The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » A ball that bounces on its own (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
I'm wondering if there is an effect where a ball keeps bouncing without anyone touching it. (keeps returning to the same height). If not, what would be a method of accomplishing it?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I suggest you search the science forums, they are coming out with stuff like this all the time. If it does it on it own, then it doesn't have anything to do with the art of magic.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
You might be able to achieve something similar to what you want with the mechanism from an automatic putting cup similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/JEF-World-Golf-Aut......03UFEA6M

There may not be enough force with this particular one, but the method may be adaptable.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Research ways to convert rotary motion to linear motion (this is the opposite of how a locomotive's drive wheels work). Set these mechanics so the linear motion is vertical. Add a perpendicular arm to the linear motion end, which goes to the ball.

Conceal the entire mechanics as you would for an Aga levitation. Manage your angles and you're in business. The device would produce a ball that appears to bounce at a consistent height and speed.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Thank you all for the interesting suggestions!
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
Research ways to convert rotary motion to linear motion (this is the opposite of how a locomotive's drive wheels work). Set these mechanics so the linear motion is vertical. Add a perpendicular arm to the linear motion end, which goes to the ball.

Conceal the entire mechanics as you would for an Aga levitation. Manage your angles and you're in business. The device would produce a ball that appears to bounce at a consistent height and speed.

Michael,

This intrigued me so I did exactly what you said. It worked great but I couldn't get the ball to drop back into the mechanism every time so I built a funnel type device to catch the ball. Now the time lapse from the time it enters the machine and shoots the ball back up is to long. It gives away the method. Any idea on how to shorten this time.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2015, Eldon wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:

Michael,

This intrigued me so I did exactly what you said. It worked great but I couldn't get the ball to drop back into the mechanism every time so I built a funnel type device to catch the ball. Now the time lapse from the time it enters the machine and shoots the ball back up is to long. It gives away the method. Any idea on how to shorten this time.

Eldon,

Eldon,
I'm a bit confused. My idea would have the ball permanently attached to the "arm". Is there any way you can email me some photos of yours so I can see what you have?

Check the one on the left, which shows the rotary to linear motion I am talking about.
http://mw.concord.org/modeler/classic.html

The illustrations below show my modification to the machine. The mechanism is positioned vertically. The blue is a solid arm, bent at 90 degrees. The red shows the ball fixed to the arm. The audience view would be from the left and the mechanics would be concealed as one would for an Aga.

~michael baker
The Magic Company
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
The answer id quite simple.

Make it from Flubber! ;-)
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Michael,

The Aga idea went right over my head. Neat method. Much better than mine.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Eldon,

Do you have the means to make something like this? I can think of two applications for my Halloween show.

1) A giant eyeball that jumps up and down from a box or basket.

2) A floating head or skull (slower motion but still cyclical).

It could also make for a very cool rising/floating jumbo card. A vertical gooseneck could even allow for a hoop pass. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I came up with a different solution for my forthcoming "Bouncing, Floating Beach Balls" that will soon be published in The Wizards' Journal #29. The beach ball is left bouncing on its own, stage center. Then with a few waves of the mystical magician's hand, it begins the "flubber-like" bouncing, higher and higher until it hits the ceiling and stays there. Just one of many ways to have fun with a beach ball during a magic show.And you thought card on the ceiling was annoying?
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1137 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
Eldon,

Do you have the means to make something like this? I can think of two applications for my Halloween show.

1) A giant eyeball that jumps up and down from a box or basket.

2) A floating head or skull (slower motion but still cyclical).

It could also make for a very cool rising/floating jumbo card. A vertical gooseneck could even allow for a hoop pass. Smile

Michael,

Yes, I'm sure I can. Only problem is I'm backed up in the shop. No way I could have it by October.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Eldon,

Not a problem! My workload is busy, too. I've had to turn down several project requests lately.

I am fairly well set for this Halloween anyway (I plan ahead!) Fortunately, there are more Halloweens yet to come, so we've plenty of time to discuss this.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Awww, gee, guys, now you've me daydreaming. A column of air under the ball, controlled by a solenoid valve, controlled by an Arduino. A few technical things to work out, but that's where the fun is.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » A ball that bounces on its own (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL