The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Very, very basic stuff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Plato986
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Plato986
I'm trying to learn some very basic slight of hand, to use as an opener with girls. Can anyone suggest a book or website so I can practice?
-Plato986 (that's me)
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
If you want to learn basic sleight of hand. I suggest you get The Card College series.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Dbzkid999

I don't know whether this guy is a regular to the magic scene or just wants a few tricks here and there to spice things up. If the latter is the case, then Tarbell would maybe be a little too big a purchase if that's all he wants. Try having a look at some of the books recommended in one of the sticky topics at the start of the "New To Magic Section".

Magically
Aus
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
I would recommend Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. This book has basic card sleights, cup and balls, coins, sponge balls, impromptu and stage stuff. Pretty much anything you will need starting out. I got my first show entirely from it.
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
If you want just cards get the book Royal Road to Card Magic. Great book for anybody even considering card magic and it's only like 10 bucks.
alexanderN
View Profile
New user
the Netherlands
72 Posts

Profile of alexanderN
Now you see it, now you don't, (I hope that is the right spelling) is a good book. But an opener with girls? I hope, one day, that you do magic to entertain people.

Good luck
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Magic for Dummies.

Great book, especially for beginners.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Seconds Magic for Dummies, great source for beginners, and if you seriously want to pick up girls - learn from the master: Gregory Wilson.

(I've actually heard he's a good friend of Gene Simmons of Kiss).....
Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
If you want some basic magic sleights, then go to http://www.ultimatemagic.com because thay have lots of basic sleights.

p.s. If you get hooked on magic, then you can take a test on ultimatemagic.com and if you pass, you can access higher levels of tricks
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Hi I was wondering if using magic to pick up girls is the best option?? I'm a dj by trade and it would be easy to say "hi I'm a dj, I have my own show..." but wouldn't you rather use your own charm, wit and personality to pick up girls??
just a question??
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
Axio
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Axio
If you are only interested in magic as an opener with girls, learn a few self-working effects. It would do the trick. Search amazon for Karl Fulves, wou will find lots of self-working trick books.
Axio
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Ok, no one else is going to say it so I will; Girls don't dig magic tricks! Not in that way, anyway. They might think you're clever for about 3 seconds, but they'll see right through your angle. You might as well walk up to a girl and show her your comic book collection!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
MiracleMagicNet
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of MiracleMagicNet
I would recommend the Royal Road to Card Magic book, it covers all of the basic stuff which then leads into a lot of great tricks that you can perform with the sleights that the book teaches you.

Regards,
Taylor David
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
Firedice, love the new picture lol.

I'm glad someone has agreed with me. I just think some people don't quite get this life thing Smile
Get some people skills, some personality, a sense of humour and impress girls by being yourself. I mean, impress everybody by being yourself. And if that doesn't work just be happy being you.
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
powen
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of powen
If your at all interested in coins a great introduction would be "Modern Coin Magic" by Bobo.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Royal Road To Card Magic?, Bobos? These are the books to get if you want to begin a serious study of magic. If you would like to learn a few tricks that you can perform, I would look at "Magic for Dummies", or "Complete Idiots Guide to Magic Tricks" or "Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic." But choose only one, otherwise info glut will insue and you won't learn anything.
Magic is fun!!!
Plato986
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Plato986
All right, thanks for all the help. Some said magic is not very popular with the girls, I disagree! A unique opener such as making a coin disappear in front of a HB (hot babe) can break the ice and make you stand out in her mind. And after all the magic part is just to get started. Smile Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let you know how it goes.
-Plato986 (that's me)
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
68 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
So Plato, if that is what you want to learn, I'd really go for Wilson's book. There's a ton of tricks like the coin vanish you mention in there.

Also, do yourself a favor and get a TT, a 6" silk and a 101 trick booklet, you can't imagine the reactions of HBs when you appear a silk out of thin air or launch a personal anti-smoke campaign disappearing cigarettes into your closed fist like I did last Saturday at a club...!
Vanished Zauberer
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Vanished Zauberer
Plato, Plato...don't use magic tricks as an ice breaker or opener with girls. Just get to know them a bit and talk to them, THEN, when you let out that you're a magician, they'll probably say, "OK lets see a trick?" Then blow 'em away and then forget about it unless they ask for more and more and more!

For some good tricks, get some Karl Fulves books and on great book is World's Best Card Ticks by Bob Long.
"Stress is when you wake up screaming and you you realize you haven't even fallen asleep"

MagicTy
www.magicty.iwarp.com
Plato986
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Plato986
All right, here's a bit of an update. I bought Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, and leaned some pretty neat stuff. I've been practicing for about a week, and I just tried a coin disappearance with this HB (maybe an 8). Got her # as well as a few others that night, thanks for all the help.
-Plato986 (that's me)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Very, very basic stuff (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL