The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Worst lib intro this year (maybe ever) (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
So, I walked in the door and the lady immediately blurted "Did you park right out the door? I don't know how you're going to get your equipment down the steps because we don't have an elevator and the show is downstairs"

Not "Hello, my name is -or- you must be the magician... Just... "I don't know how you're going to get your equipment down the steps".

Me "Oh, no steps? I have three trips to make".

She, her "Well, there is one more way which might work. We have another driveway down around back and maybe you can park there... It's on the lower level"

Me "O....... K"

For the introduction;
"Good afternoon. The friends of the library raised almost 250,000 dollars last year so we could get a few of these programs. This one is only a fraction of that but I hope its half way decent because - I haven't seen it - and - I hope we spent our money well, considering that we had other choices ... I guess you can start now".

Me "Thank you".
-----------

Alright - Your turn now for the worst intro you yourself had this year.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Bad - but I might match it.

A few years ago I did a show for a high school graduation, all kids about seventeen or eighteen. It was in the function room of a local race track, about 200 kids.

Just before I went on the track manager, a nasty little man, took the microphone and spent ten minutes telling the kids what he thought of them. He said that all teenagers are scum, only interested in getting drunk and causing trouble. If he had known beforehand what sort of crowd it was he wouldn't have let them use the function room, etc. He completely killed the happy atmosphere in the room. Then he introduced me: Here's your entertainment. And you scumbags better show him the respect your elders deserve. I have my eye on you.

I walked on to stunned silence. Anything I did after that intro was going to die a death, so I just faced the manager, raised my hand in a Nazi salute, and screamed Heil Hitler.

That got a huge laugh and broke the tension, but I was never welcome in that venue again! No loss. The show was a great success in the end.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I think I have one that will give you a run for the money. although it was not for my magic show.

saturday night I performed my show but then sunday morning I was the guest speaker. it was for a church.
they have 2 services and I was the guest speaker for both services.

the show saturday night was awesome then come sunday morning.

i was sitting off to the side in the guest speaker chair. after a few hyms and songs there were announcements then me. during the announcements they introduced one of the board members who come up and shared with the church that they had decided to fire their current pastor and that next week would be his last sunday here.
please welcome our guest speaker sam sandler.

wait, what, he how NO WAY they just fired their pastor right there on the spot and then introduced me!

they did this BOTH services.

ugh! LOL

the good news is that what I spoke on happened to be exactly what that church needed to hear. so I guess God worked it all out. but sheesh to fire your pastor and then introduce me in the same sentence. LOL

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Yikes. Those stories are crazy. Never had any bad intros that I can remember. You have a giant pair Tony for doing the Nazi salute - I would never do that, though he deserved it.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2015, danfreed wrote:
Yikes. Those stories are crazy. Never had any bad intros that I can remember. You have a giant pair Tony for doing the Nazi salute - I would never do that, though he deserved it.

Better that, then lighting the mans newspaper on fire Smile
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I had a hyp show for a large insurance company's Chistmas party. 9:00 PM. It tuned out to be in the basement of a dump of a bar in one of the seedier sections of the city. When I got there, there were only about a dozen people in the audience. Men in tuxedos, women in gowns, and no one was talking to one another. It seems that the guy in charge of the party forgot to rent a room, and this place was the only place he could get. 2 guys had a fist fight before I got there, and one guy got fired. I tried to do the show, couldn't get any volunteers, collected my check, and went home.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I always hand the announcer my own printed-out intro. Depending on the venue, sometimes my intros build up my status by listing a few of my accomplishments. But my favorite intro is a funny one:

"Ladies and gentlemen,

Once in a lifetime, a GREAT magician comes along to AMAZE and ASTOUND you ...

(pause) ....

While we're waiting, here's Arthur Stead!"
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I always hand the announcer my own printed-out intros. Depending on the venue, sometimes my intros build up my status by listing a few of my accomplishments. But my favorite intro is a funny one:

"Ladies and gentlemen,

Once in a lifetime, a GREAT magician comes along to AMAZE and ASTOUND you ...

(pause) ....

While we're waiting, here's Arthur Stead!"
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Awful.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
My intro for the adult shows: Ladies and gentlemen, when they made this man they threw away the mold. Unfortunately most of it grew back on again. For one evening only, by special permission of the Governor of the Central Mental Hospital, please give a warm welcome to Mr Tony Black.
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Worse.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I like the Arthur intro.

Back in the days when comedy clubs were every where
One M. C. Introduced me with words that included
Harris finds doing comedy cheaper than psychotherapy.

Another was a missing my first name
Calling me Harry
and mispronouncing my last name.
Instead of Deutsch ( with the EU as in Freud)
He prounonced the EU as the oo in look.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Library directors are an interesting animal. Maybe you should raise your fee to $250,000. Obviously they have the budget.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Bad - but I might match it.

A few years ago I did a show for a high school graduation, all kids about seventeen or eighteen. It was in the function room of a local race track, about 200 kids.

Just before I went on the track manager, a nasty little man, took the microphone and spent ten minutes telling the kids what he thought of them. He said that all teenagers are scum, only interested in getting drunk and causing trouble. If he had known beforehand what sort of crowd it was he wouldn't have let them use the function room, etc. He completely killed the happy atmosphere in the room. Then he introduced me: Here's your entertainment. And you scumbags better show him the respect your elders deserve. I have my eye on you.

I walked on to stunned silence. Anything I did after that intro was going to die a death, so I just faced the manager, raised my hand in a Nazi salute, and screamed Heil Hitler.

That got a huge laugh and broke the tension, but I was never welcome in that venue again! No loss. The show was a great success in the end.

Tony;

I like this much better; no fires were set and no danger of anyone getting hurt.

May I suggest an addition to the "salute" next time you so this, get the entire audience to stand up and raise hands and chant Heil Hitler as loud as they can for a few minutes before you start your show.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
That would have been great Howie! Pity I didn't think of it. He deserved it.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
That would have been great Howie! Pity I didn't think of it. He deserved it.

Tony; I agree with you on this one
A Show By Joe
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island
408 Posts

Profile of A Show By Joe
One time when I was doing a show for a charity event, the annoncer had my info on the flyer. Instead of looking at my actual NAME, she read my webpage as one word, and pronounced it "assolebjoe". She walked off the stage to dead silence. It took someone about a minute to tell her what she said. She ran on stage during my warm up waving her arms to explain for it "felt like forever" about what she read. I said it wasn't the first time.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Great story Joe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Worst lib intro this year (maybe ever) (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL