The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Marketing as a kids entertainer (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
I created a page from my Facebook titled JJ The Magician "Idaho's Greatest Party Magician". From that page I've posted pics from shows and pics of some balloon animals and designs. Using my Facebook account I've joined local town groups , ex " for sale, under $20, community events , vendors and small business " etc. I started pitching balloon sculptures 6 ft Mickey and Minnie Mouse just to grab some attention , then started doing balloon arches and learned how to do balloon animals and soon enough people were talking . Things didn't pick up until I started posting videos of my performances. Then I started doing just 1 trick videos and word spread. I have been doing 2-3 shows every Saturday and Sunday for the last 2 months. I even did shows for the Salvation Army and last week for the Idaho Special Olympics. So why am I telling you this ? Well I would like to know what you guys do to promote yourself and make you stand out?

As for tricks , a few of my staples are : mouth coil routine , misers dream , rabbit appearance.

I would like to add that I don't do magic full time but would love too, that's the goal 😊

J Rodriguez
God Bless
J Rodriguez
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Well done.

For me marketing is now down to website, word of mouth, and a network of contacts. You seem to have got off to a great start. Hat off to you.
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Thank you Tony, you gotta love word of mouth! I've been thinking about a website but for some reason I'm intimidated by it. Don't know if I should do Go Daddy, or another site , did wix but I personally wasn't happy with the layout so didn't pursue it.

Was thinking about having stickers made with my name and like us on Facebook on it...
I like the idea of putting your info on pencils, pens or magic wands too. Any ideas?
J Rodriguez
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Awesome job, Mr. Rodriguez, and congrats on getting into the greatest business in the world. Make sure, when doing your show, to use your name, quite a bit. The worst thing that you can hear is 'the magician is here'. You don't want that. The kids need to remember you by name, request you by name, and talk about you when you're not around. You don't want them saying 'we had a magician'.
Do things where they repeat your name, throughout show.
Also, I use go daddy, and like them very much. Get a website, pronto. Put pictures of laughing kids on site, with testimonials, etc. Good luck, my friend.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Even though it costs money in designing, printing and stamps, what about direct mailouts?
What's the chances of being noticed and getting good conversions with mailing to kindergartens & daycares?

Also, please check out all the tonnes if information at www.magicianbusiness.com
This site is helping me transition to going full time!
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Also Kids entertainer Hub
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Thank you Eric, I ask the kids if they know any magic words and then I tell them "today's magic word is JJ The Magician" and I have then saying it through out the show and at the end I thank them for having me and I ask them what my name is and they all shout it out. It's a great feeling! Looks like I will be giving godaddy a try.

Scott, As for mailers I might just do that this summer. I like that idea.
Thanks for the link I will have to check it out.
J Rodriguez
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
At one time, I shared a few ideas on this thread (you'll find it in the Tricky Business area):

Magic Café thread titled... Increasing your children's birthday party business

Also, look for posts on older threads that discuss Jim Snack's "Success-In-Magic" course, and James Munton's "Zero to Booked Solid" course. Those might be helpful resources you could invest in.

http://success-in-magic.com/

http://zerotobookedsolid.com/

I also like the podcasts from www.magicianbusiness.com (mentioned above). Also, I think that Ken and Julian are offering free access to module one of their "How to build a magic show", if you are an IBM member. I received an email about this a couple of weeks ago. But maybe that access is open to everyone, because the landing page is similar for the regular version and the IBM version. Then again, maybe you get access to a couple more items if you're an IBM member.

http://www.magicianbusiness.com/start/

http://buildyourmagicshow.com/

http://buildyourmagicshow.com/ibm/

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
As Eric said, repeating your name during your shows is key. But it's not as simple as it sounds. Since my real middle name is Willmore, I chose Willmore the Wizard as my magic stage name. And you would think that's pretty memorable. But even when I repeated my name (and got the kids to repeat it several times during my shows), afterwards I would still encounter some kids calling me "Magic Dude" or "Mr. Magician" or something similar.

It wasn't until I wrote a theme song with a catchy melody featuring my name, that kids really started remembering it. From then on, whenever I arrived at a venue for a repeat booking, the kids would be singing my Willmore the Wizard song to me! And parents would sometimes "complain" that they couldn't get the song out of their heads! Is THAT great marketing, or what?

My wife Leslie and I specialize in creating custom theme songs for entertainers. See our website for details.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
close_up_act
View Profile
Special user
Idaho Falls
774 Posts

Profile of close_up_act
Thanks for the links Donald ...
I think a theme song sounds cool, I'm working on a routine now that involves a poem with a story line. Still a work in progress.

Greats tips and advice guys thank you so much!
J Rodriguez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Marketing as a kids entertainer (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL