The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The basics (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lamarpook
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of lamarpook
I know that magic is a lifelong learning experience, but when someone says you have to learn the basics, what exactly are they referring to? This question came up from my niece recently, and my answer was less than eloquent. Help please? I know she's going to ask again. Thanks.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
There's some good advice along this line in another thread in this forum with the subject line "Advice for New Magicians."
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
lamarpook
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of lamarpook
Thanks, djtrouten, I'll check that out.
magicshowprod
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
109 Posts

Profile of magicshowprod
And may I add.......three cheers for dhtrouten for proving there is a nice way to direct new folks to other threads! My hats off to you sir!
Don Shock
The Magical World of Don Shock
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Thanks, Don.

I realized later that to be truly helpful, I should have included the link:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=41

And to be even more helpful, I could have pointed out that Anand Khalsa's post in that thread is one of the more helpful posts on this topic I've seen on the Magic Café.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
lamarpook
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of lamarpook
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2015, magicshowprod wrote:
And may I add.......three cheers for dhtrouten for proving there is a nice way to direct new folks to other threads! My hats off to you sir!

Yes, I should have mentioned that. Very smooth and very friendly. Thanks again.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Beginners seem to think they are not welcome at magic conventions. It is certainly one of the best steps they can make is to GO TO CONVENTIONS. They meet the real people, have access to props and advice, see the acts perform, and gather encouragement. Prices of conventions range from Free to hundreds of dollars. My observation after only 54 years, is that price is no indicator of the good you can get from them. The shows themselves can be expensive but most lecturers get the same "courtesy" fee and keep the prices down. By all means attend several a year. They will help you get the most from your books and DVDs. Plus you can meet and discuss magic with the real magicians that understand your agenda.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2015, Bob Sanders wrote:
Beginners seem to think they are not welcome at magic conventions. It is certainly one of the best steps they can make is to GO TO CONVENTIONS. They meet the real people, have access to props and advice, see the acts perform, and gather encouragement. Prices of conventions range from Free to hundreds of dollars. My observation after only 54 years, is that price is no indicator of the good you can get from them. The shows themselves can be expensive but most lecturers get the same "courtesy" fee and keep the prices down. By all means attend several a year. They will help you get the most from your books and DVDs. Plus you can meet and discuss magic with the real magicians that understand your agenda.

DITTO! Conventions and lectures are invaluable. You meet other people in the same field and see new and interesting material. Some of it can be bought. I realize some people have limited funds (I'm not rich either) but the material you manage to put between your ears, no one can ever take away from you.

Ray

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Professor Marvel
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Professor Marvel
I think my biggest mistake at the start was thinking that magic was something you buy rather than something to learn and do. Focus on learning methods and techniques in the area you're interested in and not on chasing the newest miracle product. My experience anyway.
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Great advice here.

I'm off to the Blackpool forum in February and I was nervous that relative newcomers wouldn't be made welcome. I feel a lot more encouraged now. Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, Professor Marvel wrote:
I think my biggest mistake at the start was thinking that magic was something you buy rather than something to learn and do. Focus on learning methods and techniques in the area you're interested in and not on chasing the newest miracle product. My experience anyway.

Well, "Captain" (I grew up in the '40s, and Captain Marvel was a comic book figure (almost rivaled Superman!)

One learns from one's mistakes! Youse have learned!

I might add that learning principles, is as, if not more, important than methods and techniques.(Psychology is the "main ingredient" in the successful performance of a magic trick. It may be lousy math., but, I maintain that a trick is 5% sleight of hand skill, 5% sensory illusion, 5% esoteric principles of science, and, EIGHTY FIVE PERCENT, PSYCHOLOGY!

Doc Tarbell wrote an epic course! Still in print--and selling--after almost a hundred years! (What I learned from Doc, helped me make a living for 70 years.)

Dick
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, and surreptitious itinerant mountebank
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2015, Professor Marvel wrote:

Well, one learns from one's mistakes!!! "Youse" have obviously learned!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2015, MagicSarah wrote:
Great advice here.

I'm off to the Blackpool forum in February and I was nervous that relative newcomers wouldn't be made welcome. I feel a lot more encouraged now. Smile

Trust me, if this is your first convention you will be blown away. Enjoy!
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
I can't wait! Smile
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
Lamarpook here is a guide I had written some time ago that answers this question and more which might be of benefit.

Magically

Aus
Doug Peterson
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
13 Posts

Profile of Doug Peterson
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2015, Aus wrote:
Lamarpook here is a guide I had written some time ago that answers this question and more which might be of benefit.

Magically

Aus

Thank you. That is a very handy guide.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The basics (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL