the name of the effect. I have many many books. Wherefore art thou, Memory?
I hope that's enough info but not too much.
I hope you can help.

Thank you
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
The idea of loading a rolled up prediction/bill into a bottle that's in an envelope hanging in full view is by Arthur Setterington (the same guy who invented the rubber band trick that Michael Ammar popularised as Crazy Man's Handcuffs). Paul Hallas used it for a Confabulation routine with a "stranded on a desert island" theme, so that may be what you are thinking of. It's the first item in his book Mindful Mentalism (volume 1).
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Maurice Fogel did something like this.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Gilligan something.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
In addition Caliban's info....

Gilligan's Prediction is a marketed product using a small bottle and the shipwreck theme:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6309

Maurice Fogel came up with a bottle idea using a very clever load that I shall not describe any further (given the open forum).

Fogel's idea was then marketed with props by Tom Yurasits (I've forgotten the name under which it was sold).

e
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Eric-

I believe Fogel's was simply marketed with the (unnecessary) prop as "Fogel's Headline Prediction." Seems to me his method would actually be the best for a confab routine using a bottle- no need to have it inside of an envelope, which strikes me as a bit odd.
mmmario
View Profile
Regular user
perth/shanghai
140 Posts

Profile of mmmario
Thank you, Caliban!
Thank you, all.
Paul Hallas was who I was looking for. Yaaaaaay, verily!
The Magic Café rocks!

And my thoughts exactly, Bob, you mind reader you. Love the bottle.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Fogel's "Bottle Headline Prediction" is discussed in great detail in the Fogel book by Chris Woodward and Richard Mark. According to the book, Fogel himself never used the "unnecessary prop" that Bob refers to.

Barry
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It's actually a disadvantage to use the prop, because you can't leave it laying around afterwards. I think the only reason the prop was included was because the maker felt that it would sell better and they could charge more for it.
morgaine_le_fey
View Profile
Veteran user
Montreal, Canada
391 Posts

Profile of morgaine_le_fey
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2015, mmmario wrote:
Yaaaaaay, verily!

The first Court Jester quote that's not 'the vessel with the pestle'! Smile
Guess Penny CAN be saved!
Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

A Jester unemployed is nobody's fool.
morgaine_le_fey
View Profile
Veteran user
Montreal, Canada
391 Posts

Profile of morgaine_le_fey
Get it?
Got it!
Good!

Classic stuff!
Cheers Bob and Mario!
$ Smile
mmmario
View Profile
Regular user
perth/shanghai
140 Posts

Profile of mmmario
Got it.
Loved it.
Thanks Morgaine
mmmario
View Profile
Regular user
perth/shanghai
140 Posts

Profile of mmmario
Does the Fogel version require smashing the bottle?

The one aspect I loved about the Hallas version compared to others was it uses a coke bottle with a screw cap.
You unscrew the cap and hand it to the volunteer for the removing of the roll of paper.
In my opinion, it would play better
Maybe it doesn't.
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
The original Fogel version was designed as a Headlines Prediction, where a sealed bottle that was handed over several days earlier is smashed open on the night. The bottle does have to be broken to get the message out.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have a few Fogel effects that I bought from the Supreme magic co. Bideford Devon in the early 70s, must see if I can find them again, lost a lot of things when I moved to Spain :-(
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Smashing the bottle is what makes the Fogel effect dramatic and sensational. It really elevates the prediction to brain buster status.

If you were putting a message in a bottle to toss into the ocean, would you use a plastic Coke bottle with a screw on cap or a substantial glass bottle that is securely plugged and sealed?

As I said, Fogel's method isn't limited to headline predictions and is particularly useful for the Confabulation approach being discussed here.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Re: "If you were putting a message in a bottle to toss into the ocean, would you use a plastic Coke bottle with a screw on cap or a substantial glass bottle that is securely plugged and sealed? "

I guess if I was stranded on a desert island, Bob, I'd use whatever the hell I could find, and a plastic bottle washing up might be more predictable these days Smile

I agree though, smashing a glass bottle (or anything for that matter) is more dramatic and sensational. I'd been told years ago Fogel never used the special something supplied, that was probably an Edwin Hooper idea.

The bottle in envelope idea of Arthur's I adapted to a prediction rather than a borrowed bill to bottle. When I first read Arthur's routine of a bill in bottle I immediately thought of a shipwreck survivor message in a bottle, it seemed logical. The bottle itself is not mentioned until after the selections have been made and shipwreck theme mentioned, then attention is drawn to the envelope from which the bottle is withdrawn. Instead of the stand and envelope one could simply reach behind a table or into your case and bring the bottle into view, but the stand gives the impression everything was in view from the beginning (even though the bottle is in the envelope). It was simply a lighthearted but hopefully baffling presentation around a shipwreck theme. For sensationalism, you can't top Fogel. If I recall correctly, the same methodology Fogel used for the bottle has also been used with a balloon.

Personally I've never fancied breaking glass at every performance, with my luck I'd probably severe an artery and bleed to death. Of course, that's why you'll not see me topping a bill anytime soon. Fogel once continued performing in Leeds after he'd been shot I was once informed. That's what you call suffering for your art.

For a Confabulation theme....I would use Confabulation SmileI particularly loved and used to use T.A. Waters's reincarnation themed presentation for it.

I was shown the Gilligan bottle some years ago and thought it very tiny.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Confab question (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL