The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dancing Candle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yllawwally
View Profile
New user
Vegas
21 Posts

Profile of yllawwally
Does anyone know of a dancing candle? I want a dancing cane, that look like a large taper candle. It would be great if it could be lit, like a candle, as well. Does this exist?
ULockJustice
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbus, OH
201 Posts

Profile of ULockJustice
That sounds like a very specific prop. If you become proficient in the dancing cane you may consider constructing your own. The basic construction would be the same, but you would top it with a large candle that you could light.
This is the profile of Comedian + Magician Erik Tait. A self-promoting sleight of hand artist who thinks he is the cat's meow.

PM for beard tips.
ULockJustice
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbus, OH
201 Posts

Profile of ULockJustice
That sounds like a very specific prop. If you become proficient in the dancing cane you may consider constructing your own. The basic construction would be the same, but you would top it with a large candle that you could light.
This is the profile of Comedian + Magician Erik Tait. A self-promoting sleight of hand artist who thinks he is the cat's meow.

PM for beard tips.
ULockJustice
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbus, OH
201 Posts

Profile of ULockJustice

PM for beard tips.
yllawwally
View Profile
New user
Vegas
21 Posts

Profile of yllawwally
I may have to make something myself. I just thought that it may already exist. Since there are torches, I figured a candle would make sense from a thematic view.
yllawwally
View Profile
New user
Vegas
21 Posts

Profile of yllawwally
I'm getting fairly descent with the cane. I've been practicing about a month now. I keep tapping against my hand or body. Need to also improve passing it from hand to hand. I'm not ready to perform for anyone, yet. I'm hoping to do a show for my family in December. I figure an hour a day 5 days a week, would allow me sufficient time to give an entertaining performance.
Ryguytheguy
View Profile
New user
California
22 Posts

Profile of Ryguytheguy
If you paint the cane the same color as the candle, you could add a small spike at the top to put about an inch of candle on so it'll light for you. With the small amount of candle you shouldn't have to worry about it breaking or coming off. It'd be easy to redo after you burn out and should be fairly cheap.
yllawwally
View Profile
New user
Vegas
21 Posts

Profile of yllawwally
I will probably take this route. I'll buy another dancing cane. The one I have has a metal finial that appears to be glued in. I had been thinking this was my only way to go. Do you think the candle will be able to be lit while performing with it? I also thought about an alcohol lamp. I think those stay lit easier, but it is more difficult to create. Mounting the candle on top would be the easiest way.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
The Dancing Cane is a stage effect, so if you are making your own prop--and you will probably have to--you should consider using an electric candle effect for the flame. A live flame will probably burn up the working method and may not be feasible to do outdoors due to breezes or indoors due to increasingly strict fire regulations. Finally, you might contact Dirk Losander. If he hasn' experimented with this idea it would surprise me, but I don't think he offers such a prop. If he doesn't there may be a good reason.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
yllawwally
View Profile
New user
Vegas
21 Posts

Profile of yllawwally
Thanks, for the advice MRSharpe. This is for a one time indoor show. It's a private show for family, so fire restrictions are not an issue. Of course I want it to be safe, will have a fire extinguisher on hand. Is Mr. Losander a member of the Café?
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
If you go to Dirk's website, www.losanders.me, you will find his contact information. Good luck and welcome to the Café.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Dancing Candle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL