The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ghostlite Mysteries (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Tarbell 32: Ghostlite Mysteries is this weeks Tarbell download lesson at Penguin, and is on special at the time of this post for $9.95
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5751

The description:
Quote:
This lesson involves a technology which was revolutionary in its time, but has become quite commonplace now... I'm talking about glow-in-the-dark paint.

In the 1920's, a magician named S.W. Reilly developed a superior luminous paint which he named "Ghostlite," and he created quite a few magical uses for it.

Now, even though modern audiences won't be shocked to see things glowing in the dark, if used properly, the effects can still be fun and surprising.

And, a few of the effects use luminous technology in hidden ways. Plus, it's easier than ever to find the materials to construct these unique ideas.

I've deviated from the original lesson (which consisted of a number of isolated ideas) and instead, I've put it all together into a cohesive routine.

In fact, it's a full performance piece that can make you a lot of money during Halloween... or any time of year you want to sell something a bit different.

You'll learn how to test your spectator's psychic power to see if the spirits are willing to come out and play.

I'll show you how to have a ghostly apparition reveal a chosen card sealed in an envelope, and even give you a portable, self-contained version.

Then, see how to animate an eerie, glowing piece of chalk to deliver a personal message from the great beyond... Signed by the spectator's choice.

Also, a ghastly hand reaches from beyond the grave to retrieve one of its owner's belongings hidden by the spectator, but visible in the darkness.

Plus, I'll teach you to create many other odd manifestations, including a strange spectre ready to spring out at any moment from the most unexpected place.

And, as a bonus, you'll learn a couple of techniques for summoning spirits under "test conditions" while you are being restrained.

Of course, I explain every detail, including how to build the perfect table that allows you to perform the entire act without any extra assistants.

That's right, these are practical poltergeists for the professional performer. So, get ready to see just how much fun you can have when the lights go out.

It looks to be worth the small investment. I just purchased it, but cannot watch it at this time, so I cannot give a review now.

Tony
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Wow this sounds cool ,will have to push the button on this one.
colinj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of colinj
I've just finished watching this and really enjoyed it. It is probably important to know that this is played more for comedy than for spooky or bizarre effect. I've watched all the Tarbell series and enjoy Dan Harlan's teaching style. Unlike other lessons in the series this one is formatted as a 30(ish) show instead of just going through the tricks that are in the chapter of Tarbell. This is pretty family friendly ghost show so as long as you are not looking for a lecture on preforming truly frightening seance you will probably enjoy the lesson.

If you haven't been following the Every Trick in the Book series Dan Harlan is going through Tarbell's course in magic and preforming/teaching every trick. Many he as updated for modern audiences, this lesson is a bit of an oddity and I am not sure 'updated' is quite right but judging by the laughter from the audience it was entertaining. Glow in the dark paint is so common place now that I doubt that it will scare anyone so if that is your goal I'd look elsewhere but if you just want to have some fun it is well worth the download.

Dan builds the props whenever possible and his instructions are always very clear and usually pretty simple. This would be a pretty fun show to build and preform if you want a light hearted ghost show.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Tony thank you for sharing!

Colinj thank you for your informative and helpful review!
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
This is performed much like a traditional spookshow, but overall the structure seems more cohesive. I can see some of this material being able to be reworked into a more séance type presentation though. The big thing to me is that Dan shows you the whole set up and talks about the prop construction. You can tell he has really thought this through. And his luminous ghost set up is worth much more than the asking price of this video alone. This has many of the traditional black out stunts you may have read about but not seen unless you are old enough to have seen a spookshow.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2015, Brynmore14 wrote:
This is performed much like a traditional spookshow, but overall the structure seems more cohesive. I can see some of this material being able to be reworked into a more séance type presentation though. The big thing to me is that Dan shows you the whole set up and talks about the prop construction. You can tell he has really thought this through. And his luminous ghost set up is worth much more than the asking price of this video alone. This has many of the traditional black out stunts you may have read about but not seen unless you are old enough to have seen a spookshow.

I can see some of this material being able to be reworked into a more séance type presentation

That's what I think possibly could be done to be more darker.
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
I haven't seen Dan's Ghostlite lecture, yet I'm sure this would come in handy: http://www.theatrefx.com/moreinfo-gl21-glow-tape.html
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Over the weekend I conducted an extensive interview with Dan about his Ghostlite mysteries. You will hear about the challenges that this project posed, including the difficulties of filming in the dark, the development and intention behind this show, other designs for glow in the dark ghosts Dan considered. We also talk about future episodes from the Tarbell series that will be of interest to the denizens of Spooky. Plus a lot on séances and spookshows, wh7ch should come as no surprise from a show called The Séances and Spookshows Podcast.
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1815 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=221

The download link for the interview with Dan can be found in the above thread.
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
And it's an AMAZING interview, chock full o' wonderful information! Great, as usual, Bryn! I'm bummed I missed the special pricing Tony brought to our attention last month, but at the current price I think it is still a bargain...

Thanks!

David
OddFellow
View Profile
New user
Lewisburg, PA
37 Posts

Profile of OddFellow
Although this is an old thread, the Ghostlight Mysteries is still a great deal at the current price. The effects can be used for a more serious Seance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Ghostlite Mysteries (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL