The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Derren Brown Spirit Table ? (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Hello everyone,

I have a question regrading this illusion, Derren Brown's spirit table, it's demonstrated here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj177SqjydA

and demonstrated in "An Evening Of Wonders" as well here from 36:00 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzTobzwcQzI

I'm not here to reveal anything My question is I believe this is done by various Mentalism and Hypnosis techniques, I found an illusion for sale called "The Spirit Table" so my question is simply, is this the spirit table product or not ?

(Also may anyone please tell me if this is an original Derren Brown effect cuz I remember it was performed by someone else, the table turning !, thanks Smile !
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Not sure if this is relavent to your question but there's very good table tilting info in Phasmatis Opus.
https://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/phasma......na-book/
Diasgemini
View Profile
Regular user
Paris & Portugal
101 Posts

Profile of Diasgemini
It's not an illusion, he just uses the power of satan...
www.diasfrancisco.com

Would you give up your hands to fly? That is what the birds have done!
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Take it upon yourself to do a little research; the literature of bizarre & spook magic is filled with instruction to tip tables. You don't need to know Mr Brown's method. & no self respecting magician will give you the answer you seek.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
He waits for small local earthquakes...
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Mr. Timoothy, what the hell are you saying ? I never asked for no methods, I simply asked if the illusion that was on sale called "spirit table" was it the one demonstrated by Mr. Brown ? That's all. I didn't ask for no methods, take it upon yourself to read fully what I have typed. Thanks for the citation though, do you think there are any better sources ?
Sean Lough
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
214 Posts

Profile of Sean Lough
Not sure that this helps, but without the link to the effect you found for sale, there is no way to assure you a correct answer. However, I am unaware of Brown endorsing any spirit effect, or of him using an effect that is "off the shelf," so to speak.
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
There are several spirit tables on the market for we "bizarre" types. I'm not sure but I think the table used in An Evening of Wonders is a normal table. There are several techniques to do *tilting. If you can post a link to the table you found maybe someone here owns it and can help.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 6, 2015, MagicalFreak3 wrote:
Mr. Timoothy, what the hell are you saying ?

I'm saying, sir, that you are treading ground that can very easily tip into exposure & it is unbecoming.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Help!!! The penny forum is falling into the cellar!!!

Maybe helping the original poster find some sources would be helpful. It's actually a great question. Probably many on here that are looking for the same or similar. I think we can discuss this without exposure.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The best thing to do is calling Derren Brown and asking him. After all, he's the artist...
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, JAlenS wrote:

Maybe helping the original poster find some sources would be helpful. It's actually a great question. Probably many on here that are looking for the same or similar. I think we can discuss this without exposure.

The cornerstones of bizarre magic are filled with methods for tipping tables.

Additionally, the OP is asking about a Derren Brown presentation, looking for the closest marketed effect, on a Google searchable forum. If he had any respect for his fellow artists, he wouldn't be asking this question (1) AT ALL and (2) on a publicly searchable forum.

It is - & has always been considered - bad form to publicly discuss or search out another performer's material by committee. It is bad manners.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, Mr Timothy Gray wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, JAlenS wrote:

The cornerstones of bizarre magic are filled with methods for tipping tables.

Additionally, the OP is asking about a Derren Brown presentation, looking for the closest marketed effect, on a Google searchable forum. If he had any respect for his fellow artists, he wouldn't be asking this question (1) AT ALL and (2) on a publicly searchable forum.

It is - & has always been considered - bad form to publicly discuss or search out another performer's material by committee. It is bad manners.

Calm down, dear boy.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Not on this issue.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

jstreiff
View Profile
Special user
701 Posts

Profile of jstreiff
It might be helpful to know that Andy Nyman, who directs Derren Brown, has said that most of the effects used by Brown are custom. It therefore makes sense that any given effect he performs on a special or show is probably not something you could find elsewhere.
John
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Exactly. Mr Brown & Co. have taken the TIME & EFFORT to create their own effects. It's nonsense to seek them out in marketed form.

It's time magicians, mentalists & bizarrists worked at being artists, not consumers.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

TEB3
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
387 Posts

Profile of TEB3
Timothy is correct. Personally knowing what some of these very good entertainers and performers go through to pull something off, I totally respect THEIR intellectual property rights. The same for my friend Banachek and many others who continually get ripped off as to their effects, but by people wanting to replicate their actual performance (always pitifully imitated) and even doing a poor copy of their mannerisms.

TEB3/Lary/Traveler
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Derren Brown Spirit Table ? (23 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL