The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Woofle dust? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Quote:
F4n745yDx says: I am god.

And you don't know what woofle dust is? Guess it's not a heavenly instrument....
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
A long time ago, I suggested using microscopic glass beads as "Woofle Dust," and was shot down by the elitists. I submit that first, they have apparent substance in mass, second, when spread they cannot be seen, and finally, their presence if used as part of a trick can seem truly phenomenal...
Slim Price
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Roy McIlwee
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Roy McIlwee
I quit using woofle dust a few years ago and now I only use a piecost. If performing for magicians I usually resort to a henway.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Sanscan, this is about presentation, not method. The glass beads... AKA Nemo Control are a great idea and it has been a fairly well kept secret for the past thirty odd years. Sorry about the purists... they sometimes forget to clean under their fingernails in their efforts to keep their magic 'organic'.

Roy, there is a separate section for humor in magic on the café. Your chicken pot pie might go over there... perhaps with a sprinkle of sugar and woofle dust?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Gee, for the last 55 years or so, I thought method and presentation were all part of performance...
<G> Slim Price/sanscan
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
They are, but this thread is focusing on presentation. I imagine when developing a performance, one might focus on method and presentation seperately. For example, this thread is coming up with presentational ideas (for those who have taken Mr. Townsend seriously).

I think original questions had no focus on method, that's all.

:stout:
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Ah yes, where does the magic emanate from? Is it the wave of a hand or is it both arms raised with the fingers pointing towards the target? Or, is it a tool, or a substance? Or is it a magic word or incantation?

Or some combination of those ideas?

Quote:
Where does it come from?

You can make woofle dust by mixing any deodorant that's guaranteed to keep your skin dry with a skin cream that’s guaranteed to keep your skin moist. You then have to say a magic word, but I won’t write that here. PM me for more information. (This needs to be moved to Secret Sessions now!) Smile

I wonder when woofle dust, or the general idea of a powdery substance being used to cause magic was first thought of. In ancient (Greek?) theater, at the end of a production, a solitary dancer would prance onto the stage and throw up a handful of shiny glitter into the air. (This also is at the end of some cartoons. The Pendragons end their stage show this way too.) Was that glitter supposed to be magical?

Woofle dust has been used as an excuse to go to the pockets. That’s what I thought it was really for.

Quote:
Does it come in a box? a bag?

You can get it in either, but do not store it in medicinal or pharmaceutical containers. It could result in very bad medicine. Very bad… One magician tried this, and he not only turned into a medicine man, but his act is now the equivalent of taking two valiums.

Quote:
How much is enough?

It varies. You have to experiment some, but it’s better to use too little than too much. Keep increasing the amount as you practice. Too much woofle dust is the reason a lot of tricks seem to go wrong, and then later have a surprising magical ending. Too much woofle dust might make you famous, but then you’ll only be able to perform when given wads of money and only in front of a camera. Few of us wish to be so limited.

Quote:
What happens when you don't use the right amount?

Any more than a handful and you’ll have dry skin and you’ll smell. It’s not so bad though. You can put a clothespin on your nose so you won’t smell anymore. The dry skin will make your skin thicker, which you’ll need anyway if you’re going to be a magician.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Woofle dust? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL